What's new

Has anyone tried the Muhle Companion yet?

Anyone tried this yet? Thoughts? I'm always looking for the daily shaving grail (RAD, sigh) ... this one's been on my radar for a while. Boofy cord notwithstanding, the thought of $50, brand new molds for the head, tight blade clamping design, minimal (I think) blade exposure and covered ends sounds good for daily shaving

I'm a novice when it comes to shaving, but I've liked the companion as a starter for me. I found it hard to nick myself given the head design, but also hard to reach some corners.

I like the razor for the most part.

The looks
Its very nice in my opinion. But I especially like the design of the handle as far as such handles go. That "fingerprint" pattern enables sufficient grip ... it is just the perfect kind of grippy for me. I am not particularly fond of "classical" deeply (pointy, teethy) knurled handles, because the grip and adhesion is too much for my liking. Yes there is such a thing as too much grip in my opinion. I do not like the handles that adhere so much to my skin (with its knurled teeth) that I get the feeling that if something would pull the razor out of my hands it would tear my skin right off with it.
The fit of topcap and baseplate
Topcap and baseplate fit in a way reminiscent of Feather AS-D2 design with corners of topcap additinally having square slots that perfectly fit into holes in the baseplate. I really like that as it perfectly aligns both parts. No chance for misalignment. The blade tabs are fully covered. Side of the head is curvy (and convex), and fully enclosing the blade, so less chance of accidentally nicking when doing a pass under the nose or near earlobes.
The cord
Regarding the cord. I put it in just to see how it looks. But I was not planning to hang it in the shower so when I tried to put the cord out of its crevice, I did not manage to do so and got annoyed by it. Taking the cord out whole is too finicky. So I just ripped it out, and the clamp then just falls out of the spring loaded (compartment at the) bottom when you pull on it.
WTG, XTG, ATG
WTG and XTG passes are fine. ATG also quite manageble despite significant bladefeel. I do not have any problem doing any pass with it.
Bladefeel
Bladefeel is substantial for me. I have in my collection only mild to mid aggresive razors. Companion has mid level blade feel. You can feel it as soon as you put it against the skin. I find it strange that Muhle advertises such a razor as a Unisex for whole body shaves ... I would cringe at using it for any body part that is not my face. Waaaaay more aggressive than for instance Henson mild (also advertised for body shaving)

Minuses
A severe shortcomming for me is not related with shaving per se, but assembly/dissassembly of the razor. The side surfaces of the razorhead are curvy and bulge out (they are convex). Since the surfaces are plated they are also smoth. After doing my first shave with the razor, I was then trying to dissasemble the razor (with it being wet), my thumbfinger slipped of the tab and slid down the length of the razor blade edge. I got a 3cm cut on my thumb. I still like shaving with the razor and use it from time to time, just that now when I use it, I use towel to grip the head for assembly/dissassembly. Side surfaces should be at least flat or ideally concave like for instance with Muramasa, where there is no way for your fingers to slip.

Last edited:
Bought one for my daughter some years back. Mild with great efficiency. Also my Aha moment that made me realize I like exposed blade tabs.
It has been used under the shower and I have to say my teenage angel does not take any care of it. Opened it up the other day and there is pitting in the baseplate.
Will try and get some pictures up.
Oh, on the upside, the handle is surprisingly grippy.

I agree with the above statement.
Although I plan to give it another shot - using it for a few days straight.

If you still have it then no harm but if you have to buy it again, I hope you get a cheap one on secondary market.

To me, the companion is a flop in terms of head design/geometry.

“The first unisex razor.” 😂

I’m pretty sure women have been using long handles on existing heads forever. And guys who like long handles have used the Gillette ladies DE razors they used to make. It’s a head on a handle and you find one that you like the angle and exposure.

I chuckled also. But since societal norms are so entrenched I do not think it is that bad. Actually when you think about it, Muehle marketing department tackled some societal perception and used the correct description who users of the razor could be. Head on breacher of market segmentation wall that separates razors into ladies' and mens' DE. It is the first razor with proper explicit description of it's user base according to gender. I think Muehle deserves our praise if anything. I mean common guys that took ba... a lot of courage ... :).

Ceasers new clothes and cat is just a cat thingy. I mean why not, why are we so bitter about it. A new razor from Muehle is good news.

Bon voyage Unisex Companion, may the sea of markets keep you safe and the winds of desire guide you to the riches that wait beyond the horizon.

Top Bottom