What's new

Grand King Self Lubricating Razor comparison Photos

This razor was issued a patent in 1945 for its unique configuration Pat. No. 2374612. It was invented by Joseph M. Mellon and the razor was distributed by the Morton B. Farrell Company. The razor head is nickel plated and the handle is solid aluminum. It's known as the "self lubricating razor", as the head of the razor has a slotted combed cap which holds and retains the water, and moistens the lather during shaving.

These razors have been talked about before but I have not seen a side by side comparison before. At first glance they look the same but when you look closer you see the differences.

I have had 2 different types of the Grand Razor. Type one has the pat. no. under the head. Type 2 has the pat. No. and "Self lubricating" "Made in the USA" stamped on top of the head. From a side view of both head you can see that the base plate is made differently.

Type 1:
Handle weight 19.6 g .69 oz
length 2 3/4"
Head weight 23.3 g .82 oz
base teeth 14
cap teeth 17

Type 2:
Handle weight 22.4 g .79 oz
length 3"
Head weight 21.2 g .75 oz
base teeth 11
cap teeth 17
$Side by side handle.jpg$Side by side head top.jpg$Side by side head under.jpg$Side by side head.png

Thanks for the info and pics.
I think I have a Type 1 on the way. It is missing 2 teeth on the base plate. I may try to substitute a Gillette NEW base plate to see if that works.
Strange looking razor. I really just bought it because it looks so unusual.

I have a couple of the type 1, and did not realize that there were two types. I use one with a custom handle and have to say it's the mildest shaver I have, never giving problems with nicks or weepers, but a consistently very close shave. IMHO probably the best razor design ever.

Wow, those handles are lightweights! What are they made of? I have a UFO Kaiser handle in aircraft aluminum. It's one of the lightest handles I own, but it still weighs 10g more than the Type 2.

Anyway, interesting razors!

I picked this one up today so apparently there’s a 13 Tooth model also !

Attachments

• 1D280A8C-80CE-4D3E-A10D-A0DE479523EA.jpeg
    1D280A8C-80CE-4D3E-A10D-A0DE479523EA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
  • 7FDC8FF3-C8FF-48E1-BAE1-676310680ED0.jpeg
    7FDC8FF3-C8FF-48E1-BAE1-676310680ED0.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 58
Top Bottom