What's new

Hat Size

I'm searching eBay for a vintage hat. My head comfortably measures 22 5/8th inches where my hat would sit. Here is the problem! Some charts say 7 1/8th some say 7 1/4 some don't list the 5/8th and go straight to 3/4 with a total different hat size. There are so many charts to use I'm confused. What should I do about my hat size and vintage hats?

I would say to try it on first, but that obviously won't work! If you are set to purchase from ebay, you might ask the seller about what to do if it doesn't fit. Other than that, err on the big side since you can add felt/cardboard inserts inside the sweat band to fill it out. Good luck, John

It's better to err too large...there are foam inserts you can put within hat band to snug it up a bit. You're at a kind of in between size.

Too small a hat can be tough. They can theoretically be stretched out by a hat maker, but it's an expense, shipping, waiting, etc.

There may be a hatter in your town that can also clean and block it.

I'd say you want 7 3/8 or 59cm. Depending on the hat, these may fit perfect.

And BTW, if you're not already aware of it, check out thefedoralounge.com

They have great classifieds open to members. Much more reputable and trustable to me than eBay. Lotta hat freaks in there. Heavy on the vintage stuff.

Last edited:
Something else to consider... is your head round or oval?

It may not make a difference when buying a fedora or a bowler, but it certainly does with a Stetson.

Something else to consider... is your head round or oval?

It may not make a difference when buying a fedora or a bowler, but it certainly does with a Stetson.

Hey who you callin round head?!!!!Round Head!!!!

More oval than basketball shaped if that helps?

I own several hats but the first one I bought was given quickly to a relative as it was too tight. I bought it mail-order from Barbour after measuring my head but it just didn't work for me. Also, even hatters which have the integrity to use a real hat size seem to find it very difficult to make all examples of the same hat in the same size fit the same. Tilley seem consistent, but you'd
a) have to like them
and
b) have been in a stockist to find out what size and style you prefer. I've got a couple of waxed-cotton Bush hats from Hoggs of Fife in "small", which were tight but perfect in the brim and height when I bought them, but which have fortunately stretched to fit as well as any hat I've tried, but I don't think that would work with a Vitafelt model. My advice is, wait till you see the right one then get it. I've done this with other things I really wanted, waiting as long as 6 years for one item and didn't regret it

I've been searching various manufacturer's and e-store store sizing charts Alll give different sizes for my head measurement. My head is 22.5 inches in diameter. I've measured it numerous times and this is a fact 22.5 inches. According to Village hat shop I'm close to 22 5/8 or 7 1/4
Lids has me 22 3/8 or 7-1/8 , 22 3/4 or 7-1/4
Mens Hats Sizing Chart 22 1/2 or 7 1/8
Mike The Hatter 22 1/2 or 7 1/8
22 21/32 or 22 5/8 or 7 1/4
As you can see I have a number of choices depending on the information dispalyed here.
Patient is a virtue in the search for the right hat.

Be careful if you spot a UK hat you like. Our sizes are on average 1/4 smaller that the American sizes, e.g. American 7 3/8 is a UK 7 1/4 or a 59cm

I'm also one of the regulars on Fedora Lounge.I have bought many,many,many:blink:hats on ebay.I wear a 7-1/4.I buy 7-1/8,7-1/4,7-3/8.I have hats in all three sizes that fit me perfectly.I also have hats in those sizes that don't fit.You just never know what you are going to get.

Top Bottom