What's new

Hello šŸ‘‹šŸ¼ (Iā€™m a NEWB) šŸ˜œ

Hello everyone.
Advice please!

Looking to pull the trigger and switch to a DE...looked on eBay at some vintage Gilletteā€™s, Merkur 34c, and Edwin Jagger DE 89.

I donā€™t have any shaving ā€œissues/problemsā€ (long hair, neck bumps, skin irritation, etc.) just trying to get more out of shaving and a closer shave than the cartridges if possible.

...any suggestions on a razor, brush & soap, and aftershave balm are appreciated! (Donā€™t use pre-shave oil) and I shave daily (no beard / just goatee).

Thank you,

Midas
Ā 
Be prepared as you are going to get a variety of suggestions. Read them all and you will find what works best for you.

For my $.02 worth. Merkur 34C or EJ DE 89 both good choices for a starter razor as would be a vintage Gillette Tech or Gillette Flare tip. Purchase a variety pack of razor blades, a synthetic brush, Proraso of any flavor in cream or tub soap, a Timeless or Stirling shaving bowl. Proraso makes aftershaves, but to me thatā€™s a personal preference for scents as is your soap/cream scents.

As you know, there are a ton of razor, brush, blade, soap and cream choices and once you start to get a technique down you can fall down the rabbit hole with the rest of us. šŸ˜Š

Enjoy your journey and always feel free to ask questions!
Ā 
Welcome to B&B, Midas.
A sample pack of blades is absolutely recommended.
For the most bang for your buck with a razor, I would suggest a vintage Gillette Tech.
If you'll be face lathering or using hard soaps, I would start with an Omega boar (I like the 10066).
If you would prefer a synthetic, Yaqi offers good bargain brushes.
Soap preferences are wide open. For ideas on inexpensive soaps, search for the "cheap soaps" threads.
Personally, I don't use balm, but Nivea unscented balm gets lots of love in the forums.
Ā 

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Welcome! You are in for a treat. IMO you'd be best off with the EJ89. I find it shaves better than the Merkur 34c. Our faces sound mighty similar. A synthetic brush is a great place to start. You can pick one up for $12-$15. I'd recommend West Coast Shaving and a Yaqi. Whilst you are on EBay you can find many blade samplers. I think I picked one up for $3.50 with 6 blades shipped in a good old envelope. Soaps/Creams maybe swing into a Marsall's or Burlington and luck into some Proraso. Target in my area was also selling several AOS creams at $10. Steal a bowl from the kitchen to lather in.

One mistake I made was to jump in and acquire too many things in the beginning. I would advise you to keep your initial set up for a solid month before succumbing to any rabbit holes you may be tempted to put your toe in.
Ā 
Welcome to B&B @KingMidasShave! As stated earlier youā€™re going to get a LOT of suggestions as far as razor, soap and brush are concerned. I donā€™t have much to add since i havenā€™t tried nearly as many products as the other members thatā€™ll chime in on this post. One thing i can say is a must though is a blade sampler. In my opinion nothing makes or breaks a shave like a good (or bad) blade. If you get a sampler youā€™ll be able to find a blade that really outperforms all others and at least for me, youā€™ll then have found your most important shaving product. Two websites that are great for samplers are tryablade.com and razorbladesclub.com. You can go nuts choosing blades since theyā€™re extremely cheap and then once you find the one (or more than one) that work for you you can buy them in bulk. Best of luck for your future shaves!
Ā 
Happened to be at Marshallā€™s w/the wife and like @Cheff455 said, they had stuff. I picked up a MĆ¼hle, and a shaving cream from The Body Shop: Sortening Shaving Cream that came w/a new brush. Well it all worked out - not even a nick! For a first DE shave, Iā€™m very pleased. Super close shave. Just noticing a few bumps coming up on my neck. Could be from shaving up / but thatā€™s what I thought you were supposed to do - shave with the grain.
Oh, and finished w/Nivea Soothing Post Shave Balm.
Ā 
Last edited:
Welcome aboard!

In answer to your questions: I would go with either the 34C or the EJ89. Both are fine razors in the mild/moderate category. You should also pick up a blade sampler pack or two. Pick an appealing brush (synthetic or boar would offer the best bang for the buck), a soap or cream and an aftershave (you likely have one that is working already).

