What's new

Gotta be the best inexpensive soap

My wife returned from NL w a little prezzie for me. She picked up a tub of De Vergulde Hand shaving soap that cost less than 3 Euros...about $3.25. This is a hard puck with a great fresh scent - in fact it’s “extra fris” (extra fresh) 😀😀. I covered it w warm water while I showered and used my boar brush. This soap lathers like a champ!!! I easily had more than enough for 3 passes plus a clean up. Good glide and facial protection - face feels great.

On amazon it’s more than twice the price so nowhere near the killer deal 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ I haven’t tried Williams so I can’t compare but it’s definitely in the same price category

E298DEE6-9DBF-44B5-927E-CA2912E127FC.jpeg

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I work in Rotterdam quite often and DVH is available in most supermarkets as a budget soap. It is I believe one of the oldest shaving soap brands in production being available since 1554 although no doubt the formula has changed during that time. I find it excellent especially for the price; it lathers well although I felt it left my skin rather dry. I always think the packaging looks like a tub of margarine, but that's just me 😁

I work in Rotterdam quite often and DVH is available in most supermarkets as a budget soap. It is I believe one of the oldest shaving soap brands in production being available since 1554 although no doubt the formula has changed during that time. I find it excellent especially for the price; it lathers well although I felt it left my skin rather dry. I always think the packaging looks like a tub of margarine, but that's just me 😁
Yes! It does look like margarine 🤣😂

I always think the packaging looks like a tub of margarine, but that's just me 😁
I put photos of DVH and a tub of margarine side by side and they do look surprisingly alike!
proxy.php

Well, maybe it's not surprising. If DVH is a bargain brand, then they may have intentionally chosen a standard snap-lock tub from a packaging catalog to keep costs down.

Lots of companies do this, actually. In the wet shaving world, the one that comes immediately to mind is Fine Accoutrements. When they first started out, they couldn't afford a custom bottle, so they chose a barbeque sauce bottle for their aftershaves!

proxy.php

(Note: That's not the actual bottle on the right. Just the first one that I saw in a catalog. Pretty close, though! :001_smile)

Great review! :thumbup: :thumbup:

(Now I need to convince LOTH that we ‘need’ to visit NL so I can ‘save $’ by purchasing shaving soap!!)

My wife returned from NL w a little prezzie for me. She picked up a tub of De Vergulde Hand shaving soap that cost less than 3 Euros...about $3.25. This is a hard puck with a great fresh scent - in fact it’s “extra fris” (extra fresh) 😀😀. I covered it w warm water while I showered and used my boar brush. This soap lathers like a champ!!! I easily had more than enough for 3 passes plus a clean up. Good glide and facial protection - face feels great.

On amazon it’s more than twice the price so nowhere near the killer deal 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ I haven’t tried Williams so I can’t compare but it’s definitely in the same price category

View attachment 1064361
This looks like a great deal! Thanks for posting.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

View attachment 1064361
Williams is an American icon but I wouldn’t go out of my way to acquire it. Lathering is problematic and it has a tendency to dissipate on your face quickly. I use it from time to time but it isn’t the equivalent quality of what you are describing.

I used it more than a decade ago. Yes it lathers well. The scent reminded me of New West, a scent from the 1980's but my memory may be off.

In the end the scent didn't agree with my skin, rather strong if I recall. Can't use it because of that.

Chris

View attachment 1064361
Regurarly it's a special price 1 + 1 free.
Summer 2018 they were still €1,75 they were in special price at my local grocery so I bought 10 of them, 10 tubs for €8,75

Top Bottom