What's new

Hat/Hair Question

Just wondering how others handle this "issue"...which is most likely only a problem for me.

I have a pretty nice head of hair (if I do say so myself :001_tongu ) and I am looking to start wearing a hat. It probably won't be on a daily basis to start, but definitely in the winter months. I've picked up a couple of inexpensive hats to start with and will upgrade if hat wearing suits me.

Now for the issue...when I wear a hat I end up with "hat head". I wear my hair in a low pompadour style, but by the time I get to work my hair is in the basic shape of whichever hat I wore that day. Luckily since I use Murray's pomade in my hair it is easily fixed once I get here.

Question is does anyone else experience this and if so how do you deal with it? Or is it that my hats are too small? They fell right and seem to fit properly, but maybe I need something a little taller. At the same time I don't want it to look like a ten gallon cowboy hat on my head.

I keep a comb and product at my desk and go to the washroom to just re-do my hair if the hathead is too bad. I have some length on top that is naturally a bit curly so I use gel for a touseled look. Hathead mats everything down so for me the only solution is to start over.

That's pretty much it. Back in my fedora & pompador/pommade days I justed to cary a comb wrapped in a hankie in my back pocket for fixing my hair when the hat came off.

Also careful with the hat, I'm not sure what Murray's is like, but Dax destroyed my hats.

Thanks guys for the comments. I was pretty sure that would be it, but thought I'd ask.

As for how the Murray's will treat the hat...I'm pretty sure it will be rough on it. That's part of the reason not to spend too much on one yet. If I find I really enjoy wearing a hat I'll have to review hair products. :smile:

G

gone down south

I keep my hair messy all the time, no-one can tell when it's on purpose or not!

Another simple solution would be to shave your head. People seldom complain of "hat-scalp" for a reason :smile:

I commute an hour to work by motorcycle. Helmet head is way worse than hat head.

Old-school mens hairbrushes (the ones that look like a shoe brush) really make fast work of fixing hair without water--they will even take out bed head. There are days when I do have to wet my hair again, but most days a few runs with the brush are enough.

Another simple solution would be to shave your head. People seldom complain of "hat-scalp" for a reason :smile:

Trust me...that would not be a pretty sight. I was a very "active child" as my mother always says. Which I guess is code for many trips to the hospital. I've had more stitches in my head than there are on a baseball. :001_tongu

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose

This was my solution. I shaved my head every winter so I could wear a hat and grew it out every summer so I didn't get sunburn on my scalp.

I would still be doing this but the fiancee HATES my head shaved.

Everyone's hair is different and how yours will react to a hat not known till you wear one.

With me, if I'm wearing a properly fitted hat, it usually has no effect on my hair...or at most requires a quick comb.

A properly chosen fedora should not cut into your hairline like a baseball cap giving you that circle within your hair.

What brand of brush do you use? I'm in the market for a new one and what you described sounds pretty spot on.

I commute an hour to work by motorcycle. Helmet head is way worse than hat head.

Old-school mens hairbrushes (the ones that look like a shoe brush) really make fast work of fixing hair without water--they will even take out bed head. There are days when I do have to wet my hair again, but most days a few runs with the brush are enough.

Top Bottom