What's new

Has the whole "scent free" thing in workplaces and public space gone too far?

Fine work.

Everybody likes Polo! The Green, anyway.

I choose to offend with Grey Flannel, personally. "The Violet Hammer," it even makes me choke. I probably shouldn't just pour the bottle down the front of my shirt, though.*

It gets to be lunchtime and my eyes are still tearing from the stuff. Pure awesome.

AA

* I am of course using hyperbole - no, that's not ANOTHER cologne. I don't think ...
The Violet Hammer! Love it!

I think that when people use scents lightly there really is no problem.

The problem is people who wear massive amounts. Plus the fact that there are simply more scented products then ever before, and that they are used everywhere. STUNNING fabric softeners, OVERBEARING car air fresheners, STRONG fabreeze-type sprays, and on and on.

People who wear a bit of scent that can be detected only when you are a foot away from them are not the problem.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I think that when people use scents lightly there really is no problem.

The problem is people who wear massive amounts.

People who wear a bit of scent that can be detected only when you are a foot away from them are not the problem.

I agree.

I also wonder if the best solution to overpowering scents is to have a 'zero tolerance' policy, as many buildings do.

I also wonder if the best solution to overpowering scents is to have a 'zero tolerance' policy, as many buildings do.
Not a big fan of people telling me what I can and can't do. On the other hand, what if someone is on the opposite end of the spectrum? Someone who hasn't been showering or using underarm protection?

With that said, I have yet to be around anyone in the last ten years that wore too much fragrance. Like I pointed out before, the people that seem to complain the most about fragrance seem to be people that just like to complain. People who have allergies to scents seem to know how to handle themselves in polite society.

We had a training module for work and they had slides on scent sensitivity in the Americans with Disability section.
And they had a training section that said that people shouldn't stereotype people based on ethnic origin where they inadvertently actually stereotyped people based on their ethnicity. LOL

I once brought in those red cinnamon bear candies, and I was told to put them away and not bring anything cinnamon in around my area because the lady who sat on the other side of the cube wall from me was allergic to cinnamon. First time I'd ever heard of it. But, okay.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
We had a training module for work and they had slides on scent sensitivity in the Americans with Disability section.
And they had a training section that said that people shouldn't stereotype people based on ethnic origin where they inadvertently actually stereotyped people based on their ethnicity. LOL

For one, I appreciate that.

Imagine if some house came up with a peanut-butter based cologne? It could offend AND endanger others!

Might smell really good, though. I'm on the fence.

AA

Thankfully my hospital and Trust aren't fragrance-free.

If I am working in theatres for the day then I am not permitted to wear fragrance, but whenever I am outside of theatres(which I know in advance) then I always wear something.

I tend to stay away from fragrances that are too flashy or in-your-face, so Bleu de Chanel is my typical go-to with Tom Ford's Ombré Leather being used for a change.

Top Bottom