What's new

Hello from California

The second shave also went well from the standpoint of not being bloody. However, it was less close and had more irritation than the first shave. I am sure I used too much pressure, my angle was off at times, and I am still trying to determine the best pattern for shaving with and across the grain. I had less time because I was shaving before work. The lather was also not as slick as Saturday's batch. I am tempted to switch to the R4 base from the R3 base, but I am concerned about changing things while I am still learning the technique.

As an update: My first week went fairly well, but the last two shaves (of six) were not as good as the first ones. By that I mean that I had a lot of irritation. I did have a very close shave; better than the cartridge. And the irritation was no worse than trying to squeeze a second week out of a Mach 3 cartridge. The irritation is under my chin and on my upper lip, which have always been problem areas.

I switched to the R4 plate on my third shave. The grain is pretty complicated under my chin, but I think I have it mapped out. I am probably just using too much pressure. I am doing a WTG pass, then a XTG pass, and finishing with an ATG pass. I did do a fourth ATG pass on Friday because I wasn't happy with how close it was.

I also switched soaps from Stirling unscented with beeswax to Stirling Barbershop on Thursday. It is a harder soap. I didn't have enough soap on the brush on Thursday, but I think I got a good lather on Friday. It is still taking me a half an hour to shave. Hopefully that comes down with time and practice.

This morning was a bit of a breakthrough for me. After two weeks, my shaves were still taking 30 minutes. I have been doing three passes plus touchup: wtg, xtg, and atg. I decided to skip the xtg step this morning. I was done in 15 minutes and with a lot less irritation. It is a very close shave, although not BBS.

This morning was a bit of a breakthrough for me. After two weeks, my shaves were still taking 30 minutes. I have been doing three passes plus touchup: wtg, xtg, and atg. I decided to skip the xtg step this morning. I was done in 15 minutes and with a lot less irritation. It is a very close shave, although not BBS.
Everyone's face is different! Do what works well for you. I don't think anyone picks this up and gets perfect, irritation-free shaves immediately. You've got a good kit to start with, it just takes a bit of time to dial in the lather and get a good sense of what your face can tolerate. I have been DE shaving for about 12 years and every so often I still get a rough shave. I think the guide @AimlessWanderer wrote is a great read.

Here is an update for those interested or just starting their journey into DE shaving. After two months of shaving my technique has improved a lot. My shave now takes around 15 minutes instead of the 30 when I started. I usually get a DFS shave, but sometimes BBS. There is still some small areas of irritation, but it is getting better.

I started with a synthetic brush and quickly changed to a badger brush (Stirling Finest Badger). For the first 6-7 weeks, I only used Voskhod Blades in a Rockwell 6S razor (R4 plate). A week ago I started on my blade sampler. I can get a decent shave with the Voskhod blades, but they always tug even on the first shave. The first blade I tried was a Feather. No tugging at all! The first shave seemed to go well, but I had a lot of irritation under my chin afterwards. The second shave was one of the best shaves I have had so far and the third shave from the blade was good, but had some irritation. The second blade I tried is the Kai. My third shave with the Kai was this morning and all three shaves were close and comfortable. I am going to try a Personna Med Prep blade next.

Thanks for the update. If I may, keep trying out blades. Gillette Platinum, Polsilver, Gillette GSB, Gillette 7 o'clock yellow, Astra SP are good options.

Take care.

Mac

It's great to hear about your progress. This sure is a wonderful pastime, & it's a necessary part of the day as well. So we might as well make the most of it! I agree with @Macfrommichigan suggestion about continuing to try blades. And as you are currently doing, give each blade several shaves before deciding how you like them. Some blades smooth out after the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th shave. Good luck & enjoy!

Thanks for the update. If I may, keep trying out blades. Gillette Platinum, Polsilver, Gillette GSB, Gillette 7 o'clock yellow, Astra SP are good options.

Take care.

Mac

Thanks. I have over 25 different blades in my sampler. I have samples of all of those, but I am trying to avoid the Gillette products. It will take me a while to work through them. I really like the Kai blade, but if there is one that is less expensive and works just as well I would like to find it. Not that I am that price sensitive. I will buy the Kai's if they are the best blade for me. The second shave on the Feather was incredible, but the first was painful. Once my technique improves more, it could be the perfect blade.

Some blades smooth out after the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th shave. Good luck & enjoy!

Yeah, I couldn't get a good shave on the third day with the Voskhods or the Feather. I got three good shaves from the Kai and I will try for a fourth tomorrow. Even though they are more expensive up front, they could actually be less costly per shave.

Welcome to B&B. If those blades don't do it, try Gillette Silver Blue.

Thanks for the welcome! I have samples of Gillette Silver Blues, but as I mentioned, I am trying to avoid Gillette products. I have tried the Feather, Kai, and Personna Med Prep blades. I couldn't really tell much difference between the Kai and Med Prep blades. Both were smooth, without tugging, and I got three close comfortable shaves out of each. I did cut myself with the Med Preps on the third shave, but I think that was my fault and not the blade's. I am going to try the Personna Lab Blues next and then the Israeli Reds.

Top Bottom