What's new

Help me like badger brushes, please.

Both are nearly dry and starting to bloom pretty nicely. The boar smell is almost completely gone, but the badger smell is still pretty obvious. After rubbing both on my face I can say the badger is a bit scritchy (though not as bad as my Berkely 46 was), and the boar feels FANTASTIC. I'm going to use the board tomorrow and put the badger through another round of break-in.

IMG_1650.jpeg

Correction on my previous post: I just buried my nose in the boar and can’t smell anything but Proraso White. The badger just smells like mildly damp badger...hardly soapy at all.

I used the boar this morning and can honestly say (without hyperbole) it's the best brush to ever touch my face. A 30-second load of Barrister & Mann 42 resulted in mounds of face-lathering joy. Zero scritch and loads of scrub. I'm thinking of buying another one now so I don't have to wait as long between uses! Maybe even branch out to a 620, 1800, 2000, etc..

I started this thread looking for advice on badgers and accidentally asked about boars, instead. I'm glad I did, as it would have taken me longer to find this one. No doubt the SOC badger will be a fine brush, too, but I think I already prefer the boar. I'll let you know after tomorrow's shave.

*** Edit to say I used the BOAR this morning, not the BADGER. I keep mis-typing these, sorry.

Last edited:

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I used the badger this morning and can honestly say (without hyperbole) it's the best brush to ever touch my face. A 30-second load of Barrister & Mann 42 resulted in mounds of face-lathering joy. Zero scritch and loads of scrub. I'm thinking of buying another one now so I don't have to wait as long between uses! Maybe even branch out to a 620, 1800, 2000, etc..

I started this thread looking for advice on badgers and accidentally asked about boars, instead. I'm glad I did, as it would have taken me longer to find this one. No doubt the SOC badger will be a fine brush, too, but I think I already prefer the boar. I'll let you know after tomorrow's shave.

I’ve always wondered how good the SOC Badger is and have fun not heard good things about it. I tend to spend more money than I need to, like my current quest to collect a Chubby 2 in every hair/fiber type available. Glad you enjoy it. There is definitely something different about a good 2 Band.

I’ve always wondered how good the SOC Badger is and have fun not heard good things about it. I tend to spend more money than I need to, like my current quest to collect a Chubby 2 in every hair/fiber type available. Glad you enjoy it. There is definitely something different about a good 2 Band.

I just edited my post to say I used the BOAR this morning. Sorry for the confusion (again). The BOAR was amazing, and I'm thinking I'll probably like it better than the BADGER. I'll be using the BADGER for the first time tomorrow.

Man, I've really got to get better and referencing the correct brush in my posts!

I have the SOC boar and badger. The boar was pretty much soft from day one and is now incredibly soft broken in. The badger is a relatively new addition and is definitely not in the same league. It continues to improve and I've had it now for about 1.5 months and it is tons better than when new. I like the variety but the boar is way way better and basically amazing like @NicksDad says.

Now I'm thinking about trying a mixed boar/badger brush. Semogue naturally.

I have the SOC boar and badger. The boar was pretty much soft from day one and is now incredibly soft broken in. The badger is a relatively new addition and is definitely not in the same league. It continues to improve and I've had it now for about 1.5 months and it is tons better than when new. I like the variety but the boar is way way better and basically amazing like @NicksDad says.

Now I'm thinking about trying a mixed boar/badger brush. Semogue naturally.
I'm not saying the Mistura SOC is the most perfect balance of scrub, density, flow-through, and value that I've encountered in a shave brush, but I'm not saying it's not, either.

... and so it begins... :D

Have fun and happy shaves! :)

Yep, I'm in collecting mode now. I just bought a lightly used SOC Taj and 610 (both boars) from the BST, and my Amazon cart is starting to fill up. Also looking at Zenith and Omega, and thinking about joining the Wolf Whiskers waiting list. *sigh* This site is so enabling.

Yep, I'm in collecting mode now. I just bought a lightly used SOC Taj and 610 (both boars) from the BST, and my Amazon cart is starting to fill up. Also looking at Zenith and Omega, and thinking about joining the Wolf Whiskers waiting list. *sigh* This site is so enabling.
It's fun for us but not so much for the wallet, haha. Once you get settled in, join the monthly GRUME so that you can start enjoying all the things in your den. It's helping me a lot. :)

It's fun for us but not so much for the wallet, haha. Once you get settled in, join the monthly GRUME so that you can start enjoying all the things in your den. It's helping me a lot. :)

I tried GRUME back in March but didn’t last. I just couldn’t get the Rex Envoy dialed in. Next time around I’ll fare much better.

