What's new

Hello Everyone

Thanks for letting me join, I’ve just started with straight razors and de razors about 3 months.i can’t wait to shave everyday it’s great. I enjoy honing almost as much as shaving. I have a quick question. I have polished a straight razor all the way to .3 micros but now I have uneven sound on my strop. What should I do. Thanks again for letting me join

Can't help with the razor, as I am still learning myself. However, welcome to the forums. Glad you joined us.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I have a quick question. I have polished a straight razor all the way to .3 micros but now I have uneven sound on my strop. What should I do. Thanks again for letting me join
Welcome to B&B. I cannot help with your question but ask in the straight razor section and I am sure you will get some helpful replies.

Welcome! How did you go about polishing up your razor? Only on stones or stones + pasted strops ect?
Does it give an even sound through the whole stroke but give a different sound on the way back? If you can only hear that "scratch" sound sometimes then maybe you have to give the strop some slack. Try pulling it tight then light pressure stropping, if its uneven or doesn't give you good feedback here try giving the strop gradual slack.
Glad to have you here!

Welcome! How did you go about polishing up your razor? Only on stones or stones + pasted strops ect?
Does it give an even sound through the whole stroke but give a different sound on the way back? If you can only hear that "scratch" sound sometimes then maybe you have to give the strop some slack. Try pulling it tight then light pressure stropping, if its uneven or doesn't give you good feedback here try giving the strop gradual slack.
Glad to have you here!
I used stones up to a Chinese 12k and then .3 lapping film. Then pasted rough side of the strop and than the clean leather side. I tried stropping the side making the more noise only. It still makes more noise on one side than the other.

How does it shave? Im not sure the "sound" is all that significant because the grind on razors is never perfect side/side if its a hand made razor. (Close but not exact)

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
A razor always sounds different coming to you vs going away from you on the strop. If you are stropping correctly then you are stropping correctly.

The next leather strop you buy, keep all abrasives well away from it. You must not risk contaminating the hair side of the strop! And the flesh side is TBH not the best surface for stropping pasted or unpasted. If you really want to use pastes, see this thread:

Top Bottom