What's new

Handlebar Stache

Okay guys have been at it for a few months and have resisted trimming and it's getting there but from my understanding you don't trim the hair that hangs down to allow it to grow towards the ends but the issue I am having is those longer center hairs droop down after a period of time, I currently use Firehouse light and like it but the drooping is makeing me want to trim and I am resisting

$image.jpg

You're further along than I am right now. I'm in the very awkward stage just a couple months in with lots of little droopers. Looks awesome...thanks for the inspiration. Keep it up!

Thanks guys but what can I use to keep those hairs over my mouth from falling, firehouse wax does s fine job
on the tops but the hair above my mouth tends to droop.

@panther308 - I hope you get a satisfactory answer to this, as I have the same problem. I've had a handlebar for years, but every time I feel like growing it very large, the middle droops down like a curtain or the proverbial soup-strainer.

I've tried the recommended daily combing ritual, which is a small help, but short of waxing it so much I might as well have covered it in epoxy glue, the wretched thing won't stay up (so to speak).

I draw the line at a night-time moustache hairnet, by the way.

That is coming along great!

As for the hold on the parts that want to droop, I am a lucky one and don't really run into that issue. I do wonder if it's not a question of which product, but more of method of application? The first application I use of my wax I make sure to get it on the underside, above the upper lip, so it gets hold up into that area. If that's not easy to do with the stuff you are using, maybe one of the really soft waxes like Dubs cream or the Proraso mustache wax will help in applying it to the underside, so you get some better hold in that area.

Well done!
I have been working this along myself and having survived the droops, cookie dusting phase and a cigar lighting incident- I am about 3/4 grown out to the ends now.

For right now you need to basically "stick" the short hairs together. When long enough you can grab it by the ends and concentrate your wax there. The process gets much easier as the hairs get longer.

The choices of wax are infinite- I have been using Lockharts and Mr Natty both are harder and hold much better than some of the softer waxes. Both need some help getting soft, I use a blow dryer and concentrate on getting the wax on my thumbs. I work the wax into the bottom of my stach moving the shorties up and out. I use a pea size amount over a couple of applications. As the hairs have grown, I am using less and less to accomplish this.

Hope this helps.

strop

Now half as wise
+1 on making sure you work the wax into the stache, especially the underside. You could also add a little cream type wax as the day goes on. I use Pinaud or Stern for this, but will eventually try the Dubs or Proraso when I reorder. I also use Brother's Love, which is clear and dries vary hard with rock solid hold. I don't like it for the entire stache but it works great for the problem areas.

Lookin' good. I am not a 'stache guy, so I can't give any advice. Just wanted to compliment you on the progress so far.

That is coming along great!

As for the hold on the parts that want to droop, I am a lucky one and don't really run into that issue. I do wonder if it's not a question of which product, but more of method of application? The first application I use of my wax I make sure to get it on the underside, above the upper lip, so it gets hold up into that area. If that's not easy to do with the stuff you are using, maybe one of the really soft waxes like Dubs cream or the Proraso mustache wax will help in applying it to the underside, so you get some better hold in that area.

Well done!
I have been working this along myself and having survived the droops, cookie dusting phase and a cigar lighting incident- I am about 3/4 grown out to the ends now.

For right now you need to basically "stick" the short hairs together. When long enough you can grab it by the ends and concentrate your wax there. The process gets much easier as the hairs get longer.

The choices of wax are infinite- I have been using Lockharts and Mr Natty both are harder and hold much better than some of the softer waxes. Both need some help getting soft, I use a blow dryer and concentrate on getting the wax on my thumbs. I work the wax into the bottom of my stach moving the shorties up and out. I use a pea size amount over a couple of applications. As the hairs have grown, I am using less and less to accomplish this.

Hope this helps.

I will work on getting more on the underside to see what happens, may also get a softer wax to use there as it may be easier to work with.

three or four different waxes to do this...
$16805719941_31c781f8cf_m(1).jpg
beardology (very soft and pliable), then man's face stuff (stiffer, but still relatively pliable), then Lockharts (stiffer and less pliable). applied one after the other and repeatedly.

this can be a lot of hard work.
$16747359341_f54a1a3f7c_m.jpg

Last edited:
How does Firehouse Wacky Tacky compare to Lockharts or Mr. Natty? I know this is YMMV, but have we found a wax that will hold the most stubborn tips/ trouble areas? I'm thinking of getting Canyouhandlebar's two set wax. I'll probably order later today, so If anyone can chime in how it compares to Firehouse Wacky Tacky, I guess I'll take one for the team.

Wacky tacky is easier to apply but does not hold as firmly or as long compared to the other two I mentioned. I have not tried "Canyouhandlebar's two set wax" so I cannot compare them.

Thanks, Jim. The price seems right, I'll just get all three... eventually. Which held firmer in the heat, Lockharts or Mr. Natty?

Top Bottom