What's new

Good Starter Coffee?

I thoroughly enjoy tea, but I've never been a coffee drinker. I'm going to try change this. So I'm looking for some good quality coffee that would fit the bill for someone acquiring a taste.

Thanks all

Guatemalan Antigua is a really nice starter coffee. It's a good mellow coffee that isn't terribly strong.

May I suggest a nice caffe latte in any nice Italian coffee shop. My first coffee at 13 or 14 was a cappuccino and I slowly moved toward black coffee. The milk might make it a bit lighter for the palate.

What is DIN?

Do you know if you like a light or dark roast? Although I like cream in my coffee, I also like a strong brew dark roast. Weak coffee + a little cream does not equal strong coffee in my opinion. I'm sure it will be viewed as kind of pedestrian, but I love a quality french roast just about any time.

I may do the same, I'm already someone who enjoys coffee but I've never tasted anything beyond the usual Starbuck's, Peet's, etc. I've been looking for a good roaster, unfortunately I haven't found any in this area.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I'd start with his Mexican Chiapas, then anything from Ethiopia or Sumatra.

I found this on their web site:
“But isn’t another coffee place in Portland like bringing coal to Newcastle?” asked an editor at the Oregonian, to which a reasonable response might be, yes, and at how many of these places does the coffee indeed taste like charcoal?
And my reply is quite a few of them. I've not had Ristretto Roasters coffee because I roast my own (that, and I've never heard of them), but what drove me to it was Charbucks and their ilk whose beans could be used to fire up my Weber. If you want to taste good coffee, I'd go with this guy...it sounds like he knows what he's doing.

Tim,

Another thing to consider (there always is something, isn't there?) is your equipment. Go you have a grinder? What type of brewing equipment are you going to use?

I would suggest going the Aqua Velva route and finding something local, widely available, inexpensive, and generally accepted as good stuff. Dunkin' Donuts coffee comes to mind. It's a good, honest coffee and tends to be pretty fresh for a prepackaged product.

Another route would be to visit a local, independent coffee house or roastery. Sample their offerings and take home a 1/2 pound or two of what tickles your fancy. Once you start developing an appreciation, you can branch out and explore the vast offerings available though the internet/mail order.

Why am I always the contrarian?

I think you will find the same thing to be true about coffee which is true of many other things. The price/relative quality of a coffee is much less important than what you are used to drinking. I know many people who think gourmet coffee is disgusting because they are used to drinking 7-11 coffee, but hey, the 7-11 coffee hits the spot for them, it's what they are used to drinking. So of course, if you like having expensive tastes go for the gourmet coffee, but it’s really not necessary. You will eventually develop a taste for what ever you decide to drink, no matter what it is. The nice thing about learning to enjoy a generic coffee is that no matter where you go you will be able to find the coffee you are used to and enjoy.

I have found it to be true of wines as well that the more expensive they get the more the vintner seems compelled to play with the wine too much, adding smoke and fruit flavors to the point that they ruin it. That it why the fifteen dollar bottle of wine usually taste better than the thirty dollar bottle. Getting fifteen dollars a bottle the vintner can afford to make a good wine, but not afford to go buy the supplies to muck up their wine with too many flavors.

Top Bottom