What's new

Help me Edwin Jagger v/s Muhle❓

Considering Two safety Razors.

Edwin Jagger 3D Laser Diamond Double Edge Safety Razor DE3D14bl​

V/S

MUHLE R89 Traditional Chrome Twist Safety Razor (Closed Comb)​

Anyone want to make recommendation, why one is better then other.

Hand are arthritic, beard is medium tough, skin sensitive.

Last cast Double Blade Safety got destroyed when it fell on tile floor. Could not be fixed.

Thx.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
The heads were designed by Edwin Jagger and Muhle working together so are pretty much the same. Muhle makes that head for a number of other manufacturers including the King C Gillette razor. Though EJ are producing the head for themselves now I don't believe they have made any real changes to it. The handle is really the only thing that is different, I have the R89, but not the EJ as I have a number of Muhle razors and have always found them to be very well engineered and I particularly liked the rose gold handle available for the R89 though I have the standard handle on my R41 (it is the same as the R89 handle) and there is really no difference performance wise. In answer to the question pick up whichever one tickles your fancy and I'm sure you'll have a great shaver on your hands.
IMG_20221012_085547.jpg

Both the EJ DE89 and Mühle R89 razor heads (and in the case of the R89 twist, the top cap) are cast metal. If you like the DE89/R89 head (they're equivalent) and already have a handle you like, Maggard Razors sells the R89 head standalone.

If you want to avoid cast metal you will probably need to look at stainless steel options as there's not a direct equivalent DE89/R89 in stainless steel.

The RazorRock MJ90a is supposedly an improved version of the DE89 made with a milled aluminum head. I had this razor but sold it off as it was a little too aggressive for me. It was nicely made and only $30.

Screenshot 2023-03-21 at 7.34.34 AM.png

From the Italian Barber website:

What is the MJ-90A? We took the ever popular DE89 razor head, studied it, analyzed all it's positive and negative qualities and made it WAY better!

1) Materials: Instead of low-quality zinc-alloy (Zamak/pot metal), we used aircraft aluminum block for the head and 316L stainless steel rod for the handle.

2) Build: Instead of cheap, non-precise stamping/casting, we have built the razor using precision CNC milling, both for the head and handle. The tolerances are superior to the DE89.

Last edited:
While the heads are very nearly identical, Muhle has made one significant improvement that would make it my recommendation. I had at least two EJ DE89 heads where the threaded post on the cap corroded and broke. Edwin Jagger in both cases replaced it for free, but it was still inconvenient. Muhle has re-engineered the top cap to use a solid brass post. I don't believe that Edwin Jagger had changed their post.

Everything previously stated is true. EJ has a larger variety of handles available for you to choose from, so that might be what draws you in. I picked a really short rubber coated handle to help me learn to wet shave. I didn't want to risk having slippery hands on smooth metal or having a long handle where I would apply too much pressure.

The least expensive entry into this head design is the King C Gillette, but it's not an identical clone. It may very well be produced by Muhle, but it looks a lot more like a Merkur head to me.

First off thanks for all the great replies.

Well I am leaning towards the Muhle. That being said I found a source in UK, The Modern Man that has great prices.

But they are difficult to communicate with Via E-Mail.

Thinking I might hold off, and go Full Stainless Edwin Jagger 3ONE6.

But they are not available at present from EJ Direct, or Modern Man.

I would look around and find a discounted muhle rocca. Best razor from either company imo. Shaves better than the 316 for me.

Btw, the 316 handle is tiny, especially if you have arthritis.

The 3ONE6 isn't any smaller than the R/DE89 (though the Rocca is a bit larger).

If you're still thinking 3ONE6, Connaught Shaving are worth a look (to be fair, Connaught Shaving are always worth a look...)

But do they ship to USA, and how do you convert to USDollars?

I would forget the DE89 head and go straight to the Rocca or 3one6. Both much better shavers than the DE89….for me anyway. I also like that they are stainless instead of zamak.

I would forget the DE89 head and go straight to the Rocca or 3one6. Both much better shavers than the DE89….for me anyway. I also like that they are stainless instead of zamak.

As I said I already said I had one incident of a Razor v/s Tile Floor misadventure.

Razor lost, because Tile was harder.

I would agree with @gdawg55 that you should seriously consider the 3one6 or the Rocca (assuming you're willing to spend quite a bit more than you would for the DE89 or R89). I have owned both, and I think that they are perform quite similarly, even if they look quite different. I prefer the Rocca, and sold the 3one6. Much of that has to do with the look of the razor with the birch bark handle (Rocca R95). In fact, I used mine this morning and had a wonderful shave - close and comfortable.

The Modern Man is a good source for the Rocca - I believe it's just a bit over $100. If you look around you might do a bit better, but they are a good outfit to buy from. If I recall correctly, they have an option on their site to sign up for a 10% discount.

Of course once you open up your search beyond the two razors you initially suggested, there are many good choices. The RazoRock stainless steel razors are excellent, and they are very attractively priced. I have used both the GameChanger razors and the Lupo. Both are available with multiple baseplates, so you can start with one that might be quite mild, but if you decide you want something more efficient, you can simply purchase an additional baseplate. That's not an option with the Rocca or 3one6.

Pick up the one you like (looks)/feel in the hand more and also consider coast, take the cheapest. I think I got an EJ for $15 new (Kelvin) and also then a Muhle (branded Art of Shaving) for $15.....both good razors, mild, solid choices.... I think they are the same.

But do they ship to USA, and how do you convert to USDollars?

The "delivery" page lists 10-20 days shipping to Europe and North America.

I've bought a fair bit of stuff in EUR, USD and CAD on credit card - it just appears as GBP on the statement. (Sometimes I've done it when there was an option for GBP and the exchange rate looked better on card than with the supplier.) The card issuer should be able to advise - there might be something on their website.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
The Maggards V3 is the same head for less money. Their handles are great as well.

For arthritis hands, the Muhle Grande handle is great. It’s a bit thicker and longer than the rest of the EJ and Muhle handles. And it’s relatively light compared to a thick stainless handle of the same dims. An R89 Grande is a great combination. I’ve had one in my collection for many years.

But the R89/DE89 is a zamak razor that is sitting in the mid-grade performance range. It is not highly efficient. So if you want a razor that is mild and gentle on your skin, it’s a good choice. If you want super close high performance shaves, you’ll need to keep looking.

The heads were designed by Edwin Jagger and Muhle working together so are pretty much the same. Muhle makes that head for a number of other manufacturers including the King C Gillette razor. Though EJ are producing the head for themselves now I don't believe they have made any real changes to it. The handle is really the only thing that is different, I have the R89, but not the EJ as I have a number of Muhle razors and have always found them to be very well engineered and I particularly liked the rose gold handle available for the R89 though I have the standard handle on my R41 (it is the same as the R89 handle) and there is really no difference performance wise. In answer to the question pick up whichever one tickles your fancy and I'm sure you'll have a great shaver on your hands.
View attachment 1624516

Good explanation of two very fine razor options!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Top Bottom