What's new

Help me pick a synthetic brush

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
People do tend to rave about the Bruce, Big Bruce, RR 400, etc. They certainly are priced right, like most of Italian Barber's stuff. I often wonder if I'll start to like the ultra soft brushes.... All of mine have the scrub factor I like at the moment.... but these things have a way of changing over time.
I have a sneaking suspicion that RazorRock brushes are Yaqi knots set a little higher. So much of Italian Barber’s inventory is Yaqi OEM.

I know the Simpson Trafalgar is a very popular brush. Keeping in mind, YMMV, I didn't care for mine at all. It was far too pokey for me. I love a gentle scrub but I think synths do better when they don't try to emulate the feel of natural fibers and are a thing all to themselves. The soft synths are wonderful when that's what you enjoy.

I do realize, this is one man's opinion.... So many people love the Trafalgar brushes in all three sizes, I hesitate to post something negative about them. You might just love one if you get it.
Yeah, I find the Trafalgar brushes to be fantastic bowl latherers and face painters. But I don’t enjoy them at all as face latherers. Once I started exclusively face lathering, I put my T3 and T1 in storage. As you say, too pokey, too stiff, didn’t splay well. Maggards and Stirling have great synthetics especially when just starting out. Also, I love my AP Shave Co Synbad brush (The AP Shave Co Cashmere is also a favorite).

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm afraid I migrated to all badger brushes.. and 4 boars for DecemBOAR here....The three synths I have left after I sold or donated all my synths were the Omega Evo Original, a Rudy Vey STF with an Amboyna burl handle and a Alpha Shaving G5"D"... I let my wife choose any of them... all of them... and she chose the Rudy Vey and the Alpha Shaving brushes... @Eric_75 is enjoying the Omega Evo Original.... All of them are soft... the STF knot has a bit of scrub...

I ended up with 23 brushes after I'd been here for a few months or so... I'm down to 11, but as I said.. 4 of those are Zenith boar brushes I use one month out of the year. LOL... I love the badgers with the gentle scrub... not the high end 3 Band badgers.... The two band Manchurians or the ShaveMac Two-band Silvertips seem to work for me.

Based on the info provided, the apshave cashmere would be a good choice.

The angel hair from turn-n-shave is the same thing but I'm a fan shape.

Ultra soft on the skin and generates a wonderful lather!
THIS!!!!

APShave Co Cashmere was the 1st synth that got me thinking of getting rid of my badgers-briefly. No other synth has had that effect on me.

marty

Hello all,

I'm an individual who's had a very back and forth relationship with traditional wet shaving. I don't find a get a particularly better shave when using a brush and soap compared to my can of proraso white, but I do enjoy the ritual when I have the time (usually just shave before work).

I would like to get a fairly decent synthetic brush without breaking the bank. I usually just do one pass + touchups and always face lather. I've been looking at the Simpsons Trafalgar and apshaveco options (such as synbad and cashmere). I think one reason I usually like the proaso can is I found in the past that using a brush on a second pass (if I decide to do one) felt uncomfortable/irritating (especially on my neck), which is why I'd like something soft. I'm not sure if going to soft would be counter productive for face lathering or not.

I appreciate any suggestions you folks have.

Thank you!

Tavian Go
My favourite synth brush is the Edwin Jagger synthetic. A bit pricey, but it is well worth the investment. If you want a less expensive option go with the RazoRock Plissoft. A fine brush at a good price.

Top Bottom