What's new

Hello from Ontario, Canada!

Welcome linty1,
I just started this adventure as well , I came across an old Gillette at a flea market , it was in good shape and for $10 , I couldn't resist ... That was the push that I needed

linty1

My wallet cries.
Welcome linty1,
I just started this adventure as well , I came across an old Gillette at a flea market , it was in good shape and for $10 , I couldn't resist ... That was the push that I needed

Oh neat, I love flea markets, which one did you go to? I usually go to Mississauga FM to walk around...

Linty1
Since I just found out you shave dry with a mach3, no one should have to go through that

PM me your Address and I'll mail you out a starter kit with a razor a bunch of blades a few samples of cream/soap enough to last you a while or get your feet wet
I don't have a spare brush at the moment so you'll have to hunt for that yourself

Never hurt to start a newbie off with a PIF :)

Oh neat, I love flea markets, which one did you go to? I usually go to Mississauga FM to walk around...

870 Taunton Road East in Whitby, just east of Thickson Road.

This and That Flea Market , only open Sundays

Its very small, but some neat stuff.

linty1

My wallet cries.
@ sladist thanks, the one I go to is Mississagua Flea Market, 3090 Mavis Road Mississauga, ON L5C 1T8
although it's mostly clothing, dvds, food and various hardware items.

@ Nova thank you for your offer, but please let me pay you. I pm-ed you.

Hello and welcome. I'm new here as well. Judging by the number of greetings, it looks like we have a few neighbours here. I'm in Scarborough.

Welcome to the family, Linty1!
Hello from Montreal.

Shaving dry is a recipe for disaster, mate. Classical wetshaving needs TLC, and no rushing. After 1.5 years of experience, I still enjoy 30min shaves.
Enjoy your DE journey.

Linty1
Since I just found out you shave dry with a mach3, no one should have to go through that

PM me your Address and I'll mail you out a starter kit with a razor a bunch of blades a few samples of cream/soap enough to last you a while or get your feet wet
I don't have a spare brush at the moment so you'll have to hunt for that yourself

Never hurt to start a newbie off with a PIF :)

Good on you! Very noble gesture!

870 Taunton Road East in Whitby, just east of Thickson Road.

This and That Flea Market , only open Sundays

Its very small, but some neat stuff.

Try the Courtice and Stouffille flea markets as well. There are quite often some grand things to be found there.

Thanks Chris,
$ is a tight right now, but shopping around for a Merkur 34, and I remember seeing an old bottle of Cremo Creme somewhere so those will be my starting points. Looking through the safety blades area of the forums... basically the answer is: get a bunch, try until you find something that suits you. lol I don't tend to have to shave much, Tues/Thurs/sundays are my shave days, how about you guys? I've seen dude come into work clean shaven, and by the end of the day they need a shave, so testing blades for me might take a month or two lol.

linty both pickering town centre and scarb town center have 34c's in stock at the personal edge store will run you about 40 bucks, they also have mwf in stock under the kent brand name, which you will come to see is oft the subject of conversation on the forums here
they also have some brushes in there,.. kents and some unknown line and scarb town centre, also has a crabtree and evelyn, fantastic soaps in there,.. the shoppers drug mart you will find proraso products and the real shaving company which is the house brand line to the cream makers of the three T's

Last edited:
Super! Dave (BentonClay) is just around the corner from you and there's a few others in the GTA, including Joseph(ItalianBarber is in Richmond Hill). If you happen to come out towards Ajax, let me know and we'll chat over coffee.
I work in ajax Rock, if you drive a mazda let me know i can help with parts at least lol

linty1

My wallet cries.
linty both pickering town centre and scarb town center have 34c's in stock at the personal edge store will run you about 40 bucks, they also have mwf in stock under the kent brand name, which you will come to see is oft the subject of conversation on the forums here
they also have some brushes in there,.. kents and some unknown line and scarb town centre, also has a crabtree and evelyn, fantastic soaps in there,.. the shoppers drug mart you will find proraso products and the real shaving company which is the house brand line to the cream makers of the three T's

Oh Personal edge! I know that store! There is one in Erin Mills Town Centre, thanks for the tip, I will go have a look there when I go by. What are the three T's?

edit: nvm the three ts... found it. good ole glossary :)

Last edited:
Most of the Shoppers Drug Marts have Omega boar brushes for around $16.
Inspired by Nova316: I've got a few creams from QCS (some of the best IMHO), Edwin Jagger, etc. that I'd be happy to scoop a sample of and send your way. Shoot me a PM with your address.

Nova316...good on you Sir. You and your ilk make B&B the world's finest gent's club.

Linty: The 3Ts are: Taylor of Old Bond Street (ToBS), Geo. F Trumper (GFT), and Truefitt and Hill (T&H). At the risk of taking some serious abuse from my B&B brethren, I'm not really a fan of any of the Ts. My ToBS Avocado burned my face, T&H creams seemed very "chemically" (sorry for making up a word) and loaded with perfume, and my GFT samplers were mediocre for really expensive product. For half the price, QCS gets my money for what I feel is a superior performing and more natural product.

linty1

My wallet cries.
Hi djwhite, thank you for your generous offer, however I think I have enough to get started :)

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Thanks Chris,
$ is a tight right now, but shopping around for a Merkur 34, and I remember seeing an old bottle of Cremo Creme somewhere so those will be my starting points. Looking through the safety blades area of the forums... basically the answer is: get a bunch, try until you find something that suits you. lol I don't tend to have to shave much, Tues/Thurs/sundays are my shave days, how about you guys? I've seen dude come into work clean shaven, and by the end of the day they need a shave, so testing blades for me might take a month or two lol.

Speaking of creams, why... why saving cream? Could you shave with like.... hair conditioner, Keri, Cetaphil etc? I think I've even heard of butter used...
Evan:

For me...VDH Deluxe Soap it's my one & only 'go-to' soap!!! :thumbsup:

"why saving cream [...or shaving soap for that matter]"?
proxy.php

In terms of performance...(soaps and/or shaving creams), most give great lather, lubercation, cushion and glide. As for VDH Deluxe, it's hypo-allergenic and contains 40% moisturizers, including Aloe Vera & Shea Butter with no animal products and no harsh chemicals to irritate my sensitive skin (for further input, see the Reveiws (http://badgerandblade.com/reviews/s...&title=-van-der-hagen-delux-shave-soap&cat=40), for this soap).

Plus I add about 6-8 drops of glycerine per puck before I melt it (nuke), into my Sears Catalog Shaving mug for extra lubercation, cushion, glide
and Überlather. :thumbsup:

proxy.php
“Laughter is the [shaving lather]...that sweeps away the cobwebs of your heart”. Mort Walker

Attachments

• $wm_normal_shave_soap.jpg
    $wm_normal_shave_soap.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 52

linty1

My wallet cries.
Most of the Shoppers Drug Marts have Omega boar brushes for around $16.
Inspired by Nova316: I've got a few creams from QCS (some of the best IMHO), Edwin Jagger, etc. that I'd be happy to scoop a sample of and send your way. Shoot me a PM with your address.

Nova316...good on you Sir. You and your ilk make B&B the world's finest gent's club.

THanks Dj, I went to have a look today, and those Omega (they were either Omega or Kent, I forget actually) brushes I saw, were on sale for $12. Also I went to Body Shop and they had a brush there for $12 as well.

Top Bottom