What's new

Heirloom straight

My Dad just gave me his grand daddy's straight razor! Its has Devon mfg co Chicago on the tang. Couldn't find much info online.

Attachments

• 15750775304371354966423467487834.jpg
    15750775304371354966423467487834.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 60
Congrats! It looks to be in great user grade shape! A little sanding and a hone, and it should be good to go.

Based on the look, I'd guess that it was made by J.R. Torrey and branded with the other company.

The tang says DEVON MFG. CO CHICAGO. I could only find Devon...Germany online and it sold for CHEAP. Think I should put any work into it to use it?

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The tang says DEVON MFG. CO CHICAGO. I could only find Devon...Germany online and it sold for CHEAP. Think I should put any work into it to use it?

Hone and go. I doubt those are original scales. It's a user. Hone and shave. I see a pretty good ding in the edge about 1/4" from the heel. Otherwise looks fine. If you decide to just put it away, maybe give it a coat of petroleum jelly to prevent rust.

Send it to Alfredo aka Doc226 and have him do what he thinks it needs.

This is a great suggestion. If you're new to straights, then you don't want to cut your teeth honing on a family heirloom. I'd send it off to a professional to be honed, and then buy some inexpensive blades to learn to hone on.

Top Bottom