What's new

Help ID this Gillette DE

I am not familiar with this model of Gillette. It's a beauty, and looks to have hardly any use. I use straights mostly these days, but could not pass this one up in the local antique store. It's heavy -- feels like the Merkur HD I tried out a couple of summers ago.

Model? Year(s)? Is that gold plate or brass? (No sign of plating wear or lacquer flaking off).

Thanks. I look forward to your answers.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I've never actually seen one "live", but I believe that is an original "Aristocrat", one of the New Improved model razors that came out in the early 1920's.

Beautiful, isn't it?

Nice find - very nice!!

:thumbup1:

Magnificent! It's a New Improved, gold plated, from the 1920's. If there's a serial number on the head under the cap, it can be dated via the Wiki.

You'll hear other names, Bostonian, New Standard, Richwood, etc. and these all could be correct. They were all the same razor, what denoted the name was the case they came with. So, find a proper case, and it becomes whatever the case makes it. But for now, it's a New Improved (and still will be, once it's also a Bostonian, New Standard, etc. etc....).

proxy.php

Nice razor!

I've got a "Bostonian" (same razor, as T Rick points out) and it shaves great...a little aggressive, and that's not a bad thing!

I've never actually seen one "live", but I believe that is an original "Aristocrat", one of the New Improved model razors that came out in the early 1920's.

Beautiful, isn't it?

Nice find - very nice!!

:thumbup1:

Not an Aristocrat. The Aristocrat's knob knurling matched the pattern of the barrel of the handle. Just a standard New Improved. Still, a great razor.

Thanks, AG . . . my education continues!!

I didn't look close enough at the knob - and also have "Aristocrat" on the brain, I guess!!

Were all the different "models" of New Standard available in both gold or silver plate? Were there any that were only silver or only gold?

I didn't look close enough at the knob - and also have "Aristocrat" on the brain, I guess!!

Were all the different "models" of New Standard available in both gold or silver plate? Were there any that were only silver or only gold?

gold and silver models available

proxy.php

I just finished reading that issue of Cook's Illustrated. Love the Chicago Deep Dish pizza recipe. Great looking razor, too!

New Standard refers to one set that contained a New Improved razor. The razor is a New Improved, while the set is the New Standard. The exact same razor was marketed in several other sets with different names.

And yes, pretty much every set came in either silver or gold plate. The Tiffany Set may have been the exception being produced in sterling silver. I am not aware of a gold version.

gold and silver models available

proxy.php

It is interesting that illustrations in this ad shows the "Aristocrat" type knob in the Richwood and New Standard Sets, while every Richwood and New Standard set I have seen have the differently knurled pattern knob.

New Standard refers to one set that contained a New Improved razor. The razor is a New Improved, while the set is the New Standard. The exact same razor was marketed in several other sets with different names.

And yes, pretty much every set came in either silver or gold plate. The Tiffany Set may have been the exception being produced in sterling silver. I am not aware of a gold version.

Gotcha . . . makes perfect sense! I was thinking of the sets as separate razors - but they were just different cases and names using the same razor.

Clear as a bell now! Thanks!

I am not sure I can divine from this thread the consensus as to what the razor is.

Can someone sum it up? Thanks.

Top Bottom