What's new

Has the whole "scent free" thing in workplaces and public space gone too far?

We lie in an apartment with an elevator that holds onto perfume when ladies over-apply it. Then residents who have asthma, COPD or other respiratory problems -- they are in trouble. As others have said above, the problem is people who drench themselves in scent.

i wish they had when i used to work wuth a guy with b bo
Fresh out of uni my first boss had horrible BO. We're talking Seinfeld'esque rampant, mutant, its an entity, that clings to everything sort of stink. We left a stick of Mitchum deodorant on his desk with a post-it saying "I know it says you can skip a day....please don't". He was extra grumpy for a few days after that.

But back to the original topic. I think if there was a world-wide embargo on the sale and use of Drakkar Noir that would probably solve about 99% of male fragrance complaints.

And yes there are some horrific women's fragrances as well. My one aunt, who I love terribly, wears a perfume that would make The Veg a treat for my nose. Fake floral on top of baby powder on top of the musk from a decomposed wombat's anal glands.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Fresh out of uni my first boss had horrible BO. We're talking Seinfeld'esque rampant, mutant, its an entity, that clings to everything sort of stink. We left a stick of Mitchum deodorant on his desk with a post-it saying "I know it says you can skip a day....please don't". He was extra grumpy for a few days after that.

But back to the original topic. I think if there was a world-wide embargo on the sale and use of Drakkar Noir that would probably solve about 99% of male fragrance complaints.

And yes there are some horrific women's fragrances as well. My one aunt, who I love terribly, wears a perfume that would make The Veg a treat for my nose. Fake floral on top of baby powder on top of the musk from a decomposed wombat's anal glands.
Toxic b b o is worse than second hand smoke! Our guy didn't have a desk and no one would have even thought to say something.
Did your trick work or was he in denial?

Let us be honest, complainers are going to complain. Many people who complain about scent are doing so because they like to complain. A lot of folks do the same with their farts. Everyone else's farts stink but their own.

Are there folks that wear too much stuff? Sure do. Are there those that don't, but are going to pointed at by complainers? Sure will.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Let us be honest, complainers are going to complain. Many people who complain about scent are doing so because they like to complain. A lot of folks do the same with their farts. Everyone else's farts stink but their own.

Are there folks that wear too much stuff? Sure do. Are there those that don't, but are going to pointed at by complainers? Sure will.
good point! Aside from someone dealing with serious medical or reactions as was discussed earlier in thus thread quite convincingly i agree that there are a large number of complaints. If i smell someone with too much cologne im amused more than anything and rejoice that its not me lol

good point! Aside from someone dealing with serious medical or reactions as was discussed earlier in thus thread quite convincingly i agree that there are a large number of complaints. If i smell someone with too much cologne im amused more than anything and rejoice that its not me lol
I'm leaving out the folks with an actual issue. Those folks usually conform to the rules life provided them, and you will more than likely never hear them complain unless it is legit. Even then, they are polite about it and move on. I don't know, I could be wrong on that part.

But the complainers. The ones who will complain about anything. They are everywhere. Everything is an insult. Everything is personal. Everything is wrong. They have the only solution. They are usually married to a successful older gentleman who they have ridden the coattails of since marriage and have never accomplished anything in their entire life. However, they have the solution for everything. They have just did nothing, but they saw a video on YouTube, and are so offended. They'll tell you all about it.

However, I digress. If you are going to an area that has known folks with allergies, tone it down. Go somewhere with just complainers, carry your bottle with you.

I'm one of the people with the issue. Air fresheners are the worst. Women's cologne and lotion is really bad if they use much of it. Men's fragrances have never bothered me but men tend to go light on it. If I put on cologne(Lagerfeld usually), I wipe most of it off.

Hey, I like wombat anal glands....

Hey, I like wombat anal glands....

:a14:

proxy.php

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Fine work.

Everybody likes Polo! The Green, anyway.

I choose to offend with Grey Flannel, personally. "The Violet Hammer," it even makes me choke. I probably shouldn't just pour the bottle down the front of my shirt, though.*

It gets to be lunchtime and my eyes are still tearing from the stuff. Pure awesome.

AA

* I am of course using hyperbole - no, that's not ANOTHER cologne. I don't think ...

Last edited:
Fine work.

Everybody likes Polo! The Green, anyway.

I choose to offend with Grey Flannel, personally. "The Violet Hammer," it even makes me choke. I probably shouldn't just pour the bottle down the front of my shirt, though.*

It gets to be lunchtime and my eyes are still tearing from the stuff. Pure awesome.

AA

* I am of course using hyperbole - no, that's not ANOTHER cologne. I don't think ...
Excellent. No fakin' the funk..if you're gonna go, go hard!

I sprayed myself 46 times to go grocery shopping! Store manager will probably be looking all over the store for the bottle of Extra Strength Pine Sol that got dumped over.

Green smoke was pouring off my skin..but smells soooo good!

(really 4-5 quick lil spritzes, but of some dank Cosmair era)

Top Bottom