What's new

Hello šŸ‘‹šŸ¼ (Iā€™m a NEWB) šŸ˜œ

Co-worker gave me this Murkur (dunno model) said he never used it once after reading the instructions - scared him! I have purchased a few soaps: Proraso, which Iā€™ve tried and the RazoRock which Iā€™ll try tomorrow. Some Feather blades - I ordered some Astra blades but they arrive tomorrow.
Ā 

Attachments

• 1D239019-D286-40E9-AAA2-FD08D073AC63.jpeg
    1D239019-D286-40E9-AAA2-FD08D073AC63.jpeg
    1.6 MB Ā· Views: 13
  • A5E95BC8-657B-43FA-8D13-651593F26933.jpeg
    A5E95BC8-657B-43FA-8D13-651593F26933.jpeg
    1.5 MB Ā· Views: 14
  • 2EF5FE6F-8358-48A7-B08C-1BD6D42B6CA4.jpeg
    2EF5FE6F-8358-48A7-B08C-1BD6D42B6CA4.jpeg
    1.1 MB Ā· Views: 13
  • ADDFF5A0-32E2-437D-84B4-D7739D2B6A52.jpeg
    ADDFF5A0-32E2-437D-84B4-D7739D2B6A52.jpeg
    1.5 MB Ā· Views: 13

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Co-worker gave me this Murkur (dunno model) said he never used it once after reading the instructions - scared him! I have purchased a few soaps: Proraso, which Iā€™ve tried and the RazoRock which Iā€™ll try tomorrow. Some Feather blades - I ordered some Astra blades but they arrive tomorrow.
That's a real nice looking razor!
Ā 
My only real advice in your case is to go here:

Tons of high quality stuff to elevate your experience.
Ā 
Welcome aboard. It looks like you are already acquiring some nice items. Iā€™d definitely ask the forum members for help when you run into difficulties, lots of wicked smart people on here. Take your time traditional shaving is a skill and it takes time to develop. Every face, whisker, preference, and expectation are different, so keep an open mind and realize that what works for some may be a No Go for you. Enjoy the journey and fellowship in this community.
Ā 
Update*

Razors: I bought the new King C Gillette DE - I really like the KCG blades. Also picked up a pre-owned ā€˜Godfatherā€™ by Vikings Blade. Used a Gillette Platinum blade and got several weepers, twice. Supposed to be a mild razor!

Soap: I endulged in a $30 soap = Wholly Kaw/WCS ā€˜Scentropyā€™ Very slick w/nice mild smell - extreme post shave slick feel.

Pre/Aftershaves: got a few types of Witch Hazels, Captainā€™s Choice ā€˜Ventureā€™, and Proraso Preshave.
Ā 
*UPDATE* One year later *UPDATE* Iā€™ve bought a ton of soaps and tried several blade brands, and a few razors. The verdict: Iā€™m stuck on a mild razor (KCG) and Feather blades. Soaps: Phoenix Artesian Accoutrements. For my birthday my wife bought a razor but has net arrived yet: Global Shave Club ā€¢ Fat Guy. Was thinking of trying a straight razor next couple of months. Maybe one w/blades you insert, dunno? More to come...
Ā 
*UPDATE* One year later *UPDATE* Iā€™ve bought a ton of soaps and tried several blade brands, and a few razors. The verdict: Iā€™m stuck on a mild razor (KCG) and Feather blades. Soaps: Phoenix Artesian Accoutrements. For my birthday my wife bought a razor but has net arrived yet: Global Shave Club ā€¢ Fat Guy. Was thinking of trying a straight razor next couple of months. Maybe one w/blades you insert, dunno? More to come...

Curious to hear about the fatguy once youā€™ve had a chance to try it.
Ā 
Hello everyone.
Advice please!

Looking to pull the trigger and switch to a DE...looked on eBay at some vintage Gilletteā€™s, Merkur 34c, and Edwin Jagger DE 89.

I donā€™t have any shaving ā€œissues/problemsā€ (long hair, neck bumps, skin irritation, etc.) just trying to get more out of shaving and a closer shave than the cartridges if possible.

...any suggestions on a razor, brush & soap, and aftershave balm are appreciated! (Donā€™t use pre-shave oil) and I shave daily (no beard / just goatee).

