What's new

Help me choose my next blade

Hello All,

I am new to this site. I recently started shaving with a DE Razor and used a Gillette Silver Blue in the Baili TTO - I thought it was great. I have a few more blades: the Voskhod Teflon Coated, Shark, Feather, Derby Extra and Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge. After some research, I think I have decided on using the Voskhod blade next. However, please let me know some of your recommendations!

Thanks in advance.

You have some fine options! I suggest you save the Feathers for last as these are the sharpest.

GSB are terrific blades for me. I would (generally) rate the 7 O’Clocks next, then the Voskhod and Feathers.

BUT YMMV is the rule because these are so many variables!! You need to try these blades and decide yourself.

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. Voskhod is a good blade--go ahead and use it. You might also want to try some Astra Superior Platinum blades.

+1 Astra SP

I am also a fan of GSB, Gillette Yellow, Vokshod, Rapira

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

My face likes the GSB, Personna Lab Blue, and Feathers thus far. Voskhod didn’t go well for me, but our faces are different. I agree with sticking to the GSB a bit longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 Astra SP

I am also a fan of GSB, Gillette Yellow, Vokshod, Rapira

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
+2 on the Astra's!
I have generally found that Derbys, Astras, and Voskohds work best for my skin and stubble. However the search for the next best blade is constant!

Gillette 7o'clock sharp edge are the sharpest blades I've tried (and yes I've tried feathers)

Sharpest may not necessarily be best for you though so test as many as it takes to find your ideal blade

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
+3 Astra SP.
I am new to DE shaving also and have been using Astra SP's with my Razorock DE1 after starting with Feather Hi Stainless. I noticed after about 5 shaves that my complexion has improved and less irritation. I have also gotten my closest shaves so far with Astra SP.

Welcome to B&B.
The GSB may be one of your favourites but the Astra SP and 7 O'Clock SharpEdge are also good blades. Voskhods are second tier for me but still give a good shave. You need to try at least 3 of the same blade to get a good feel for the blade and expect the odd bad shave from user error.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum, sampler packs are great to start out with and find the blades that you like. Voskhod blades are great for me. Have fun trying new blades let us know how you get on.

I tried an Astra SP today - really impressed. BBS with no irritation. Worth trying IMO. I'm hoping it gives me another 2 or 3 comfortable shaves.

Hello All,

I am new to this site. I recently started shaving with a DE Razor and used a Gillette Silver Blue in the Baili TTO - I thought it was great. I have a few more blades: the Voskhod Teflon Coated, Shark, Feather, Derby Extra and Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge. After some research, I think I have decided on using the Voskhod blade next. However, please let me know some of your recommendations!

Thanks in advance.
Unfortunately, results really do seem to vary. I tried these blades that I'd hear good things about, but they didn't work for me: Wilkinson, Persona Blues, Astra SP. I like Perma Sharp Supers, and Polsilvers. Recently started using Gillette 7 O'Clock green pack Super Stainless and like them a lot - plus, they're a lot less expensive. Just ordered the Gillettee 7O'Clock Yellows and Voshkuds which are also fairly inexpensive - that way, don't mind discarding them after two shaves.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Wow, it has been a few months since I last visited this thread, at the time I was a fan of Astra SP's and was using a Razorock DE1.
How times and tastes change, I have dabbled with straight razors and become fond of my Feather Artist Club SS with Proguard Blades.
My daily driver is now a Piccolo SE with GSBs, and Nacets being second on my list.
And still searching for the Perfect Edge for my Geneva and Joseph Rodgers & Sons straight razors.......
Prof

I take all my blade packs, put them under a towel. Give them a stir and grab one. Trying two blades from each pack. Should be done trying them all in 80 shaves.

Astras are great but only for a few shaves for me.

Top Bottom