What's new

Great Guitarists

If you mean Izzy Stradlin, there is no comparison to James Iha.
I enjoyed the Pumpkins, but Billy was the driving force in the Pumpkins, and there are a lot of people who could have been in James Iha's shoes.
No one could replace Izzy, and that's why GnR went to crap. While I was annoyed that Steven Adler got booted, Sorum was a great drummer. No one was able to replace Izzy and his style and flair.

Fair enough.

Johnny Marr,Buckethead,Django,Dean Ween,Mike Cooley,Zappa, Robbie Robertson from the band is way underrated imho.... that bit in the last waltz where he covers for Clapton on the fly when he has strap issues mid song alone should get him a pass.

This question is too hard. Id likely make a slightly different list next week but this comes to mind now.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
There are so many greats, and too many no longer with us. Greg Allman is at the top of the electric slide players for me , though Derek Trucks is a close second. Ry Cooder and Mark Knopfler should be mentioned in the electric slide category too. I’m sure there are others who end up on those lists….It is subjective, after all.

My tastes in music are very eclectic. One common thread is that I love guitar-driven music, regardless of whether it is classical, jazz, fusion, rock, whatever. Who are your favorites?

Not sure who is going to be familiar with him, but Allan Holdsworth is the greatest guitarist on the planet, IMO. No one plays with better technique. Unfortunately he is a bit of a recluse and a perfectionist, so a lot of people haven't been exposed to his music. If you want a sense of it, here are two excellent examples. Just watch and be amazed:

If you like classical music, no one comes close to the maestro, Andres Segovia. Take a listen:

There are others, but I'll let others chime in. Should be interesting.
There are so many greats out there. I grew up listening to Jazz/Fusion and among of my favorites are Lee Ritenour, Larry Carlton, Frank Gambale, Pat Metheny, John McLaughlin.

Heard way too many over the years to try to make a list. No doubt many of them have already been mentioned, and new ones are popping up all the time, much faster than I can keep up with. That said...

Have been listening to a lot from these YT channels lately, featuring a whole range of guitarists and guitars. The instruments are broadly from the classical tradition, from 150 yo antiques all the way up to brand new instruments, but the pieces being played are not limited to that tradition. Found some amazing young players there, and some older ones too.

One young jazz-oriented guitarist from Spain that I think is worth keeping an ear out for is Carla Motis. Only in her early 20s, she is still a developing talent, in the sense of having barely scratched the surface of her own music, but with a huge amount of promise. With rock solid basics, especially rhythm and chord work, and more than a decade of performance experience already, she is not a flashy ego-driven player. She has started branching out recently from behind the big band (and smaller group offshoots) she usually works with. For example:

Captain Beefheart had some of the best rock/blues/jazz guitarists playing at various times in The Magic Band - Jeff Cotton, Bill Harkleroad (Zoot Horn Rollo!) and Gary Lucas come immediately to mind.

Danny Kirwan in early Fleetwoid Mac lineups was an outstanding guitarist as well.

In addition, Fred Frith has been a long time favorite of mine, and, in jazz, Mary Halvorson is fascinating to see and hear.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Just this evening I was listening to vintage Bonnie Raitt on the youtube machine and I came across a quote attributed to BB King in which he said that Bonnie Raitt was the best slide guitarist he'd ever worked with.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
A million posts ago I mentioned Chet Atkins and Roy Clark. I should have added Jerry Reed to make a troika. Man, he could play. A lot more to Jerry Reed than his movie role as the Bandit's sidekick.

Just this evening I was listening to vintage Bonnie Raitt on the youtube machine and I came across a quote attributed to BB King in which he said that Bonnie Raitt was the best slide guitarist he'd ever worked with.
Slide or Lap.....Ben Harper can play it pretty well and in various musical genres.

Not too many people playing slide these days from what I can tell.

Ollie Halsall played with Patto, The Ruttles and, for years, with Kevin Ayers. Halsall is another of the myriad of underappreciated guitarists.

Top Bottom