What's new

Help fixing ever ready razor case

Hello,

I apologize if this was posed the in the wrong section. This case (see pictures) belongs to an ever ready razor. Unfortunately, I had to pry it open (the contents in the case somehow had shifted and prevent the lid from opening. Ever since prying the lid open, I’ve noticed that the case will not shut tight.

I know this is a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how I could fix this issue? If you look at the pictures, you can see that there is a ring located at the middle of the bottom half of the case, this ring will fit into a little notch located on the top half of the case. I tried bending the ring a little forwards and backwards, but that didn’t help. I’m worried to mess with it too much, because the hinges on the back look fragile. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_0546.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg
IMG_0554.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0546.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Sorry to hear about your case issue. I have nothing on how to repair it. My repair skills are lacking. Hopefully @tonich or @romsitsa might be able to help. I am sure that they have had some success with restoring vintage DE razor cases. They may have some insight for you.

This may be tough to fix.

The only principle I can think of is to "reverse engineer" what was physically done to the catch when you pried the case open.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

R

romsitsa

Hello, doesn’t look too bad. First you have to figure out what is bent. Take a flat smooth object, like a pice of glass, and check all sides of the case, hinge, latch. When you found the uneven spot(s) take a rubber mallet or a hammer and a piece of plastick rod and straighten what has to be straightened. The surface, where you hammer and the tool you use to straighten the sheet metal have to be “soft” like plastic, hard rubber or wood.
I think in this case the lid is warped starting from the front edge (hinge looks straight) if so, flatten it from the bottom, starting from the center towards the corner. Or simply grab it and twist it back.

Adam

Hello, doesn’t look too bad. First you have to figure out what is bent. Take a flat smooth object, like a pice of glass, and check all sides of the case, hinge, latch. When you found the uneven spot(s) take a rubber mallet or a hammer and a piece of plastick rod and straighten what has to be straightened. The surface, where you hammer and the tool you use to straighten the sheet metal have to be “soft” like plastic, hard rubber or wood.
I think in this case the lid is warped starting from the front edge (hinge looks straight) if so, flatten it from the bottom, starting from the center towards the corner. Or simply grab it and twist it back.

Adam
Adam has good advice. Just be careful when banging away at it with a hammer or a mallet, as the case is ancient and fragile. After you get the case relatively straight you might also put a moderate weight (such as a two pound book) on the closed case for a week or so to help it "gel and set." If this 100 year old case could talk, I'm sure it would express its appreciation to you.

Thank you both for your advice. I'm going to give this a try this weekend and see what happens. If in the event that I'm unable to fix this (or make it worse), would you happen to know if any of the revamp services repair cases? I know razor emporium revamps razor cases, but I'm unaware if they make any attempts to repair the case before re-plating it. My goal is to eventually re-plate this case as I have done with the razor it came with...but if it's going to look the way it does right now, it may not be worth the effort :(

Hello,

I apologize if this was posed the in the wrong section. This case (see pictures) belongs to an ever ready razor. Unfortunately, I had to pry it open (the contents in the case somehow had shifted and prevent the lid from opening. Ever since prying the lid open, I’ve noticed that the case will not shut tight.

I know this is a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how I could fix this issue? If you look at the pictures, you can see that there is a ring located at the middle of the bottom half of the case, this ring will fit into a little notch located on the top half of the case. I tried bending the ring a little forwards and backwards, but that didn’t help. I’m worried to mess with it too much, because the hinges on the back look fragile. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

View attachment 1042553
View attachment 1042554
View attachment 1042555View attachment 1042556
What ever happened to your case. I have the exact same case with the same issue. It doesn’t close snug. Did you ever fix the problem? Was it replated?

How does it look?

I know this is a thread.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
What ever happened to your case. I have the exact same case with the same issue. It doesn’t close snug. Did you ever fix the problem? Was it replated?

How does it look?

I know this is a thread.
This individual has not been on the site in over 3 years.
However - if you look at his example, you can see that the catch in the front is absolutely bent from left to right. It may have been bent forward/backward, but you can clearly see that the catch and the catch lever have been twisted so the the left side is considerably higher than the right side as viewed.
Taking your case, just give it a very thorough look over, as many times it is possible to see what the issue is through some time and careful examination.

IMG_0553.jpg

Top Bottom