What's new

Grooming Dept club

I have MANY, not going to count, GD soaps and I have not noticed any noticeable shrinkage of the product (unless the lid is left off for many consecutive days! One of, if not the best, soap bases out there IMO.

The only GD soap that shrunk for me was Dapper Mallard. When GD learned of this he sent me another puck of soap, a sample of GD pre-shave, and other goodies without my asking or requesting anything. I have five other GD soaps and no others have shrunk.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Must be something I’m doing wrong. I have 4 of Mo’s soaps and each one has shrunk away to some degree from the outer edge of the container. I like his soaps; but to quote Seinfeld, mine are shrinking ‘like a frightened turtle.’

Attachments

• CE2A6D61-248E-43E6-BD14-4192DC68898F.jpeg
    CE2A6D61-248E-43E6-BD14-4192DC68898F.jpeg
    1,008.1 KB · Views: 36
  • CF575225-847D-4490-805E-804567FE7F45.jpeg
    CF575225-847D-4490-805E-804567FE7F45.jpeg
    984.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 58C96ABB-E832-4787-821B-6249E3B231F2.jpeg
    58C96ABB-E832-4787-821B-6249E3B231F2.jpeg
    963.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 75BFB600-0D15-4807-9E70-2D3766F8E77D.jpeg
    75BFB600-0D15-4807-9E70-2D3766F8E77D.jpeg
    960 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 33

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My Grooming Dept soaps mostly shrink some but I leave the top off after shaving. Either the next morning or the night after a morning shave I put the lid on.

This is not a problem for me.

I've had other soaps do the same thing (not all other soaps).

Happy shaves,

Jim

I find that some of my soaps shrink if I have not used them in a while. For example, I recently started using a jar of Tabac after a four-month absence. When I opened the jar it had shrunk away from the sides and rolled a bit in the jar. However, after two uses it is fine again. The same thing has happened to me with MWF, and an AoS tallow soap. I think it may be the liquid part of the soap begins to evaporate and that causes the shrinkage. However, when you use the soap again liquid is added back to the soap and it expands.

GD is the best soap I've ever used. I think they are worthy of the hype. Slickness is really second to none. Other great ones are SV, WK, and B&M excelsior, but GD takes the crown. I also noticed he uses aloe vera juice instead of water. Haven't seen anyone else do that.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
So i had to see what all the hype was about. And I’ve had 5 beers. So I ordered the Asinus - Unscented DonkeyBase-Lamb Tallow, Duck Fat and Donkey Milk Shaving Soap. Good golly that’s a mouthful.

Donkey milk...duck fat....tallow. In a shave soap. I remember a few folks thinking I was crazy for using a double edge razor when I first started. Imagine when I tell them I’m using a soap made with donkey milk and duck fat.

I have also noticed that the GD soaps are shipped out with slightly more than 4 ounces. Mohammad once told me they usually have around 4.25-4.35 ounces approximately when shipped.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I'm good on soaps, but getting a bit low on the Preshave. Not that I'll run out in the next month probably. Maybe two months because I also have a small sample sized Preshave Mo sent me for some reason. Still, I'm low enough to wonder when the Preshave will be available again.

Serum.Preshave.GroomingDept.480.Mine.2-26-19.JPG

It's not just the soaps that are great.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I'm good on soaps, but getting a bit low on the Preshave. Not that I'll run out in the next month probably. Maybe two months because I also have a small sample sized Preshave Mo sent me for some reason. Still, I'm low enough to wonder when the Preshave will be available again.

View attachment 999688

It's not just the soaps that are great.

Happy shaves,

Jim
On GD website it says there will be a new preshave scents & enhanced formula drop at 11 am PST tomorrow 7/18. You are in luck!

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
On GD website it says there will be a new preshave scents & enhanced formula drop at 11 am PST tomorrow 7/18. You are in luck!

Thanks. I missed the home page and that news.

How could the Preshave formula improve? If it weren't Mo saying this I'd be skeptical, but he seems to improve everything over time.

Happy shaves,

Jim

How could the Preshave formula improve? If it weren't Mo saying this I'd be skeptical, but he seems to improve everything over time.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Started using the Pre-shave about 2 weeks ago and am impressed. I used a normal oil pre-shave before that and it was OK, but very expensive for what I got. This stuff is an amazing value.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The latest addition to the preshave is Konjac Root extract. It’s a natural extract from the Konjac tuber plant. It impart a gel like feel and a polymer like sensation. It’s a fantastic alternative to Carbomer and Polyquaternium type of ingredients used by many products to give a slippery feel. Konjac Root increases the glide the preshave affords. Konjac Root extract is rich in protein, lipids, fatty acids, vitamins A, B, C, D, & E, and natural minerals such as copper, zinc and magnesium. Konjac root extract is also part Janus Tallow and Janus Vegan Shaving soaps.

Grooming Dept Moisturizing Preshave as the name implies, does rapidly softens the facial hair and the skin at the same time. There are specific ingredients in the preshave which hold water close to the skin too. Konjac Root increases water retention by about 15% compared to the previous iteration of the preshave. The moisture retention increases the hydration of ones lather too, which in turn, makes any soaps lather denser and slicker.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The latest addition to the preshave is Konjac Root extract. It’s a natural extract from the Konjac tuber plant. It impart a gel like feel and a polymer like sensation. It’s a fantastic alternative to Carbomer and Polyquaternium type of ingredients used by many products to give a slippery feel. Konjac Root increases the glide the preshave affords. Konjac Root extract is rich in protein, lipids, fatty acids, vitamins A, B, C, D, & E, and natural minerals such as copper, zinc and magnesium. Konjac root extract is also part Janus Tallow and Janus Vegan Shaving soaps.

Grooming Dept Moisturizing Preshave as the name implies, does rapidly softens the facial hair and the skin at the same time. There are specific ingredients in the preshave which hold water close to the skin too. Konjac Root increases water retention by about 15% compared to the previous iteration of the preshave. The moisture retention increases the hydration of ones lather too, which in turn, makes any soaps lather denser and slicker.

Wow!

...Grooming Dept Moisturizing Preshave as the name implies, does rapidly softens the facial hair and the skin at the same time. There are specific ingredients in the preshave which hold water close to the skin too. Konjac Root increases water retention by about 15% compared to the previous iteration of the preshave. The moisture retention increases the hydration of ones lather too, which in turn, makes any soaps lather denser and slicker.

I'll need to see a peer reviewed scientific article verifying this rather than the word of a layman.

Top Bottom