What's new

Grooming Dept club

I'm almost finished with my first tub of Grooming Dept Moisturizing Pre-shave - Unscented.
I was looking to buy another tub.
But, alas, they're all sold out 🤷‍♂️ What to do?
I was looking at Spa, Rainforest, and Unscented + Synthetic Cooling Agents.
Any suggestions?
BTW, I have sensitive skin and prefer mild, aquatic scents (if unscented is unavailable).
Thanks!

Those who are fortunate enough to receive their GD soaps from the last release, please share your thoughts on the scents so that the rest of us would have a better idea of what to choose once they become available at other retailers. I know ItalianBarber would carry all the soaps from the last release in a few weeks.

Omnia and Ousia, release a couple of months ago or earlier, were a class of their own scent-wise in the world of artisan soap making. Mohammad really nailed it!

mrlandpirate

Got lucky with dead badgers
429.png430.png
mine arrived tonight , can't wait till morning. They smell great

View attachment 1499540View attachment 1499541
mine arrived tonight , can't wait till morning. They smell great
I had my first shave tonight with Sandalwood Nobile. I agree it smells great. It's really strongly scented, although it may settle down after a few uses. The performance is as good as it gets. Very slick with plenty of residual slickness. No penalty for going over the same spot multiple times. I also love the post-shave feel of this stuff.

2022-08-06N sotd.jpeg

Tobacco Oud, English Lavender, and La Rosa Profunda arrived on Friday. The Tobacco Oud that you see in the photo was first at bat, and it delivered a splendid shave! The performance was superb, and the scent was a pleasant companion throughout. The end result was a bloodless BBS and comfortable skin. -- It doesn't get any better than that.

Tell us about your razor, @HighSpeedSpoon.

Does it use Feather AC blades? I think I read about this razor not too long ago.
The razor is the Essence by Tedalus, and I cannot say enough good words about it. Over many years, I have gone through an embarrassing number of shavettes - including more or less pricey ones from Feather, Kai, Weck, and IBC - and nothing comes close to shaving as well as the Essence shaves. The the spine is the narrowest I've seen, the balance is perfect, the double jimps are deeply cut, the magnetically secured face and back facilitate easy blade loading/unloading, and the blade is surprisingly easy to control and manipulate. If I had to pick one design point, it would be the narrow spine, which allows the blade to cut at a very shallow angle, similar to a straight razor. However, the other factors are important too. And to answer your question @Frank Shaves, the razor accepts AC format, Schick format, and half DE blades. There are youTube videos that demonstrate the process.

The one downside is the price, but FWIW I bought the Essence after resisting for almost a year, and my only regret is that I did not buy it sooner. IMO it delivers as close a shavette shave as you can get, but with greater ease and way more fun than any of the one dozen plus other shavettes I have owned.

And it doesn't hurt that it looks so good either.

Brush: DG B14 26mm w/ Rudy Vey Ivory handle, for a total cost of $224.00 I definitely would rather have this brush than a Varlet at $500.00, to me the difference in price is not worth the step up in quality of the knot. If Varlet would offer a knotting service I would get one in a minute.

Blade: Perma-Sharp (3) perfect balance of sharpness and smoothness

Soap: Grooming Department Diamond Dust Kairos this is a very good soap.

Razor: Ti Blackbird Machined, then polished with Flitz, I really like the Machined with a little shine, the actual Blackbird SR-71 is flat black.

Post Shave: Ethos Unscented Skin Food Splash 💦

EEF01C52-8515-4E1E-9080-547C9F65F4DF.jpeg

Doug

FYI, Pasteur’s has just put up a bunch of GD soaps from Mohammed’s last release. I purchased some English Lavender and Sandalwood Nobile. GD is my favorite artisan soap.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I'm almost finished with my first tub of Grooming Dept Moisturizing Pre-shave - Unscented.
I was looking to buy another tub.
But, alas, they're all sold out 🤷‍♂️ What to do?
I was looking at Spa, Rainforest, and Unscented + Synthetic Cooling Agents.
Any suggestions?
BTW, I have sensitive skin and prefer mild, aquatic scents (if unscented is unavailable).
Thanks!
The other two pre-shaves that work for me are the Baume.be and PAA Cube and Tube 2.0 in non-mentholated. The Baume.be has a very light scent and the PAA products are unscented. I have a lot of skin issues so perhaps they would work for you.

I snagged up a tub of Tobacco Oud today. Been seeing these get a lot of praise and excited to try my first! Tobacco Oud peaked my interest from the first time I saw the scent profile. Will report back. And might grab more..

Top Bottom