What's new

Help me like badger brushes, please.

Updating the thread. I finally ordered an SOC Cherry Badger, which should arrive on Wednesday. Thanks again to everyone who chimed in.
Update #2:

I just ordered a cherry Semogue Owner’s Club boar brush to go along with the SOC badger. These are on the heels of a Simpsons Chubby 2 synthetic and a Trafalgar T3 synthetic. All four will be fighting for a permanent spot in the den.

Congratulations! I look forward to reading your thoughts.

I have been into synthetics fully, for the past 2 years (although I owned 3 badger brushes through this time). Then a month ago and out of a blimp, I decided to buy an M&F Finest 28mm Badger........................all I can say is, I probably won't use synthetics too often anymore (if at all, besides travel).

There is a pure luxury of using a badger brush that simply you can't get with a synthetic. The lather seems better with the M&F, which i attribute to due slower building lather with more water being added slowly vs the super quick lather with synthetic, that is usually not as slick as with badger. The warmth of a badger on the face is pretty much one of the best feelings in the world. the feel of natural soft bristles on the face is amazing as well.

long story short and after my newfound badger love, since the past month M&F purchase, now I have added the following orders:

1. Paladin 26mm Special Release - Battle of the beehives (should come in 3-4 weeks)
2. Oku Brush 26mm Fan Knot 2 Band (fairly new brushmaker from Spain that now lives in California)
3. The Varlet Ranger 29mm HD Knot (this will take a while to get since the waitlist is 3 months long)
4. Bought a Wolf whiskers Handle and sent to Declaration Grooming for knotting service - Batch B9a Knot (should take around 4-5 weeks to come)

In addition to that, I plan to buy 2 more M&F brushes (blonde badger and heritage II badger), and also hoping to catch a Black Eagle brush someday (almost impossible though). You could see I have Brush Acquisition Disorder right now and I would agree but Im loving it :D

I think what turned me off from badgers was that my badgers were 3 band silvertip, which are VERY floppy for my taste (I had 2 Savile Rows 3824 and an AOS finest badger). But now that I have tried the premium 2-band badger knots, its a completely new ball game, a real game-changer for me.

I have been into synthetics fully, for the past 2 years (although I owned 3 badger brushes through this time). Then a month ago and out of a blimp, I decided to buy an M&F Finest 28mm Badger........................all I can say is, I probably won't use synthetics too often anymore (if at all, besides travel).

There is a pure luxury of using a badger brush that simply you can't get with a synthetic. The lather seems better with the M&F, which i attribute to due slower building lather with more water being added slowly vs the super quick lather with synthetic, that is usually not as slick as with badger. The warmth of a badger on the face is pretty much one of the best feelings in the world. the feel of natural soft bristles on the face is amazing as well.

long story short and after my newfound badger love, since the past month M&F purchase, now I have added the following orders:

1. Paladin 26mm Special Release - Battle of the beehives (should come in 3-4 weeks)
2. Oku Brush 26mm Fan Knot 2 Band (fairly new brushmaker from Spain that now lives in California)
3. The Varlet Ranger 29mm HD Knot (this will take a while to get since the waitlist is 3 months long)
4. Bought a Wolf whiskers Handle and sent to Declaration Grooming for knotting service - Batch B9a Knot (should take around 4-5 weeks to come)

In addition to that, I plan to buy 2 more M&F brushes (blonde badger and heritage II badger), and also hoping to catch a Black Eagle brush someday (almost impossible though). You could see I have Brush Acquisition Disorder right now and I would agree but Im loving it :D

I think what turned me off from badgers was that my badgers were 3 band silvertip, which are VERY floppy for my taste (I had 2 Savile Rows 3824 and an AOS finest badger). But now that I have tried the premium 2-band badger knots, its a completely new ball game, a real game-changer for me.

I just looked up the M&F brushes and pricing.

JIMINY. CRICKET.

I won’t say they’re off my radar because I’ve spent more on other gear than I ever thought I would, but it’s going to take some time to acclimate to the water in this end of the pool.

Absolutely beautiful brushes, though. Thanks for the lead.

JIMINY. CRICKET.

I won’t say they’re off my radar because I’ve spent more on other gear than I ever thought I would, but it’s going to take some time to acclimate to the water in this end of the pool.

You are welcome! Yes and I agree is the only con of these high end badger brushes, the super high prices. I tell myself is an “investment” that should last for 10-15 years, to make peace with it [emoji56][emoji28]

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush

JIMINY. CRICKET.

Take a look at Paladin, too. They’re a bit softer with great backbone as well.

My current badgers are:

M&F XL2
Chubby 1 Super
Chubby 2 SiLVERTiP
Paladin Select El Dorado
Thater 2 Band Beehive
Shavemac Silvertip
Shavemac Finest
Epsilon Silvertip
Elite Manchurian

And I’ve had a ton more before.

I would say Paladin’s current knots are as good as you can find. Elite Manchurian is right there, too, great backbone with very soft tips.

You can get one for like $5. You can also pay $200+ for one.

Which there's definitely a subjective element to it, badger knots have sold at a MARKED premium to boars, horse, and synth knots for decades, over a century in some cases... and not simply as a "luxury" or "branded" product. They wouldn't have if they didn't offer something that justified that premium. Recently, the cost of a badger knot has plummeted... so arguing that they are overpriced right now seems difficult.

Still got the black eagle?

To be fair, you've been buying fairly pricey badger brushes. And Paladin and Brad Sears at the very least have a lot of their cost tied up in their handles (both are considered some of the best handles out there)... so from a "value for the knot" perspective, it sounds like your sample is kind of biased against.

Are you more of a synth or boar fan?

The boar just arrived! It’s a fantastic size, extremely stiff, and no notable smell when dry. I’ll start the break-in this evening.

EB9B121A-CA39-46C4-A1AE-FD98BF7834BA.jpeg

Quick update...

I just finished washing the SOC boar with Dawn and now I have it soaking in sudsy water for a bit. Will lather it with some Proraso White next and let it sit some more. It had a very slight piggy smell when wet, was in no way offensive. A far cry from the stink bomb Simpsons best badger I had.

I can already tell I’m going to LOVE this brush! Just the way it felt scrubbing against my hand makes me want to use it right away.

The SOC badger is out for delivery.

Quick update...

I just finished washing the SOC boar with Dawn and now I have it soaking in sudsy water for a bit. Will lather it with some Proraso White next and let it sit some more. It had a very slight piggy smell when wet, was in no way offensive. A far cry from the stink bomb Simpsons best badger I had.

I can already tell I’m going to LOVE this brush! Just the way it felt scrubbing against my hand makes me want to use it right away.

The SOC badger is out for delivery.
Once it's cleaned up and soaked in water, it feels so nice on the face. Glad you got a hold of it!

Anyone up for some cloudy badger water??

The scent is stronger now, but far less than my Simpsons. That brush turned my water brown.

BEF6DCD9-6FDE-4F70-B307-CCC02E1939E6.jpeg

Cleaning and soaking in Dawn really knocked the odor back. Now it’s Proraso’s turn.

FWIW, both brushes whipped up the lather quicker than my Big Bruce, and both felt great in my hand. The badger feels like luxury on a stick.

0E15371A-2F0B-404A-875A-CEFE66ED5518.jpeg

Top Bottom