What's new

Grooming Dept club

I have tried many Grooming Department soaps but currently have none in my collection as I found the scents way too strong for my personal taste. I was intrigued by the discussions of his pre shave product and was lucky enough to land a jar of unscented product on its initial release.

I have been using the product daily for the past two weeks. Honestly I initially noticed no significant improvement in my shave besides post shave feel. As mentioned by others on this thread there is no need for post shave balms after using this product even in the cold, windy, Midwest. I have also found that the pre shave has made some of my second tier soaps perform better by eliminating their post shave dryness.

I have been experimenting with amount of pre shave applied and have come to the realization that I may not have been using enough product initially. My last few shaves I have increased the amount of product used and have found myself checking to make sure I actually have a blade in my razor as it glides effortlessly over my skin. Now that I seem to have dialed in the amount of product to use I am interested to see if I notice any improvement with my straight razor shaves which are undoubtedly affected by my technique.

Very good and honest write up. As I’ve stated myself here, the preshave does give a nice boost in providing an extra bit of glide and slickness for the razor. I’ve found that the blade moves across the skin almost effortlessly when using it in my experience. Razors that were used were from a Greaves & Sons 17/16 Wedge to a Bic Single edge plastic razor with an assortment of other de’s and se’s thrown in as well. The best benefit I’ve gotten out of it has been the skin conditioning results that have come from almost 3 months of use. I’m very satisfied with the results in my personal use of the product. As always is the case with these items, YMMV is The Rule....

Good luck with your straight endeavor.

Has anyone tried adding aloe Vera to their lather? Sounds intriguing to me. On a 2019 sabbatical so I can’t purchase any for that purpose. Going to have to wait for a nice sun burn in the summer [emoji15]

Has anyone tried adding aloe Vera to their lather? Sounds intriguing to me. On a 2019 sabbatical so I can’t purchase any for that purpose. Going to have to wait for a nice sun burn in the summer [emoji15]

Actually, there is Aloe Vera in the GD preshave....

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have tried many Grooming Department soaps...I have been experimenting with amount of pre shave applied and have come to the realization that I may not have been using enough product initially. My last few shaves I have increased the amount of product used and have found myself checking to make sure I actually have a blade in my razor as it glides effortlessly over my skin. Now that I seem to have dialed in the amount of product to use I am interested to see if I notice any improvement with my straight razor shaves which are undoubtedly affected by my technique.

Could you and Gus talk a bit about exactly how you're using the preshave? How much? When? Whatever I need to know...

Very good and honest write up. As I’ve stated myself here, the preshave does give a nice boost in providing an extra bit of glide and slickness for the razor. I’ve found that the blade moves across the skin almost effortlessly when using it in my experience. Razors that were used were from a Greaves & Sons 17/16 Wedge to a Bic Single edge plastic razor with an assortment of other de’s and se’s thrown in as well. The best benefit I’ve gotten out of it has been the skin conditioning results that have come from almost 3 months of use. I’m very satisfied with the results in my personal use of the product. As always is the case with these items, YMMV is The Rule....

Good luck with your straight endeavor.

I have the GD unscented preshave on order and I'm hot to try it. See above...

I've used various preshaves, including Proraso, and various shave oils (including my homemade recipe); all were okay and none were a negative, but none seemed to add anything to the shave or the post shave.

I've heard various things about the GD preshave. Various in the sense that all the reports I've heard have been in the range of neutral to positive to very positive to gushing with praise. The reports from actual users have tended to be stellar.

I've not used the stuff yet.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Could you and Gus talk a bit about exactly how you're using the preshave? How much? When? Whatever I need to know...

I have the GD unscented preshave on order and I'm hot to try it. See above...

I've used various preshaves, including Proraso, and various shave oils (including my homemade recipe); all were okay and none were a negative, but none seemed to add anything to the shave or the post shave.

I've heard various things about the GD preshave. Various in the sense that all the reports I've heard have been in the range of neutral to positive to very positive to gushing with praise. The reports from actual users have tended to be stellar.

I've not used the stuff yet.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I’ve used it in a few different ways. First as a soap booster for building a nice lather with soaps that are not at the top of the list in performance. Of course my list. It adds a bit more slickness and density imo.

I’ve also used it as strictly a preshave cream and moisturizer, pre and post. You can use the product any way you would like. There’s no set rule that it has to be done or used a certain way. There are some basic ways to use the product on Grooming Dept’s preshave product page and how to use....

Good shaves to you.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I’ve used it in a few different ways. First as a soap booster for building a nice lather with soaps that are not at the top of the list in performance. Of course my list. It adds a bit more slickness and density imo.

I’ve also used it as strictly a preshave cream and moisturizer, pre and post. You can use the product any way you would like. There’s no set rule that it has to be done or used a certain way. There are some basic ways to use the product on Grooming Dept’s preshave product page and how to use....

Good shaves to you.

Yes, I know it's all up to me and there are many ways to skin a fish...

I was hoping to find out how you use it and how much you use, to shorten my learning curve. I'll explore the GD website and muddle through (when the stuff arrives).

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

I am a head/face shaver. After a shower I wet my face and place a dab of moisturizer about 1/3 the size of the tip of my index finger and divide that in fourths on my face - both cheeks and both sides of my neck. I then start to rub it into my face for about 1 minute. The stuff forms a slight lather that is visible but it quickly soaks into the skin after you stop agitating. I then repeat the process on my head dividing the moisturizer on each temple and on the top of my head. I then rub it into my scalp.

Prior to face lathering I slightly wet my face or head. In between passes I follow the GD directions and just re wet my face before relathering.

After finishing my shave, I gently wet my face/head and rub any residual soap into my skin. I do not dry my face/head with a towel afterwards

Using this amount of product noticeably improves the slickness of my shave, improves the performance of second tier soaps, and leads to wonderful postshave feel eliminating the need for balms although I still use my favorite AS and EdTs.

Is this more of what you are looking for @Chan Eil Whiskers?

Hope it helps.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I am a head/face shaver. After a shower I wet my face and place a dab of moisturizer about 1/3 the size of the tip of my index finger and divide that in fourths on my face - both cheeks and both sides of my neck. I then start to rub it into my face for about 1 minute. The stuff forms a slight lather that is visible but it quickly soaks into the skin after you stop agitating. I then repeat the process on my head dividing the moisturizer on each temple and on the top of my head. I then rub it into my scalp.

Prior to face lathering I slightly wet my face or head. In between passes I follow the GD directions and just re wet my face before relathering.

After finishing my shave, I gently wet my face/head and rub any residual soap into my skin. I do not dry my face/head with a towel afterwards

Using this amount of product noticeably improves the slickness of my shave, improves the performance of second tier soaps, and leads to wonderful postshave feel eliminating the need for balms although I still use my favorite AS and EdTs.

Is this more of what you are looking for @Chan Eil Whiskers?

Hope it helps.

That is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

Several soaps went on sale this afternoon (no new ones - all restock) and they all seem to still be available. Same with the post-shave serum. My understanding is that the pre-shave goes back on sale on Thursday.

Top Bottom