What's new

Has anyone turned corian?

I have the knot figured out, now I need to get to work on the handle. I preface this with "I am a packrat". Some time ago I got some samples for a counter top, and the rep said to keep or pitch them. Well I kept them. I now was thinking of what to make my first handle out of, and the corian came to mind. I will have to epoxy the pices together to make a block big enough. Does anyone see a problem with this? I also was wondering should I use metal or wood cutting tools? I will be using my brothers lathe, he has only used it make bolts for his rock crawler, but it came with wood cutting knives. This will be my first attempt at turning something, and my brothers first curved.

Thanks!

I've turned Corian in the past for pipe tampers ... usually used carbide tools on my Taig lathe. Shouldn't be a problem to epoxy some samples together to make a block (just be sure to roughen up the mating surfaces first). You'll find the block a lot easier to round if you cut the corners down with a saw first. I usually run big blocks through a bandsaw to get them sort of octagonal before chucking them into the lathe.

Yes, it turns quite well, if a bit brittle on heavy cuts. Sand the surfaces of the raw material to make them flat and have a bit of tooth, and use superglue to stack them. Have a look at my picture folder for some pics of brush handles I made from corian. Good luck on your project!

(hmmm, seems B&B currently is without pictures for the moment)

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I will past some shots when I get it done. Klopstick, hopefully the pics will be back up soon.

Top Bottom