What's new

Got my first cast iron pans

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I bought my wife a Lodge 10 1/4 and 12 inch skillets for the wife. Is it good to put a thin coat of vegetable over them after cleaning?

Very, very thin (wipe it down with a paper towel). Best to do this while it is still hot. Otherwise, you'll end up with a sticky, potentially rancid mess.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Very, very thin (wipe it down with a paper towel). Best to do this while it is still hot. Otherwise, you'll end up with a sticky, potentially rancid mess.
Cool, that is what I did- applied the oil to a paper towel then wiped it all down.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I just picked up a Lodge 10.5 and 8 inch skillets a few weeks ago also. While they are already pre-seasoned, I coated them with a very thin layer of Canola Oil and placed them in a 425 degree oven for an hour. I would then let them cool down with the oven. I repeated this process about 5 times before their first use. May not of been neccessary, but both skillets are non stick free now. Over easy eggs are sliding out with now problems.

My 18 and 20 year old daughters cooked a Mother's Day cake in the 10.5 and the cake popped right out after it cooled. I bought a Lodge wooden handled bristle brush used for cleaning. A couple of swirls in hot water with the brush and it's clean. Dry off with a paper towel, set it on a low burner for a minute to completely dry and then wiped it down with a small dab of oil. Ready for next time. :)

Last edited:
I think you should season before use. What Rob says, though I didn't do it five times. I've had mine over 15 years Treat it right and it will last multiple lifetimes.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I just picked up a Lodge 10.5 and 8 inch skillets a few weeks ago also. While they are already pre-seasoned, I coated them with a very thin layer of Canola Oil and placed them in a 425 degree oven for an hour. I would then let them cool down with the oven. I repeated this process about 5 times before their first use. May not of been neccessary, but both skillets are non stick fee now. Over easy eggs are sliding out with now problems.

My 18 and 20 year old daughters cooked a Mother's Day cake in the 10.5 and the cake popped right out after it cooled. I bought a Lodge wooden handled bristle brush used for cleaning. A couple of swirls in hot water with the brush and it's clean. Dry off with a paper towel, set it on a low burner for a minute to completely dry and then wiped it down with a small dab of oil. Ready for next time. :)

I think you should season before use. What Rob says, though I didn't do it five times. I've had mine over 15 years Treat it right and it will last multiple lifetimes.
Okay, I think I will follow this advice.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I just oiled up the 12 inch and placed it in the oven. I should be able to do 2 treatments tonight and the rest tomorrow.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The kitchen is smelling to high heaven, but if it helps it is worth it. Now, to find out if my uncle has my grandmother's cast iron cookware.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
You can do it on the BBQ outside too. Real thin layers and on a burner on the stove with the exhaust fan on full blast as well.

Very thin layers of oil/grease/lard are what you want. Like painting a car, multiple thin coats beats a think covering.

Here is how I seasoned my Lodge:

1. Use hot water and dish detergent to scrub it clean. Dry it with a towel and leave it sitting overnight to make sure it is completely dry.

2. Follow the instructions here.

Once your cast iron skillet is properly season, the most important thing will be to use it often.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Very thin layers of oil/grease/lard are what you want. Like painting a car, multiple thin coats beats a think covering.
That is what I have been doing- very thin layers. I am turning the oven off now after the second seasoning.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
The way Memaw did it with a new skillet was to make a roux... brown equal amount of flour in equal amount of oil or fat. Keep stirring. When it is so brown it is just about burnt, add hot water and stir like crazy. It will thicken up. Just go ahead and add some more water. Stir like crazy. Dump it all out, quick rinse under hot water with a brush, until nice and clean. Return it to the burner. Wipe out all water. Heat to get rid of all water, and until a tiny drop of oil in the skillet will almost immediately start smoking. Add a couple teaspoons of oil to the smoking hot skillet, spread it around. Cut off the burner. Wipe out excess. Should still be shiny with oil. The cast iron will draw the oil in as it cools.

From here, alternately heat up in the oven, medium heat or around 350 degrees, until it starts looking dry-ish, then wipe with an oil saturated paper towel and return to the oven. A few oven treatments and you have a good basic season in your new skillet.

Initially, just fry stuff in it. Absolutely don't cook anything with tomatoes or acidic stuff for the first few months. A good thing to cook in a new-ish cast iron skillet is cornbread. Melt enough bacon fat in the skillet to make up half the fat in your cornbread. Swirl it around, heat up that skillet while the oven preheats, then pour all but a teaspoon or so into your batter. Stir the batter quickly, and pour it into the skillet while it is still smoking hot. It MUST sizzle a bit. This makes a nice skin and prevents sticking. Stick it in the oven and bake. If you did it right, flipping the skillet upside down will dump out a perfect round of cornbread. Wipe the skillet and put it away.

ALWAYS make a gravy after frying something that sticks to the skillet. The shot of water loosens the stucky stuff from the skillet.

Avoid the use of soap when cleaning cast iron. Ideally, just wipe it out. If necessary, scrub quickly with brush and water only, then heat it and apply oil or grease.

ive got a 15" skillet i found in the woods several years ago. it was solid rust. i use it almost daily, its best use for searing ribeyes.

First rule, avoid soap at all costs. And if it hasn't been said, do your seasoning outside if you can. A propane grill is a fine place for this.

I notice that cooking anything with tomato or other acidic foods will affect the seasoning so be aware of that and re-season as needed.

Top Bottom