What's new

Haircuts

I decided that when I was paying the barber $16 plus tip to run a #3 guard over my head, that I'd just as soon go out and buy a $30 clipper set and do it myself. Takes about 5 minutes for me to run the clippers over my head and then another 3 or 4 for the wife to do touchups around the ears and neck.

Paid for itself after 2 haircuts, and now I can do it every two weeks and keep it looking nice rather than going every 4 or 5 before I went to the barber. More money to support my new hobby, too.

I used to have hair down to the middle of my back. Obviously, then, I didn't pay for a hair cut. Then I had to go and get all "respectable" and so I started paying around $11 every couple of months. When I got tired of that outlay, I went and bought a $20 set of clippers and had the wife do the honors. That lasted for a while, until I got the bright idea to shave the ol' gulliver. $12 for a Headblade, and $4 for some knock-off atra blades every few months... a few dollars for headslick... a few more for headlube... oh, that's a nice brush!... hmmm, how would this cream do?... Ooh, I've never tried that before... Hey, I need a bowl for that... uhmm... carry the 1, divide by 3... multiply by 7 head-shaves a week... grand total:

About $50 :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I shave my bean every night. I figure I'm spending far less than the $11 I could spend monthly on a haircut, but I'm spending more than the cost of the electricity to trim it once per. I'd really rather not do the actual math.

$4.00.....$8.00 with tip. old school barber, good cut, pleasant conversation. Not real fast, but you don't want to rush a haircut, anyway. Just like a weekend shave.

Ten bucks with tip. Speaking of tips, here is one: If you go to a barbershop that has two barbers, always choose the one with the worse haircut to cut yours.

I went to salons (the product of tagging along with my grandmother/mother to get a haircut) until I got old enough to drive, then went to barber shops. In college I started going to the barber shop in the old campus hotel (now a dorm) and got the deluxe treatment for $12. I'm still a customer there.

I go in, sit & wait a minute, then have "my" barber (my preferred guy, unless I'm in a hurry, in which case I'll take the first empty chair) proceed to prepping & cutting without any word of direction from me. He knows what I want. After the cut, he wet-shaves my neck and around my ears, not using the Aqua Velva because he knows I'm allergic to that stuff. Then he gives me my glasses, takes my money, and we sit (if the shop isn't busy) in the waiting chairs for a few minutes and talk about whatever we got started on while I was in the chair.

I'll pay top-dollar for that experience and the lasting, solid haircut I get along with it...but $12 base and a $3 tip is pretty good too.

I go to a local babrshop in town. He charges $12 for the cut and I generally tip him between $3 to $4. Generally the owner cuts my hair. I just in the chair and away he goes.

For the last seven years my wife has been doing it. Last time I paid for one it was around $15. I used to go to an old barber that was ex-RAAF but he retired. He was old school which was nice.

I was going to the same guy since my very first haircut (23 years ago) until a few months ago. Now I'm going to a friend that charges me $10 + $10 tip. I figure she usually charges $40 so why not, and she does a great job.

I used to have hair down to the middle of my back. Obviously, then, I didn't pay for a hair cut. Then I had to go and get all "respectable" and so I started paying around $11 every couple of months. When I got tired of that outlay, I went and bought a $20 set of clippers and had the wife do the honors. That lasted for a while, until I got the bright idea to shave the ol' gulliver. $12 for a Headblade, and $4 for some knock-off atra blades every few months... a few dollars for headslick... a few more for headlube... oh, that's a nice brush!... hmmm, how would this cream do?... Ooh, I've never tried that before... Hey, I need a bowl for that... uhmm... carry the 1, divide by 3... multiply by 7 head-shaves a week... grand total:

About $50 :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I shave my bean every night. I figure I'm spending far less than the $11 I could spend monthly on a haircut, but I'm spending more than the cost of the electricity to trim it once per. I'd really rather not do the actual math.

Now there's a story: you went from hair halfway down your back to bald. Talk about a dramatic difference!

A high and tight flat-top is $8.50 at the Great Lakes Navy Base PX. That and a couple bucks tip isn't too bad. Of course you have to get one every week in my business or you start to look like a damn hippy. :wink2:

Tom

Now there's a story: you went from hair halfway down your back to bald. Talk about a dramatic difference!

Yeah, it's weird... the business world frowns on one extreme, but they don't mind the other. I've gotten several compliments since I chromed my dome. People don't think twice about it if you shave your head, but man, let that hair touch the collar and you won't know what it's like to go shopping without store detectives following you. I'll never forget the first time I cut off my ponytail, I felt so lonely when I went to the store.

Floyd's 99 in the Denver area is a combination of traditional and modern. Very interesting mixture which I have come to enjoy. $19 + tip for a hair cut which includes a hot lather neck shave, complete with Clubman talc, and a nice shoulder massage. They have certified barbers for the occasion you need a shave which I haven't tried yet. The music is sometime a bit loud but the scenery is nice. :wink:

$11 plus $4 tip ($15 is just easier). Get it done every 4 to 6 weeks. The barber has a dry, wry sense of humor that I enjoy. Took about 15 years to get a word out of him other than "do you want it like usual" and "see you next time". I've gone to him for about 30 years, now we have pretty entertaining conversation. His best was "I let a navy recruiter talk me into joining to 'see the world, and learn a useful trade'. They sent me to the Great Lakes where I froze my *** off learning how to operate a steam catapult on aircraft carriers".

I pay $15, but the person I go to is so popular it's hard to get in. So I've been wandering around, trying to find a good alternative. Wish I had the guts to cut it myself...then I could keep it at a good length and not put off the haircuts.

Top Bottom