What's new

Hair Conditioner As Shave Lube?

While prepping for my head shave, I discovered that I forgot the Arko in another room. What's in the bathroom already that I can use?
It came down to my body wash, or my conditioner. I chose the coconut oil hair conditioner since it's only a dollar and I can use the excess in my beard.
I got a pretty good shave, and the conditioner didn't leave a film or residue.

I'm going to try this a few more times before I replace anything, but it's definitely slicker than canned Barbasol.

I've used hotel-room conditioner and a disposable Bic in a pinch, but it was not a good experience.

I have done this on business trips in a pinch. Worked okay with a cart. Would always choose shaving soap or cream if available.

This post has made me reconsider using conditioner on my brushes

https://www.reddit.com/r/Wetshaving/comments/ehczne
When I first joined B&B, I bookmarked this old thread that discusses many of the same things mentioned in that Reddit post: Thoughts on using hair conditioner for brushes

As noted in that thread, conditioner can leave a film that makes a brush less effective at making lather. It may also repair the split ends of a boar brush. That's the reverse of what you want.

I use various cleaning products (many of which are present in commercial shaving brush cleaners) to ensure that my brushes don't have any residues or films clogging the hairs/fibres. I listed them in my thread about cleaning an extremely funky badger brush.

Top Bottom