What's new

Has anyone had this issue?

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Watch out for silicones in a can. Used 3m for a while. Last can i bought melted a set of celluloid scaled on a dubl duck. Tested on another set of junk scales did the same thing.

Spray can? Possibly the propellant. The plain bottle of silicone oil I have is labeled ‘food grade’. Hard to imagine that melting celluloid; I haven’t heard of any issues with the razor socks or their firearm counterparts.

I think that was the case. Was the propellant. But it melted the crap out of them. What made it worse was it was a special wedge and the scales were still clear as a glass of water.

Spray can? Possibly the propellant. The plain bottle of silicone oil I have is labeled ‘food grade’. Hard to imagine that melting celluloid; I haven’t heard of any issues with the razor socks or their firearm counterparts.

Not specific issues with the “silicone” socks chemically reacting , but you definitely can’t count on them as a cure for poor environmental conditions! I’m pretty sure if you leave something in a non climate controlled environment the socks actually can make rust worse by trapping the inevitable condensation against whatever metal object you’re “protecting” and causing distinctly knitted fabric patterned rust patches.

Honestly the best defense is a near air tight case and some type of VCI product. Everyone who’s been storing in cigar boxes has the right idea. For longer term storage get some zerust padding or something to line it and forget about it.

So I am the original poster, all I can say is that I am also a woodworker and I leave all of my hand tools (handplanes, chisels, handsaws, etc) in my garage which is not climate controlled and is in the state of Florida and none of my tools have rust. I will also say that there are times around when we have had children that I have left some of those tools unattended for years and still no rust. So what I can say is that I personally don't have any problems with rust on my tools or on my razors. If the posts in this thread are helping others than that is cool and why I love B&B. Please do not take this the wrong way and I have no intent to sound rude, but has anyone ever dealt with the problem in the original post? I only ask because it has never happened to me with countless other razors. Is there a chance that the scales were just too unfinished and raw on the inside? I also have no idea how to correct it other than new scales as it seems that it is fully soaked into the scales. Cheers!

Do a scratch/rub and sniff and tell me if the scales smell like formaldehyde.

If you have no rust problem stop getting mystery oil on your mystery polymer handles needlessly.

That’s not a joke btw, see if they give off a potent chemical smell. You should be able to get them to release some formaldehyde odor if it’s what I think it is.

That’s not a joke btw, see if they give off a potent chemical smell. You should be able to get them to release some formaldehyde odor if it’s what I think it is.
I will give it a shot, thanks. I oil my blades because I have 13 of them in the rotation and I work 24 on 48 off so I only shave every third day. I should have also qualified that all of my tools aren't rusted because I know how to keep them from rusting with oil, T9, or special waxes depending on the length of storage. They aren't magically rust free haha. I put in the necessary work, I was just stressing that so I could steer back to the original question because I haven't found any information on it anywhere. I think I am just going to rescale it. I have a ton of nice scrap wood. Cheers!

Last edited:
I will give it a shot, thanks. I oil my blades because I have 13 of them in the rotation and I work 24 on 48 off so I only shave every third day. I should have also qualified that all of my tools aren't rusted because I know how to keep them from rusting with oil, T9, or special waxes depending on the length of storage. They aren't magically rust free haha. I put in the necessary work, I was just stressing that so I could steer back to the original question because I haven't found any information on it anywhere.

It’s alright I get you my tools are mostly in a wooden chest with VCI devices so I “don’t have a rust issue” but I’m in south Texas so there exists a rust issue...

Sorry for the sarcasm too I know we’ve derailed the thread pretty far here.

So my suspicion for you is you have Bakelite scales, which is basically a formaldehyde resin plastic. The best cleaning method is with mild abrasive like brasso or possibly just the right toothpaste with the right whiteners...

Last edited:
No to hijack. You fire or ems with that schedule.
I work for Fire Rescue. However, where I live our fire department does both. We rotate between engines and rescues. We are the fire and our rescues are the only transport agency in our county. Cheers!

Top Bottom