What's new

"Green Shaving"

Slate Article

Talks about how electrics are actually the best way to go for the environment. Never thought of it but daily use of hot water adds up substantially in energy costs compared to the electric.
They do state that for wet shaving the straights are the way to go though!:lol:

Well heck! It takes zero electricity to grow a big ol' nappy beard. I guess you just gotta ask yourself how green you really wanna be. :biggrin:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Nothing in the article about the manufacturing process for the razor or repair parts.

However I do encourage all hard core green types to switch to the Electric. Especially the vocal ones.
As soon as possible.

:w00t:

Nothing in the article about the manufacturing process for the razor or repair parts.

However I do encourage all hard core green types to switch to the Electric. Especially the vocal ones.
As soon as possible.

Phil, electric shavers use low levels of power. Perhaps they need to use the Tim Taylor approach with MORE POWER! :thumbup:

Short sighted as usual, just like all the noise about electric cars but not looking at the process of manufacturing the batteries. But YMMV.

Best regards,

Doug

:
Yes it did.

If that represents 40 percent of the shaver's energy consumption, that means design, manufacture, transport, and disposal will add on 2.1 kilowatt-hours, for a total four-year consumption of 3.5 kilowatt-hours.

I am "green" shaving because using vintage Gillettes means I am kind of recycling and DE blades also take up less landfill.

I am a serious green, and I cringe when I read about idiotic magazine articles like that one. All they do is trivialize a serious issue with fluffy nonsense. It takes a mature, considered approach to systems to actually track energy efficiency.

For example, growing a big nappy beard might take lots of soap and water to shampoo, and lots of time with the blow drier to dry off in the morning before venturing out into the cold to go to work. Also the wind resistance from moving that wall of whiskers through the air may cause you to load up on an additional bagel as you pedal your bike to work.

How about that for efficiency?:lol:

People ought to get a little perspective!

The processing of milk can be made greener if we don't pastureize it

Operating rooms will be greener if overhead lights and air conditioning aren't used

My house will be greener if I throw out the fridge, stove, a/c, heat, water softner, and water heater

traffic will be greener if there are no redlights

airports can be greener without radar, greener yet with no planes

medicine can be greener withoug mri, cat, xray, eec, ecc, etc.

give it a break... we did not climb out of the trees for all this political correctness CRAP, we have a brain and an unlimited capacity to improve our lives and solve our problems

i am going to boil a lobster now on an electric stove... happy new year,
ken

Operating rooms will be greener if overhead lights and air conditioning aren't used

My house will be greener if I throw out the fridge, stove, a/c, heat, water softner, and water heater

give it a break... we did not climb out of the trees for all this political correctness CRAP, we have a brain and an unlimited capacity to improve our lives and solve our problems

ken

Excellent point Ken on the PC issue!
Not all, but over 80% of "green" emphasis is PC and nothing more.

As soon as possible.

True but the guess by using the costs of an electric toothbrush, which I'm assuming is the closest small appliance they could find.

Old hat. I remember a similar article appearing 10 or 15 years ago when the green movement was picking up some speed, and the forerunners all confessed to being wetshavers because it felt better. That closed the book on that particular 'green thing' as far as I was concerned.

ken

To take Ken's point farther - I am not sure that it is possible to have a truly green lifestyle without going back to the agrarian lifestyles of a couple of centuries ago. Limited manufacturing, no electronics, villages, very low commute distances, no motor vehicles, etc. I believe that the notion that we can retain our electronically enhanced and highly mobile lifestyles and truly 'green up' the environment at the same time is an unrealizable dream without significant sacrifices that I'm not sure we are all willing (or able) to make.

Good post and very interesting information on the link.

However, most of the article was based on guess work as the electric shavermanufacturers weren't forth coming on how much energy is used to produce a shaver. Hmmmmn i wonder why??

Anyways DE shaving can be more greener than both those methods if used correctly so no need to worry too much.

Iky

How much water do people use? For a typical shave I use less than a litre. Use less water. Job done. No need to buy a useless electric

sick of the endless "GREEN" crap.. I use more water doing one shower than I use in a month if shaving! I dump more water out of a pot of pasta than I use in a month of shaving. GREEN is just making some folks very rich. The golf course down the road pumps more water from their wells in a day than I can pump in a year.

you know when you really stop and think about it, is it really possible to "waste" water? For instance when a lawn is watered, where does the water go? It's either absorbed by the grass, filters back into the water table, or evaporates into the atmosphere, same thing with water going down the drain. IMHO all we really do is temporarily displace water.
Oh yeah, the thing about electric razors- taking an electric motor, attaching several blades to it and rubbing it across my face just seems stupid to me.

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
If wet shaving causes the sea level to rise by ten feet, then all I can is surf's up, baby.

Top Bottom