What's new

Great shave, No prep!

I'm finding I get a better shave with no prep, just a splash of warm water on the face lather and go. Seems like my face isn't as dried out after. I swear I could have gone without aftershave today. This goes against everything I've learned here! But the past few times I've tried it there's no denying it's better. Anybody else doing the same?

Yep that's exactly what I do and have done since I started. That said it's still important to get the lather right and to splash cold water at the end followed by a good moisturiser

Personally, I do no prep whatsoever outside of showering first and a splash of warm water. I face lather and go. That has always been more than sufficient for me.

Cheers!
-Greg

I'm finding I get a better shave with no prep, just a splash of warm water on the face lather and go. Seems like my face isn't as dried out after. I swear I could have gone without aftershave today.

I thought that was the prep! I usually even skip the water on the face bit, although I think it probably helps.

This goes against everything I've learned here! But the past few times I've tried it there's no denying it's better. Anybody else doing the same?

What I learn here is that YMMV and always be open to different ways. :thumbup1:

-jim

Personally, I do no prep whatsoever outside of showering first and a splash of warm water. I face lather and go. That has always been more than sufficient for me.

Cheers!
-Greg

That's me, too. I thought washing my face in the shower was the prep.

I am still new to the acronyms

What is YMMV?

You make more variables?
Your manly man van?
You medicate mostly v!agra
Yemen mails mostly vengeance?

:tongue_sm

really v i a g r a is edited?

Last edited:
I prepare the lather first with cold water, then take a shower using water temperature that most would consider cold. I have never liked hot showers. I then thoroughly dry my face and apply the lather and shave. If I shave before a shower I apply a very small amount of cold water to my face before applying the lather. I let the lather set on my face 2-3 minutes before I start shaving.

I am finding that by drastically reducing the amount of water I put on my face, and eliminating the use of hot water altogether, I'm getting much better results.

YMMV, and these results aren't typical. <usual legal mumbo-jumbo>

I'm a face latherer, and I've found that's prep enough for me to get a great shave. I tried some other things when I first got here, but in the end I found them unnecessary. I will occasionally slap on some CL preshave, but that's just because I invested in the bottle. When it's gone, I won't be replacing it. I think you just have to try different things and see what works best for you.

My skin seems just fine after a shave. It's after I apply AS the problems appear =/

A man goes to see his doctor. He says, "Doc, whenever I move my arm like this, I get a terrible pain. What do you recommend?"

The doctor says, "Don't move your arm like that."

I used to try the whole hot towel thing but quickly came to the conclusion that it causes me additional irritation so I just went back to face lather and go.

Cheers!
-Greg

I don't even shower first. I prefer to shave before my shower.

Hot water, face lather, shave, shower, Pinaud...

Been working fine for +20 years now. Even after coming here and finding out I've been "doing it wrong" all these years.:ohmy::001_tt2::wink2:

I prepare the lather first with cold water, then take a shower using water temperature that most would consider cold. I have never liked hot showers. I then thoroughly dry my face and apply the lather and shave. If I shave before a shower I apply a very small amount of cold water to my face before applying the lather. I let the lather set on my face 2-3 minutes before I start shaving.

I am finding that by drastically reducing the amount of water I put on my face, and eliminating the use of hot water altogether, I'm getting much better results.

YMMV, and these results aren't typical. <usual legal mumbo-jumbo>

All this makes sense to me. The more water I use the more likely that my skin becomes waterlogged. When that happens, I get a bad shave and razor burn to boot.

lathering up on my face for a minute or so is all the prep i do.
sometimes i shave like that before a shower sometimes after sometimes
i shave like that and don't even shower!:laugh:

Top Bottom