What's new

Great Guitarists

Hello, all! Great thread, with some fantastic recommendations!

Some of my personal favorites:

Joe Bonamassa, SRV, Eric Clapton, Duane Allman, Lightnin' Hopkins, Michael Bloomfield, Ry Cooder, Warren Haynes, etc.

Cheers!

Mathias Jabs, Rudy Schenker, Michael Schenker, Uli Roth, Dave Murray, Adrian Smith, KK Downing, Glenn Tipton, Randy Rhoads, Vivian Campbell, Richie Blackmore, Trey Anastasio, to name a few.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I don't think the late Jeff Beck is getting enough love here!
I always loved him. Truth is essential in any collection. Regarding slide guitarists, I loved the supreme smoothness of the late Jesse Edwin Davis with Taj Mahal on Giant Step.

I always loved him. Truth is essential in any collection. Regarding slide guitarists, I loved the supreme smoothness of the late Jesse Edwin Davis with Taj Mahal on Giant Step.
Jesse Ed Davis blew my mind. Such a great album and his playing and tone were superb.
And, yes, I still think Blow By Blow is the greatest guitar album ever recorded, tied with Jimi's Electric Ladyland.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Jesse Ed Davis blew my mind. Such a great album and his playing and tone were superb.
And, yes, I still think Blow By Blow is the greatest guitar album ever recorded, tied with Jimi's Electric Ladyland.
No argument from me on Blow by Blow. I think Electric Ladyland was far and away Hendrix' best work.

Almost always the list of 'Greats' referenced are either 60/70 yrs. Old or deceased. Shout out to young virtuoso guitarists. Three that come to mind are Tim Henson of Polyphia (he was great at ten years old, now at 29 he's to guitar playing what Jaco was to bass playing decades ago and since). Italian jazz guitarist in his early 20's Matteo Mancuso (Al Dimeola is a huge fan). And Contemporary guitarist Julian Lage (Methany could pass the torch to him). Cheers to them all as well as those slogging away at it whose names we don't know!

Top Bottom