Thank you,

Midas
The Edwin Jagger DE89 will give you a closer shave than the Merkur 34C. I would purchase a sample pack of blades to try. Creams are easier to learn to lather than soaps. Proraso makes great shave creams.
Nowadays synthetic brushes are excellent. (Not so when I started but great strides have been made.)A 24mm knot brush might be a good idea (not too big and not too small) .
I hope this helps give you some good direction to look into.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
Ā 
Curious to hear about the fatguy once youā€™ve had a chance to try it.

Received the Fat Guy after only 10 days from order to arrival! Couldn't wait to use. Shave summary: GSC Fat Guy, Feather blade, Proraso pre-shave, PAA Sangre de Drago soap, PAA Sangre de Drago aftershave, and Nivea post shave balm. So, I went a little to fast and treated it like the King C Gillette DE razor = mistake! Lots of nicks/weepers, more than I've ever experienced. First pass was on setting 3, then pass two and three I moved down to setting 2. The next shaves I'm going w/a mild blade and setting 1.
Ā 
Was thinking of trying a straight razor next couple of months. Maybe one w/blades you insert, dunno?

Sounds like you are enjoying it all. I expect that you will enjoy a shavette (straight razor with replaceable blades).

I enjoy my shavette and straight razors. I definitely think that a shavette is great on its own or as a starting point towards SRs.

I personally like folding shavettes that use a half of a DE blade. Very nimble, no new blades required, and very inexpensive to start with a basic model. My current Focus R28 Slim is a little pricier, but a good choice if you are not just passing through shavettes on the way to the SR rabbit hole.
Ā 
@LMcC on my 2nd time using the Fat Guy, set it to 1, changed blade from Feather to the ones that came with the razor: Gememe. Proraso (all 3 Green) pre-shave, soap, and aftershave. BBS (both shaves) with zero nicks/weepers! Now I have to master the angle so I can dial up the numbers from one! Lol
Ā 
After 4mos with the GSC FatGuy: in the beginning I set it to 5 and was a blood bath. Then dialed it all the way back to 1 for a few months, then to 2 for a month, now I can stand 3 with some growth for the first PDā€™s then I dial it down. What a pain to get used to. I find myself going back to the mild (KCG, 34c) razors every 2 shaves. Almost feel like selling the Fat Guy considering what my wife paid for it. Any pointers would be helpful.
Ā 

FarmerTan

After 4mos with the GSC FatGuy: in the beginning I set it to 5 and was a blood bath. Then dialed it all the way back to 1 for a few months, then to 2 for a month, now I can stand 3 with some growth for the first PDā€™s then I dial it down. What a pain to get used to. I find myself going back to the mild (KCG, 34c) razors every 2 shaves. Almost feel like selling the Fat Guy considering what my wife paid for it. Any pointers would be helpful.
That sucks. I have a Fatboy (I always giggle here!) that I'm okay with, but it just feels gimmicky to me. No love lost for it.

Have you tried an old Gillette Tech? I have one from 1962 (an H2) that I think it would be impossible to hurt myself with. It's the closest thing I have to a DE with the ease of a cartridge.

Good luck my friend, Dave
Ā 
Dave, do you have a vintage Fatboy or modern version: ā€œFat GUYā€ by Global Shave Club? Not that it matters a whole lot.

When the razor passes on my face, it has a hollow sound/feel to it. Also I donā€™t know how to describe it but it makes like a tinny sound/vibration. I think itā€™s the blade not the razor itself. This is my only complaint really. Itā€™s not solid feeling when it does this.

Anyone reading this have any theories on why this is. Iā€™d like to hear from someone with a vintage FB, and especially like to hear from someone who owns both! Do both razors do thi?!?! (As I drift over to the Bay to buy a vintage Gillette FB for comparison) šŸ˜
Ā 

FarmerTan

Dave, do you have a vintage Fatboy or modern version: ā€œFat GUYā€ by Global Shave Club? Not that it matters a whole lot.

When the razor passes on my face, it has a hollow sound/feel to it. Also I donā€™t know how to describe it but it makes like a tinny sound/vibration. I think itā€™s the blade not the razor itself. This is my only complaint really. Itā€™s not solid feeling when it does this.

Anyone reading this have any theories on why this is. Iā€™d like to hear from someone with a vintage FB, and especially like to hear from someone who owns both! Do both razors do thi?!?! (As I drift over to the Bay to buy a vintage Gillette FB for comparison) šŸ˜
Mines a vintage, 1959.... Hollow is as good a descriptor as any I suppose. I like the heft of it, but I know that if I used it every day I'd just leave it on 4 or 5, so there is no benefit to having it.
Ā 
Top Bottom