What's new

Happy One Year Anniversary .... A wonderful gift to myself --- the Edwin Jagger Faux Ebony

Gentlemen.....

I've now been enjoying this wonderful hobby of traditional double edge safety razor wet shaving for one year, and have thoroughly enjoyed contributing to and learning from this terrific B&B website. With the sage advice, and purchasing from, the fine folks at Superior Shave, Maggard's, Italian Barber, and WCS .... I've experienced quite a few razor/blade combinations, some terrific brushes, and many fine soaps and creams. True shaving luxury. For the past year, I've been using three really nice razors --- a Merkur 34C, a Merkur 39C Slant, and a Maggard's MR5-v.3 --- and have tried them with Derby, Crystal, Israeli Red Personna, Personna Lab Blue, Astra SP, Feather, PolSilver, Gillette Silver Blue, Gillette Nacet, and Voskhod blades. After many different experiences, I have settled on these three combinations as working the best for my face and my technique -- Merkur 34C with Gillette Nacet , Maggard's MR5-v.3 with Voskhod, and Merkur 39C Slant with Israeli Red Personna.

So, now, to the point of this thread. As a gift to myself, I just bought an Edwin Jagger Faux Ebony razor with its included five pack of Feather blades. This is a rather heavy razor (114 grams), and with the Feather blade loaded, I think I just discovered true shaving Nirvana !
Incredibly smooth, extremely close (BBS with two passes), delightfully comfortable, zero irritation (without a single nick, cut, or weeper), and a truly joyous experience ! That was last evening, using my RazoRock Plissoft Silvertip with RazoRock XXX soap. Then tonight, just to make sure that last evening was not an aberration, I used the same Feather/Jagger combo with my Omega Ovangkol Boar lathered with Cella. Exact same amazing shaving experience !

I'm still looking forward to many great shaves with my other three razor/blade combinations, but I've got to tell you all that my new Jagger/Feather combo is simply sublime !

Nice. I have a similar handle only in faux ivory, but it is for my Mach 3 cartridges. I use it solely when I travel by air and carry on. I bought it when I first was introduced to a brush, cream, pre shave oil and aftershave balm. I had not yet been introduced to double edge razors. It has a nice heft to it and makes shaving with a cartridge just a little better. Congrats on your year of shaving.

I'm still looking forward to many great shaves with my other three razor/blade combinations, but I've got to tell you all that my new Jagger/Feather combo is simply sublime !
Great when you find a good match. Why would you go back to the others now?
I am surprised the GSB is not in one of your combinations. It worked fantastic for me with the Merkur 34C.

Great when you find a good match. Why would you go back to the others now?
Why ? Because the others are also terrific combinations. So now I have a fantastic rotation of four razor/blade combinations. Like great wine or great jazz --- you can equally enjoy Burgundy, Bordeaux, Syrah, and Zinfandel ... and ... you can equally enjoy Miles, Coltrane, Brubeck, and Rollins ! Why stay with just one ?

Why ? Because the others are also terrific combinations. So now I have a fantastic rotation of four razor/blade combinations. Like great wine or great jazz --- you can equally enjoy Burgundy, Bordeaux, Syrah, and Zinfandel ... and ... you can equally enjoy Miles, Coltrane, Brubeck, and Rollins ! Why stay with just one ?
Fair comment. It's a good reason to use the other razor and blade combinations. Happy days!
:shaving:

Fair comment. It's a good reason to use the other razor and blade combinations. Happy days!

Yes indeed ..... "variety" is what makes this such a great hobby, and exchanging our ideas about all the wonderful varieties of "shaving stuff" is what makes B&B such a terrific website community !

I have two of the same EJ razor handles in Ivory Adam. One of them has a Muhle open comb head on it with an Astra SP blade. One brave morning I put a Feather in it, the result was more Henry Rollins than Sonny.

Hi elgrumpo ..... next time you need to kick back and relax while your face is healing, put Sonny Rollins' "The Bridge" on your turntable and enjoy the sweet music !

Top Bottom