What's new

Got my first cast iron pans

Here's my collection. That little round griddle probably gets the most use -- everything from eggs to crepes to grilled cheese -- and the loaf pan blows any aluminum pan out of the water!

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 141
A cast iron loaf pan? That's odd
And heavy as hell. But it never, ever sticks and it cooks more evenly and browns more effectively than any other loaf pan I've ever used. I make all sorts of quickbreads in it (oatmeal, banana, corn, etc.) and it has never let me down. It's unquestionably the last loaf pan I'll ever buy (unless I buy a second cast iron one).

Do you preheat it? I can't see how it could easily be used for 'normal' bread (but I still want one)

I use it just like I would a regular loaf pan. Most of the time when I'm making "normal" bread I don't use a pan at all, I just bake it on a stone in the oven. But anything that calls for a loaf pan, that's my huckleberry.

Stranger and stranger, I would've thought the thermal shock would crack it. I use a stone for all my bread too, but I do find the occasional use for loaf pans

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Here's my collection. That little round griddle probably gets the most use -- everything from eggs to crepes to grilled cheese -- and the loaf pan blows any aluminum pan out of the water!
Very nice. Maybe we can turn this into a "show me your cast iron" thread.

I bought my wife a Lodge 10 1/4 and 12 inch skillets for the wife. Is it good to put a thin coat of vegetable over them after cleaning?
Yes, during seasoning I gather. If you just put oil and leave it there I would expect it would go rancid.

Very nice. Maybe we can turn this into a "show me your cast iron" thread.
I started this "show and tell" and messed up your thread. Anyway, find above the answer to your question. :001_smile

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
It good for you cause it puts Iron in your food. Since your in Fort Worth you can build your collection by checking garage and Estate sales pretty cheap.
Yeah, I need to start hitting up garage sales. Hopefully I can someday stumble upon a Parker 51 or Vacumatic fountain pen, too.

I cook virtually everything in my black cast iron pans.

When I am doing acidic foods that eat through seasoning, like tomatoes, tomato sauce, or spinach, I use my enameled cast iron.

Top Bottom