What's new

Hello from California

I am new to DE shaving. I really appreciate all the advice offered here and at Wicked Edge/Reddit. I am 55 and I have never used a safety razor before. I started with an electric razor, which irritated my skin, and then switched to cartridge razors sometime in my late 20's. I have been using Mach 3 razors for at least a couple of decades. I can't remember when I started with them. I can get a great comfortable shave with a new blade, but it is pretty rough by the end of the second week. Even with stropping the blade on a pair jeans every couple of days.

I have received all the DE equipment and supplies that I ordered and will hopefully have my first DE shave this afternoon. I am starting with a Rockwell 6S razor, a Voskhod blade, a custom brush handle from Lowborn Supply with a synthetic knot, and Stirling unscented shaving soap with beeswax. I bought a sample pack of blades from Tryablade.com, but I also bought a bulk order of the Voskhod blades. I am hoping to just stick with those until I learn how to use the razor. If the Voskhods don't work out, they were less than $10.

Welcome aboard! Nice setup to get started. Astras are also a good blade to start with (as well as to stick with).

Howdy! Please don't expect instant results. Remember the first time you drove a car?

You will hold the razor too tightly. You will apply too much pressure. You will get the angle wrong. You will start with the brush too wet. You will even cut yourself a wee bit.

Light touch, my friend, very light. In three weeks you will make great progress. In six months you will be a veteran.

Glad you are here!

Welcome! Sounds like you put together a good kit. Limit variables at first, and keep it simple...once you get the hang of it, you’ll never reach for that Mach 3 again.

Howdy! Please don't expect instant results. Remember the first time you drove a car?

Lol! Honestly, I don't remember much about the first time I drove a car as that was 40 years ago. I do remember the first time my daughter drove a car (with me in the passenger seat). That was a scary experience. I am keeping my expectations low for the first few weeks, but I am hoping not to do too much damage to my face. I will probably give it a shot pretty soon.

Top Bottom