What's new

Guide to American Button Company Pocket Edition Sets: Part One - Razors

Okay, let me add to your confusion and Toby's.

I have this Gillette Pocket Edition. The pristine condition of this set convinces me that all of it's pieces are original to the set. So either Gillette made ABC type handles or used ABC handles on their own sets.

View attachment 779451
View attachment 779452 View attachment 779453

Vicki, to your question about how long Gillette made...
This set contains a Gillette Ball End New from around 1930 so... :confused1

View attachment 779455 View attachment 779456

Your first one is a 1911 ABC, the second one may have had the head replaced by someone, unless you have historical information on Scandinavia Belting that says otherwise.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
Your first one is a 1911 ABC, the second one may have had the head replaced by someone, unless you have historical information on Scandinavia Belting that says otherwise.

I knew that the first one was an ABC razor in a Gillette case. I guess I was clumsy in trying to point out that Gillette freely put ABC razors in their own cases and probably wouldn't hesitate to use a spare ABC handle with their own razor head.

You are very probably right about the Scandinavia Belting Company. A quick google search seems to indicate that they only went by that name from 1911-1925. British Belting and Asbestos - Graces Guide

Okay, let me add to your confusion and Toby's.

I have this Gillette Pocket Edition. The pristine condition of this set convinces me that all of it's pieces are original to the set. So either Gillette made ABC type handles or used ABC handles on their own sets.

View attachment 779451
View attachment 779452 View attachment 779453

Vicki, to your question about how long Gillette made...
This set contains a Gillette Ball End New from around 1930 so... :confused1

View attachment 779455 View attachment 779456

Connie,

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your WONDERFUL collection sets. They are very nice, indeed!
I feel like I am starting to get a handle on this ... a lot more now?!

Blessings,

Vicki

Thanks to everyone else who also contributed and shared their photos and information with all of us.

I also posted on the "DE AQUISITION THREAD" and others may find this REPLY informative, as well:

After taking over the Pocket Edition production from the American Button Company, Gillette had a long transition period. The Gillette Made Pocket Edition Sets first began production during the transitional years of 1916, 1917, and 1918, even possibly as early as 1915, when Gillette depleted what remained of the A.B.C. inventories, and mixed it with newer Gillette production, most notably, the Ball End Razor, which was introduced in its wartime sets. Gillette and ABC both appear to have manufactured their razor components for inventory, rather than for immediate use in production. As a result, it was not uncommon for large amounts of older parts to be consumed in newer model sets for long periods of time before the “proper” sets appeared, rather than hybrids. Or, as in this case, proper ABC sets made by Gillette from leftover parts.

It is my belief that Gillette continued to manufacture the Pocket Edition sets until early 1921.

R

romsitsa

Hello,

sorry for not responding anyone, I was away from keyboard.

Here is another strange one:
Pocket edition flower pattern case (the pattern is different from ABC design) with matching liner and smooth blade bank would date it post ABC manufacture.
Handle and base plate look like legit ABC products, but the base plate has no markings.
Top cap is thick and has the long studs, like post 1921 Ball ends.

Is this a frankenrazor and set? Or did Gillette use old ABC stocks with new parts in the 20ies when they ceased date coding old types?

Vintage Gillette Flower ABC Pocket Edition Razor & Case - Beautiful condition | eBay

Adam

proxy.php

The Type ‘A’ Flower Pattern Case

The Type ‘A’ Flower Pattern Case was used by the American Button Company for the sets produced by them for Gillette. It should not be confused with the Type ‘B’ Flower Pattern Case which was used by Gillette after they began manufacturing the Pocket Edition sets.

proxy.php

The Type ‘B’ Flower Pattern Case

The later, Gillette produced Type ‘B’ Flower Pattern Case was redesigned with a border of roses, while the earlier Type ‘A’ case has a border of lilies. Because Gillette consumed the remaining case inventory produced by the American Button Company in the later sets of their manufacture, it is not known exactly when the Type B case began use by them.

From roughly 1917 (I assume the time of the ABC fire) Gillette used many leftover ABC components, and mixed them with their own. I do not know if this would qualify as a frankenrazor, as it was done by Gillette -- also, a point of curiosity to me is if complete and proper A.B.C. sets, that were put together by Gillette would be classified as "proper" A.B.C. sets.....

Cheers,
Kevin

Hello,

sorry for not responding anyone, I was away from keyboard.

Here is another strange one:
Pocket edition flower pattern case (the pattern is different from ABC design) with matching liner and smooth blade bank would date it post ABC manufacture.
Handle and base plate look like legit ABC products, but the base plate has no markings.
Top cap is thick and has the long studs, like post 1921 Ball ends.

Is this a frankenrazor and set? Or did Gillette use old ABC stocks with new parts in the 20ies when they ceased date coding old types?

Vintage Gillette Flower ABC Pocket Edition Razor & Case - Beautiful condition | eBay

Adam

The plating on the razor is much better than the plating in the blade bank, the baseplate looks to be thin. My guess is, the razor has a non-original cap, and the whole razor has been replated. User assembled set.

I just noted this in the listing.

"Recently professionally replated by Chris at Razorplate.com. Chris has a well-deserved reputation for the highest quality work."

R

romsitsa

Hello Toby,

it lacks the date code, this would be the first ABC without one. Or the base plate and handle were lying around, until in 1921 a No. 503 was assembled...

Adam

Is this a mismatch set? The razor is made in Canada and looks like it might be a hollow handle version.

It was on auction last weekend and now I'm having a little bit of 'why didn't I bid higher to win the auction' regret :(

170403154453_20170403_152210 - Copy.jpg

170403154614_20170403_152355 - Copy.jpg

It's difficult to say since there were some ABC type sets that were sold with ball-end Old Type razors in them, I've seen an old magazine ad or two like that.

How many rivets are on the front of the case? This will answer
your question. Gillette actually put Ball End razors in A.B.C. cases,
as well as their own post 1917 versions of the ABC cases (fat cases).....
Cheers,
Kevin

R

romsitsa

It's a matching set, Canadian Empire cases had slightly different motifs from the ABC ones.

Adam

Thx for the info. I don't see any rivets on the case from the photo. On the other thread detailing the cases there is a post with the same case and apparently it's the US version / made one. The razor in the other thread is slightly different though.
Guide to American Button Company Pocket Edition Sets: Part Two - Cases

Upon closer inspection of the one I missed I see it has a slightly bent tooth or two, so maybe it's a good thing I didn't bid higher. I do find the empire case very droolworthy for some reason.

Last edited:
The rivetless variation of the Flower pattern case was the last version produced by Gillette.
It appears to have first been used in the early1920's, and lasted until the late 1920's.
The Basket Pattern version lasted until the mid-1930's, and was used in the 501 Special sets.

Cheers,
Kevin

This was handed down to me from my mother after my grandmother passed on. I thought it was a 1921-29, which is incorrect, I'm still learning. I would imagine this razor lived most of its life in a sock drawer or alike. Is there a way to find out when it was manufactured? I added a pic of the serial number.

Think it may have been used once or twice, outline of razor and one is missing from the case. I've never cleaned it, I collect coins, so the mindset of letting it age gracefully on its own suits me. It sits in a antique hutch along with other family heirlooms. Thanks for any help.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom