What's new

Grooming Department's Preshave vs. PAA The Cube?

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I have heard rave reviews of both of these... how do they stack up? Anything comparable?

Also, moderators, feel free to move this post to another place!

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Thanks all. I have actually purchased GD's preshave, and been blown away by its performance. I just wanted to see if The Dube could hold a candle to it - I guess that it can't!

Thanks all!

I have the Cube 2.0, mentholated version, but I have not tried the GD. Prior to the Cube I used Proraso for many years. Overall, the mentholated Cube is a bit much for me. There is menthol and there is MENTHOL. The Cube has MENTHOL so it is a matter of preference.

That aside, I have a bit more irritation after using it than I did with Proraso. I may not be using it properly and probably have tinkering to do. The jury is still out, but it is not a slam dunk win at this point.

I read rave reviews on both of these and want to try them both but unfortunately can’t. The GD pre shave is sold at Italian Barber in Canada but is never in stock and if I order it from the US, it will cost me the same price as a good soap and splash set with exchange and shipping so can’t really justify that. I can easily get the cube but unfortunately one of the ingredients contains almond, which I’m deathly allergic to 😢. I’ve tried Proraso and I don’t really notice a difference with it. Would you folks that like the GD say that it makes a huge difference over other pre shaves or just a bit better then the cube and other pre shaves?

I read rave reviews on both of these and want to try them both but unfortunately can’t. The GD pre shave is sold at Italian Barber in Canada but is never in stock and if I order it from the US, it will cost me the same price as a good soap and splash set with exchange and shipping so can’t really justify that. I can easily get the cube but unfortunately one of the ingredients contains almond, which I’m deathly allergic to 😢. I’ve tried Proraso and I don’t really notice a difference with it. Would you folks that like the GD say that it makes a huge difference over other pre shaves or just a bit better then the cube and other pre shaves?
It’s just a bit better. Definitely not a huge difference.

Late to the party.
I have been using PAA's "The Cube" (mentholated version) and The Grooming Deptartment's pre shave (chamomile and lemon) for a couple of weeks now. Both are excellent products. I give the nod to the Grooming Depts product. The slickness it provides during the shave and it's contribution to post-shave skin feel are 10/10. PAA's "cube" is excellent also, 9/10.

Late to the party.
I have been using PAA's "The Cube" (mentholated version) and The Grooming Deptartment's pre shave (chamomile and lemon) for a couple of weeks now. Both are excellent products. I give the nod to the Grooming Depts product. The slickness it provides during the shave and it's contribution to post-shave skin feel are 10/10. PAA's "cube" is excellent also, 9/10.
Well I'm super late to the party.
But my question to those who have used the GD Preshave, what is ideal dwell time before lathering your face? Of course YMMV, thanks 😊.

Well I'm super late to the party.
But my question to those who have used the GD Preshave, what is ideal dwell time before lathering your face? Of course YMMV, thanks 😊.
I usually apply my soap right after I apply the pre-shave. I moisten my face with water and rub between a pea sized and almond sized dab of the pre-shave onto my face, rubbing it over my face for about 30 seconds. This produces a thin layer of the pre-shave over which I then lather my shaving soap for the day.
I generally face lather directly from the puck or from a bowl or use a shave stick and really like the results.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I doubt there is one, single, right way when and how to apply a good pre-shave. I have found, if I apply the pre-shave, rub it in well with my fingers, then make my lather in a shaving bowl, the pre-shave has a few minutes to do its magic. I also put the soap in my bowl before I shower and let it float in a sink of hot water, after I've added some water. By the time I get around to making the lather, it's effortless.

Top Bottom