What's new

Help me choose my next blade

Unfortunately, results really do seem to vary. I tried these blades that I'd hear good things about, but they didn't work for me: Wilkinson, Persona Blues, Astra SP. I like Perma Sharp Supers, and Polsilvers. Recently started using Gillette 7 O'Clock green pack Super Stainless and like them a lot - plus, they're a lot less expensive. Just ordered the Gillettee 7O'Clock Yellows and Voshkuds which are also fairly inexpensive - that way, don't mind discarding them after two shaves.
Ok. Just received the Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge. Will try them in the morning. Wish me luck.

I like the Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharpedge Yellow blades in aggressive razors. They're not quite sharp enough for me in mild razors. However, I have a coarse beard.

I can shave with Astra SP blades, but the shave is not enjoyable as they are not quite sharp enough for my beard, especially on the first shave. On the other hand Astra SS blades are much sharper and work well for me; I just ordered a 100 pack.

Blades are one of the most individual choices in shaving.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Ok. Just received the Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge. Will try them in the morning. Wish me luck.

Welcome to the forum.

I have a feeling you'll like the Gillette Yellow. Its a nice blade, both smooth and sharp. If you do end up liking it, you might try Perma-Sharp Super too. Another smooth blade is Lord Platinum.

The thing with blades is to try as many as you can and narrow them down to a top 3 or a top 5. If you have 5 different blades to choose from you'll be doing well. Try A Blade is a great source to try many different kinds. You can buy as few or as many of any blade you want to try.

I like the Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharpedge Yellow blades in aggressive razors. They're not quite sharp enough for me in mild razors. However, I have a coarse beard.

I can shave with Astra SP blades, but the shave is not enjoyable as they are not quite sharp enough for my beard, especially on the first shave. On the other hand Astra SS blades are much sharper and work well for me; I just ordered a 100 pack.

Blades are one of the most individual choices in shaving.

I think, for this reason, making blade recommendations is becoming increasingly pointless.

The 7 o'clock yellow is by far the sharpest blade I've tried, including feathers, but clearly they're not for everyone

As ever YMMV rules

Welcome to the forum.

I have a feeling you'll like the Gillette Yellow. Its a nice blade, both smooth and sharp. If you do end up liking it, you might try Perma-Sharp Super too. Another smooth blade is Lord Platinum.

The thing with blades is to try as many as you can and narrow them down to a top 3 or a top 5. If you have 5 different blades to choose from you'll be doing well. Try A Blade is a great source to try many different kinds. You can buy as few or as many of any blade you want to try.
I liked them a lot. Great shave. Have narrowed my favorite blades down to Perma Sharp Super, Polsilver iridium, Gillette 7'O'Clock Super Stainless, and now the 7 O'Clock Yellows. Have some Voshkods coming Monday. After that, my search will be ended - at least for a time.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I liked them a lot. Great shave. Have narrowed my favorite blades down to Perma Sharp Super, Polsilver iridium, Gillette 7'O'Clock Super Stainless, and now the 7 O'Clock Yellows. Have some Voshkods coming Monday. After that, my search will be ended - at least for a time.

Great choices and great blades. Voskhod is a nice blade too. I found them very smooth for the first shave, a little harsh the second shave, very harsh on the 3rd shave and then on the 4th shave they smoothed out really well.

For both sharp and smooth its hard to beat your current picks but you might try a Bic Chrome Platinum sometime. I found them as smooth as a Gillette Yellow, if not smoother, and very sharp.

Polsilver was in my top 3. I used one to 20 shaves over 5 weeks and on its 20th shave it was smoother than a fresh Yellow and just as sharp. Perma-Sharp Super was also a long lasting blade for me at over 20 shaves. A Gillette Yellow only went 9 shaves but started to tug on its 7th.

I think, for this reason, making blade recommendations is becoming increasingly pointless.

The 7 o'clock yellow is by far the sharpest blade I've tried, including feathers, but clearly they're not for everyone

As ever YMMV rules

Exactly! My practice is to suggest that new shavers purchase a blade sampler with at least a dozen different blades and see which work for them. However, in this case the OP already had several blades from which to choose.

