What's new

Half-face Shave-off

Howdy!

I’m relatively new here, but started wet-shaving about a year ago when I inherited some DE razors. Technique is “still under construction”, but I’m determined. After reading many threads here, I bought a Merkur Progress, as I thought it would replicate my inherited “1966 Slim”. Figured if I lost it to TSA, no harm done.

Away from home, I shaved with my travel “kit”, which also included a 1960’s Gillette Tech along with the Merkur. Brand new blade in the Merkur. Wilkinson Sword. Merkur set to 1.5 or so, something less than 2.

I used a one-shave-only Astra blade in the Tech.

Shaved one half of my face, three passes WTG with the Merkur. Weeper. Shaved two passes with the Tech WTG, no weepers. Got close to a BBS shave on both sides.

Though I’ll admit I’m no good at this wet-shaving compared to others here, do Wilkinson Sword blades just suck? Or is it me and my equipment?

Most Respectfully,

Curly
6302778C-9CFE-4D89-BEB0-CDE365A7D576.jpeg

Switch sides next time.... I tend to shave better one side. I use the same brand blade when comparing. I like the progress, 3-5 for me. Tech and similar razors I have to do 3 passes, w a Progress: 2 is enough one with one against. For some reason Feather seems to bring the best out of the Progress..... (otherwise I do not use those blades much, as after the 3rd use I get weepers).

Everyone is different, but I really like Wilkinson Sword (German) blades. Good suggestion above about changing sides next time...could make a difference. Jack that Progress up to about 3 and it will start shaving pretty close.

No to your first question and probably to the second.
Thanks HoosierTrooper! I suspected as much. And I am learning different razors shave differently, as do blades when paired with different razors. It’s been quite the experience thus far. Still beats disposables even in my worst DE shave day!

Switch sides next time.... I tend to shave better one side. I use the same brand blade when comparing. I like the progress, 3-5 for me. Tech and similar razors I have to do 3 passes, w a Progress: 2 is enough one with one against. For some reason Feather seems to bring the best out of the Progress..... (otherwise I do not use those blades much, as after the 3rd use I get weepers).
Thank you very much, Filudo! I’ll try that! Much appreciated.

Curly

Everyone is different, but I really like Wilkinson Sword (German) blades. Good suggestion above about changing sides next time...could make a difference. Jack that Progress up to about 3 and it will start shaving pretty close.
Thanks gdawg55! I’ll give that a try also. So nice to engage folks so polite, helpful, and experienced.

Most Sincerely,

Curly

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
I have begun to hate A/B (Half-Face) shaveoffs. No offense intended to the OP. The reason I hate them if you don't use the same razor with only changing the blade or the soap, there is to much technique bias.

If I A/B razors, I can always get a better shave with A on it's own and B on it's own than with A and B on either half of my face. I fully understand this my be my special inability.

However, to @Curly Straight please try using razor A on it's own and razor B on it's own, using the same blade or at least same brand of blade with same mileage and same soap. You may get the same results, or if you are like me, one razor may come out ahead of the other, but both shaves are better than you got on the A/B day.

I have begun to hate A/B (Half-Face) shaveoffs. No offense intended to the OP. The reason I hate them if you don't use the same razor with only changing the blade or the soap, there is to much technique bias.

If I A/B razors, I can always get a better shave with A on it's own and B on it's own than with A and B on either half of my face. I fully understand this my be my special inability.

However, to @Curly Straight please try using razor A on it's own and razor B on it's own, using the same blade or at least same brand of blade with same mileage and same soap. You may get the same results, or if you are like me, one razor may come out ahead of the other, but both shaves are better than you got on the A/B day.
Thanks, Chandu. Makes sense! The process of discovering which razor I like best continues to lengthen as I change razors, experiment with different blades, change creams or soaps. I suspect I’ll be very close to the perfect combination about three days after they bury me. Just hope my wife doesn’t sell my razors for what I told her I paid for them.

Curly

If you shave using a blade and don't like it ; don't use them (as long as there are some you like!).
I would say in my case, I like 50% of the blades and don't the other....; and the razor is the same and technique (good or bad) is the same.... .

My 2 cents, use blades you like, most are cheap...

Yeah, I always shave the right side of my face better than the left. So I am doing a test of two razors, alternating razors each day, but keeping everything else constant (same blade brand, 4 shaves per blade, same prep and soap each day). I plan to do this for a few weeks before I draw and conclusions.

Can you keep all but one thing the same? E.g. just change the blade if that is what you want to test in your case?

I‘ve found technique tromps the blade every time with DE shaving. Of course the blade needs to sharp, but all the blades I’ve ever used were plenty sharp out of the package.

If you shave using a blade and don't like it ; don't use them (as long as there are some you like!).
I would say in my case, I like 50% of the blades and don't the other....; and the razor is the same and technique (good or bad) is the same.... .

My 2 cents, use blades you like, most are cheap...

Yeah, I always shave the right side of my face better than the left. So I am doing a test of two razors, alternating razors each day, but keeping everything else constant (same blade brand, 4 shaves per blade, same prep and soap each day). I plan to do this for a few weeks before I draw and conclusions.

Can you keep all but one thing the same? E.g. just change the blade if that is what you want to test in your case?

Thanks Y’all! I sincerely appreciate your input. I think I’ve gone too far down the rabbit hole of trying to find the perfect blade/razor combination in search of my Excalibur razor.

Through the knowledge shared here at B&B, the bottom line appears to be “Each face is different” and as FarmerTan states, “Blades are weird. What you love someone else is liable to hate. You and someone else are both wrong and both right”.

My face and technique appear to prefer Astra’s in most of the razors I’ve tried. And lately PolSilvers have trumped Astras in at least three razors. Sadly, PolSilvers are no longer cheap or easy to get.

Thanks again! Happy Shaving!

Curly

Yes.

If you are doing a head-to-head, apples-to-apples shave-off, you can only change one variable, otherwise the conclusion is flawed. Same blade brand and age (usage), same soap or cream, same prep, with the only difference being the use of a different blade holder (razor) on each half of your face.

If you want to compare blades, only change the blade...soap...soap...cream....cream...etc.

Only then are you comparing any difference in two razors, blades, soaps, or creams. Of course there will still be variables like dominant vs off hand. So it is still questionable....

...but fun, I guess.

Welcome to B&B @Curly Straight - blades as as YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) as it gets. Based on your gear my 5cts would be to use the Tech to hone your skills and dial in your technique. And only then progress (pun intended). Shaving consecutively with the same razor (and preferrably the same blade and soap) gives you more insights into workings, angles, type of strokes, et cetera.

Enjoy your shaves!

Guido.

Welcome to B&B @Curly Straight - blades as as YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) as it gets. Based on your gear my 5cts would be to use the Tech to hone your skills and dial in your technique. And only then progress (pun intended). Shaving consecutively with the same razor (and preferrably the same blade and soap) gives you more insights into workings, angles, type of strokes, et cetera.

Enjoy your shaves!

Guido.
Thanks Guido! I’m doing exactly that. Happy Shaves to you!

Curly

Top Bottom