What's new

First quality buy advice

For some reason I'm having a time rounding up the answers to my question using the search bar.

Looking for advice on my next purchase. I have a few lower end ebay straight razors I've been learning to hone on. Now I'd like to spend a little more money for my next one.
Any and all suggestions and advice are welcome,

1. I'm looking for something give or take in the $200 usd range.
2. I love vintage but new is an option also.
3. 6/8" or more.
4. 1/4 to 1/2 wedge (but not hard set on this)
5. Will eventually be honing it myself with what I have at the moment. King 1k, Rika 5k, Rozsutec, Black Shadow and lapping film (so far I'm finding this works for the blades I have but I'm always trying to improve).
6. I've been recently emailing with Andrej about the rigarazor (absolutely love this style but I've seen modern steel can be picky on its stones?)
7. I'm watching Edge dynamics' videos and keep getting interested when he says the Wade and Butcher razors give such a smooth soft shave.
8. Choices, choices, choices and all of you know. I'm finding out 'One does not just walk in to the world of straight razors', it's turning into quite the hobby :yinyang:

As usual thanks in advance,
Rick

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
With your budget. I would steer away from mass produced "factory" SRs.

Steve Colling (Australia) or Ralf Aust (Germany). Both make wonderful SRs within you budget, even a custom made one exactly as you want it.

Depending on your standard for shave-ready, any new SR you purchase will probably need a little work on your finer whetstones or lapping films.

Aaaaaaarrggg.

While I was waiting, I kept looking at the rigarazor and I love the look so much I couldn't stop myself from buying it.

Apologies for asking for help then cutting out on you guys.

Pretty sure I did that when I bought my black shadow recently.

Funny how such an impatient nature loves straight razor shaving:)

I've found this to be true with my watch hobby also.

They're both like a therapy for me.

I would also go for RigaRazors. So far, they are the only ones which have delivered me multiple flawless razors (and I inspected them closely). Bonus, they are also shave ready.

I see one of them was sold today, just before you posted your last message. If that's the one you purchased, then congratulations.

Shoot my good friend Joseph from edge dynamics an e-mail, tell him your budget and what you are looking for, I'm sure he will get you sorted.
I like his stuff, I've been watching his videos, he has a great selection. I've had difficulty using my bank card for overseas purchases in the past so I wasn't pushing too hard on his direction initially

I have two Rigarazors and they are superb!
I wasn't sure about them at first, one video was just so-so about them but the more I watched the more they show to be quality razors which is fortunate for me since the style would 'almost' make up for a mediocre shave and I might have made a purchase regret

I would also go for RigaRazors. So far, they are the only ones which have delivered me multiple flawless razors (and I inspected them closely). Bonus, they are also shave ready.

I see one of them was sold today, just before you posted your last message. If that's the one you purchased, then congratulations.
🥳🥳🥳🥰🥰🥰 yep, I'm 'that guy' 😁

Yeah, if you're looking for a 6/8 plus, quarter hollow, Rigarazor is a no-brainer. I'd also suggest the Koraat Basic II, which would still be in your price range.
The tough part was getting this initial bigger $ (compared to my usual $20 ones) buy done. It's always difficult to choose 1 out of so many great ones to choose from. Looks like family won't have to be asking what I want for birthdays and Christmas for a long time 😁

RigaRazor would be a good choice. Andrej makes a nice near wedge.

The problem with buying a vintage razor in very good to mint condition is you need to be opportunistic and ready to pounce like a cat. For example, if you see a mint Filarmonica 13 Medallon Taurino quarter hollow for a fair price, you need to pounce.

RigaRazor would be a good choice. Andrej makes a nice near wedge.

The problem with buying a vintage razor in very good to mint condition is you need to be opportunistic and ready to pounce like a cat. For example, if you see a mint Filarmonica 13 Medallon Taurino quarter hollow for a fair price, you need to pounce.
I would like to focus on my next purchase being a vintage razor. At least now I'll have time to decide on the right one to watch for.

Top Bottom