I like the 7 O'Clock yellow blades much better than Feather blades. Although the Feather blades are quite sharp on the first shave, I cannot even make it through the 3rd shave with them before they feel terrible on my face. The blades that work for an individual depend on beard type, skin type, and the razor in which they are being used.

Some blades I can use in pretty much any razor from a very mild VDH TTO to a Muhle R41.

In some razors like the Karve D plate, I can use almost any blade other than the least sharp ones (Merkur, VDH, Derby Extra, Shark Chrome).

To get a good shave with my mild VDH, I normally select some of the sharpest blades available: Perma Sharp Super, BIC Chrome Platinum, Gillette Nacet, 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Black.

The Muhle R41 has a significant face feel, so it works best with very smooth, mid-sharp blades like the 7 O'Clock Yellow. Other blades that work well in that razor are Polsilver, Gillette Silver Blue, and 7 O'Clock Russian Green.

However, I realize that unless you have a face and beard like mine and use razors like mine, your preferences will differ.

I take all my blade packs, put them under a towel. Give them a stir and grab one. Trying two blades from each pack. Should be done trying them all in 80 shaves.

Astras are great but only for a few shaves for me.

I agree, I like Astras but I use a new one every Monday AM. I also agree that Feathers work for some folks. They are a tad too keen for my abilities -- I tended to nick myself from time to time using them.

Hello All,

I am new to this site. I recently started shaving with a DE Razor and used a Gillette Silver Blue in the Baili TTO - I thought it was great. I have a few more blades: the Voskhod Teflon Coated, Shark, Feather, Derby Extra and Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge. After some research, I think I have decided on using the Voskhod blade next. However, please let me know some of your recommendations!

Thanks in advance.

I believe that this razor is made in China and I have a very similar razor - might even be the same but re-branded as Weishi bought locally. It too is a TTO and I get great shaves with a 7 o'clock yellow even with 2-3 days tough stubble. The 7 o'clock is the only blade that gives me comfortable shaves time after time in this razor in fact.
I've tried Shark, Feather, Parker premium platinum, Gillette Blue, Astra SP and a whole host of others but in this razor nothing comes close. I can easily get 4 three pass shaves out of each blade and at 120 yuan (Chinese currency) about 14 quid Sterling, for 50 blades I think it's a bargain with the added bonus of great shaves. However as they all say YMMV

For both sharp and smooth its hard to beat your current picks but you might try a Bic Chrome Platinum sometime. I found them as smooth as a Gillette Yellow, if not smoother, and very sharp.

I second the idea of giving the Bic chrome platinum a try. It's my all around favorite blade. It doesn't get as much attention around here as feather, polsilver, GSB, Nacet, (which are all fantastic!) But it is super smooth and yet very very sharp. Of the blades I have tried the Bic seems to stay the sharpest the longest. I get a week to a week and a half out of one blade, which is really a big deal for me with my rough beard. I have very tender skin but the Bic always treats me right.

Another often overlooked but top notch blade is Bolzano. A top pick for sure.

I second the idea of giving the Bic chrome platinum a try. It's my all around favorite blade. It doesn't get as much attention around here as feather, polsilver, GSB, Nacet, (which are all fantastic!) But it is super smooth and yet very very sharp. Of the blades I have tried the Bic seems to stay the sharpest the longest. I get a week to a week and a half out of one blade, which is really a big deal for me with my rough beard. I have very tender skin but the Bic always treats me right.

Another often overlooked but top notch blade is Bolzano. A top pick for sure.

With my tough beard and tender skin, BIC Chrome Platinum is one of my favorite blades.

It seems like the crowd favorites are Feather and Astra Superior Platinum, but they don't work well for me. I can use them, but I do not enjoy doing so. The Feathers are very sharp on the first shave and I can get a good second shave from them. On the third shave, they start to feel quite rough on my skin. Astra SP are barely sharp enough to shave my coarse beard. They work, but there is usually some tugging and the shave is not comfortable. I know my situation is not typical of the average shaver so YMMV.

I've mentioned elsewhere that Voskhod and BIC have recently become my favorite blades, since they work so well in the biggest selection of TTO and 3 piece razors. Astra started out as my gop-to blade, and I use them mainly in my Parker semi-slant and Weishi.

Top Bottom