The badger performed exceptionally well on its inaugural run today. Zero odor after the second break-in lather and no noticeable scritch while face lathering (though my skin did feel a bit tender after the initial rinse). The Cool Wave provided an unexpectedly strong burn, likely due to the exfoliation, but all is well as I type this. I’m still leaning toward the boar as my favorite, but I don’t see me kicking the badger out of rotation at all. They’re different enough to each secure a permanent spot.

26FB7F22-5DEA-45D9-8FF3-F4AF32F52261.jpeg

I'm wondering why nobody suggested Maggard's SHD knots as a badger option given their competitive price and positive reviews. Not that I've tried any but a few experienced wet shaving veterans tell me that they are absolutely the best value for your money.

I'm wondering why nobody suggested Maggard's SHD knots as a badger option given their competitive price and positive reviews. Not that I've tried any but a few experienced wet shaving veterans tell me that they are absolutely the best value for your money.

Ive gotten a couple of PMs mentioning the SHD, and have been eying them as a potential knot in a custom Wolf Whiskers brush. At the moment, though, I think I’m preferring boar.

I think Maggard is missing out on a huge amount of sales by not selling the SHD knots in full brushes (rather than separate knots). Most folks don't like the idea of having to get a handle and either send to someone else to set the handle or most likely do it themselves incorrectly.

If Maggrd sold those SHD knots in full brushes, they would sell out in minutes.

I think Maggard is missing out on a huge amount of sales by not selling the SHD knots in full brushes (rather than separate knots). Most folks don't like the idea of having to get a handle and either send to someone else to set the handle or most likely do it themselves incorrectly.

If Maggrd sold those SHD knots in full brushes, they would sell out in minutes.

They do offer a couple handles that are resin. They stated they need to hire more people just to keep up with demands and time constraints to set the brushes before shipping. However, they have an option to create your own build that’s well priced. You pick your handle of the two, usually. Then pick the knot and it will tell you which size you need for which handle, too. You can add silicon packets for $2. They use 25mm holes for the brushes but if you want more loft, you can always throw in a quarter to lift the knot. Although I recommend just glueing it right in with the silicon. If you were to buy another handle elsewhere, get it with the diameter that the “make it yourself” brush build dictates. Usually Maggard knots have a diameter of 1mm over the knot size. The only exception is the Maggards knot that isn’t available anymore. ;-)
Here’s a chart for the diameter needed for each knot specified:
proxy.php

... I’d rather be shaving! [emoji631]

I also suggest the loft to be set around 52-53mm. DEF no more than 55mm or you won’t have backbone enough to suffice scratching an itch.

... I’d rather be shaving! [emoji631]

yeah....that's way too complicated for 95% of the population and not willing to waste my money by messing the knot. In my case, I rather pay $200 + for a good brush that is already assembled by an expert than pay $75-80 for something that i will mess and throw away...

yeah....that's way too complicated for 95% of the population and not willing to waste my money by messing the knot. In my case, I rather pay $200 + for a good brush that is already assembled by an expert than pay $75-80 for something that i will mess and throw away...

Hi @herbert7890 With the sheer number of hours I spent researching the performance of Maggards SHD's (that is, reading every single review) and watching dozens of tutorial videos on how to set a knot, if I had earned minimum wage with the same amount of time, I could easily have bought one of the most expensive ever crafted!

I even posted a thread on B&B asking if someone would be willing to set a knot for me. A few generous fellow Ontarian wetshavers offered to help. I eventually felt comfortable doing it myself. I'm now waiting for Maggard to restock on the particular knot I'm looking for.

Coming back to your point Herbet, a lot of people may not want to mess around with a new knot and an expensive handle. I had the same experience.

I will soon get one of those SHD knots from Maggard and I'm so curious to see how they these knots behave. Top-tier brush with the fraction of the price you'd pay for the likes of Paladin, Morris, or Declaration, that is the gist of most reviews.

I've set 8-9 knots into brushes now and haven't messed up in any of them. There are a lot of helpful video on YT on how to do it and I found the one done by Peter Wolf (WolfWhiskers) to be great.

It does take some learning but I've found that knots that I set myself to be the best. I know what kind of characteristics of knots/loft/backbone that I like and I can customize it to that.

Top Bottom