What's new

Good newbie brush?

Just getting my shaving arsenal assembled. Have my first DE (1963 Gillette), and will have to order a sampler of blades.

Now I need a good starter brush. How much should I plan to spend?

User...not a collector.

Thanks all.

A C&E Best Badger Brush or a Edwin Jagger Best Brush can be had for $35 to $40. Joel is currently working on a B&B Essential brush which should come in around the same price point but be denser, softer etc. Unfortunately it isn't available at this time, it will still be a few weeks out.

Should I plan to spend $35-$40 to get something decent?

Some members have had success with the Tweezerman Brush which is around $10. You can also pick up an Omega Boar Brush for the same price as well.

I would say it is hard to beat the $35 C&E Brush though...until the new B&B Essential brush is released...

Should I plan to spend $35-$40 to get something decent?

Agreed with what Bob said. There is the Tweezerman or a Boar at around $10. Mixed thoughts on that though. For something reliably liked, the $35-$40 C&E is the starting point.

It would be worth considering picking up a boar tweezer for now, though, to hold you over to see whether the B&B Essentials basic shaving brush might suit you better. (The Proraso, by Omega, boar is pretty widely available - does Target still have it? - and the best of the Boar brushes. Well, the Omega ones are the same, with more handle options, but generally have to be ordered.)

-Mo

X3 on the Tweezerman, I been using mine for about 6 months, it shed a few hairs when I got it but other then that it's been reliable. I say start there and save up for a more expensive brush to upgrade to down the road.

I went to C & E and saw that $28 price point. Which was great!

What about a shaving soap? Is there anything on C & E that I should pick up as well? Mug/soap?

Pardon the DE inexperience...I'm learning as I go here.

What about a shaving soap? Is there anything on C & E that I should pick up as well? Mug/soap?
C&E shaving creams and (especially) soaps are outstanding IMHO. Get a refill soap at $6.40 and stick it in a coffee mug :biggrin: . Do you have a C&E nearby? You probably want to give 'em a sniff before you decide what to get. I'm a huge fan of Sienna, but of course YMMV.

--Mark

You're getting great advice. You'll never (IMHO) regret a C&E BBB, and at $28, it's even more compelling as an awesome value. That said, I'd argue you also won't regret $10 on a Tweezerman if you do decide to hedge your bets on the new B&B brush. I own both, and like them both; at $28, though, if you think there's even a remote chance you'll stick with wetshaving, the C&E BBB is probably the "right" answer. Happy shaving either way.

Time to take the plunge. Getting ready for a little DE action. Yesterday ordered from C & E:

Best Badger Small Shave Brush...28.00
2 Sienna Shave Soap refills...12.80
1 Almond Oil Shave Soap...4.00
1 Nomad Shave Soap...6.40
1 Brush Stand...4.80

Coupon for free shipping as well. Goodies on the way!

This is a sickness, isn't it?

Time to take the plunge. Getting ready for a little DE action. Yesterday ordered from C & E:

Best Badger Small Shave Brush...28.00
2 Sienna Shave Soap refills...12.80
1 Almond Oil Shave Soap...4.00
1 Nomad Shave Soap...6.40
1 Brush Stand...4.80

Coupon for free shipping as well. Goodies on the way!

This is a sickness, isn't it?

You now have a nice starter kit. I am a big fan of C&E soaps. As for the sickness it is only beginning :biggrin:

Looking forward to trying my new C&E Best Badger Brush over Thanksgiving weekend...thank you B&B forum for your recommendations!

Top Bottom