A few other suggestions:
1. DE is a skill that takes awhile to acquire, so give this a bit of time and effort and you will be rewarded!
2. Stick with your set-up until your technique is reasonably solid. That is often a faster route than changing many aspects during your learning phase.
3. Read through the Wiki and watch a few videos.

Mostly, enjoy the experience!!
Ā 
Happened to be at Marshallā€™s w/the wife and like @Cheff455 said, they had stuff. I picked up a MĆ¼hle, and a shaving cream from The Body Shop: Sortening Shaving Cream that came w/a new brush. Well it all worked out - not even a nick! For a first DE shave, Iā€™m very pleased. Super close shave. Just noticing a few bumps coming up on my neck. Could be from shaving up / but thatā€™s what I thought you were supposed to do - shave with the grain.
Oh, and finished w/Nivea Soothing Post Shave Balm.

:a14: :a14: :a14:

As your technique improves and you find the blade that works best for you, the bumps will likely no longer be a problem. A no-blood first shave is always a nice accomplishment in itself. :thumbup:
Also, if you haven't already, check out information on face mapping.
What model of Muhle did you decide on?
Ā 
2nd shave was watching a YouTube tutorial while shaving and nicked my neck. I know better now!
Thank you for the helpful info. @Stubblebum - I canā€™t find anything on the box to denote a model. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø It does say: ā€œTaos Safety Razor Fine Engravedā€ so maybe itā€™s a Taos.
Ā 

Attachments

• FC5DC15B-8D6A-4B7D-ADA9-61A6B0D8F05F.jpeg
    FC5DC15B-8D6A-4B7D-ADA9-61A6B0D8F05F.jpeg
    1.1 MB Ā· Views: 14
  • 7B97BFA0-2C6D-44D7-BAF0-8DD74AB42CB9.jpeg
    7B97BFA0-2C6D-44D7-BAF0-8DD74AB42CB9.jpeg
    1 MB Ā· Views: 17
  • C9309F55-7998-4886-A78B-BC195EE768B8.jpeg
    C9309F55-7998-4886-A78B-BC195EE768B8.jpeg
    1.1 MB Ā· Views: 18

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
2nd shave was watching a YouTube tutorial while shaving and nicked my neck. I know better now!
Thank you for the helpful info. @Stubblebum - I canā€™t find anything on the box to denote a model. šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø It does say: ā€œTaos Safety Razor Fine Engravedā€ so maybe itā€™s a Taos.
Welcome! That's a nice looking handle. I'm no help in identification of the razor, as I mostly just use old Gillette's.

Be sure to enjoy yourself here, and remember: don't be shy. Nobody can be stoopider on here than me.

If you have any questions on just about anything, shaving related or not, someone on here will have some helpful advice for you.
Ā 

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Nice score @KingMidas! So the razor is a Muehle R89 head on a handle made for The Art of Shaving stores (hence the TAOS... T.A.O.S. ... got it?) It retailed in the mall stores/online for $70 and I think it is a great razor. The handle leaves a bit to be desired IMO because it's a bit slippery. At any rate it should do you just fine.

Shaving up? For most of us that is the 3rd pass and what is referred to as against the grain or ACG. If you are getting bumps I'd recommend just doing 2 passes for the time being, one with and one across. Try your across in both directions on different shaves.

Regardless, looks like you are off to a good start! Enjoy!
Ā 
Thanks @Chef455 for the heads up on ā€œTaosā€ T.he A.rt O.f S.having - clever. I guess $15 was a great price for it.
Havenā€™t had the neck bumps again but been mocking my neck. Will take some getting used to I guess.
Ā 

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I found the EJ to be an excellent razor. Canā€™t go wrong with it. My advice is to keep it as simple as possible. Avoid the rabbit holes as there are many rabbits around here. It can be done on the cheap. You donā€™t need a lot.
Ā 

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Welcome to the ā€˜familyā€™. My advice is to simply enjoy your journey, regardless of the path you take. Read as much on here as your time permits, but donā€™t be afraid to just jump in. Modern, vintage, artisan ā€” itā€™s all good and youā€™ll discover what works for you. Youā€™ll ā€˜meetā€˜ some awesome folks on B&B and soon youā€™ll be greeting other newbies as the old veteran.

Enjoy your journey, my friend!!
Ā 
Top Bottom