What's new

Half strokes question.

Could you use the half strokes method that are used with a coti on other honing stones, for example, could i take my niwania and mix up a bit of slurry and do half strokes to get a bevel set, then water down with half strokes etc, or does this only work on a coti?

Could you use the half strokes method that are used with a coti on other honing stones, for example, could i take my niwania and mix up a bit of slurry and do half strokes to get a bevel set, then water down with half strokes etc, or does this only work on a coti?

You sure canuse half-strokes!

The thing you have to watch is pressure. Coticule allows some pressure to be applied, but on synthetics it's easy to microship a razor if you are using pressure.
On the other hand, if you set a bevel on a 1K Nani, it will cut pretty fast with only light strokes, especially if you use a slurry.

Watering down doesn't work.
The grit is constant on a synthetic.
Slurry makes it cut faster, but the grit will remain the same.
That is why you need a range of synthetics ( like 1,3 5, 8 , 10 or similar)but only one coti.

You can "max" a hone somewhat, but never make it perform like a coticule.
Say you first use slurry with some pressure, then water with some pressure (light)
The you lap the hone & use feather light strokes. Now you've taken it somewhat further then using only one kind of stroke, but only a little.

Last edited:
You sure canuse half-strokes!

The thing you have to watch is pressure. Coticule allows some pressure to be applied, but on synthetics it's easy to microship a razor if you are using pressure.
On the other hand, if you set a bevel on a 1K Nani, it will cut pretty fast with only light strokes, especially if you use a slurry.

Watering down doesn't work.
The grit is constant on a synthetic.
Slurry makes it cut faster, but the grit will remain the same.
That is why you need a range of synthetics ( like 1,3 5, 8 , 10 or similar)but only one coti.

You can "max" a hone somewhat, but never make it perform like a coticule.
Say you first use slurry with some pressure, then water with some pressure (light)
The you lap the hone & use feather light strokes. Now you've taken it somewhat further then using only one kind of stroke, but only a little.

Thanks honed, sinse i got my coti its all i have used, got a bit lazy really, whereas before its a progression, from my diamonds, nani, dt, ch12k etc, now its usually just a coti, unless some serious work is needed, so i thought i would go back to my other stones on my next few hones and then started thinking about trying the half stroke method on these stones.

Thanks honed, sinse i got my coti its all i have used, got a bit lazy really, whereas before its a progression, from my diamonds, nani, dt, ch12k etc, now its usually just a coti, unless some serious work is needed, so i thought i would go back to my other stones on my next few hones and then started thinking about trying the half stroke method on these stones.

If you are like me, you go back to them, get frustrated from the lack of feedback & constant need to clean off accumulated swarf & eventually end the night with feelings of guilt & loathing...
:lol:

And then the next day, you're coticule is out & you feel good again :thumbup1:

Seriously, try them out. All stones changes depending on how far you've come down the learning road.
I've had pretty good results with the Nani 1K with slurry produced by the coticule slurry stone. Sets a bevel fast without needing to use the DMT.
And the scratches looks far less aggressive under magnification then DMT or 1K with 1K slurry IMO.

Also, the 10K is very nice to get that extra keeness after dilucot, before water only finish.

I essentially use a dilucot method on my escher after the coti using half strokes and then finish with regular x-strokes on water. Just seemed to work the best for me and didn't see anything wrong with it, though I may be in the minority on this one.

Now that I'm on the habit, I tend to use alot of half-strokes, regardless of the stone I'm using. It's just become natural and it seems like it's really quite effective; fast and really stable, especialy with the finger on the blade.

Top Bottom