What's new

Good, cheap soap or cream

If you're in Canada, run down to Pharma-Save and try a tube of Kaloderma. About $3.00, camomile scent, rich lather. Best bang for the buck around here.

Stirling is great for the cost and performance. $7 for a 4-5oz puck. You can also get the samle pucks around $2.00 and they last forever too. I've been using my Sandalwood sample since december and have gotten 10 shaves out of it easy and there is plenty left.

If you want some C.O. Bigelow or Poraso order from Nordstroms you get free shipping.

I really really like my Col Conk Bay Rum. I don't think that Col conk gets as much love around here as it deserves. The smell is very good and it lathers easily for me. I think I paid $3.50 for a puck at West Coast Shaving. The are 3 for $10 on Amazon.

Do yourself a favor. Go to Italianbarber.com, find a scent you like and get you a RazoRock soaps. Best product for the money. Most are in the 7.99-9.99 range

I'm surprised (but only slightly) at how many have recommended VDH. While it may seem cheap, it is fairly soft glycerin based soap and doesn't last very long. I can burn through one in a week or two and am never very satisfied with the shave results.

Agreed. I never get the VDH (or Col. Conk for that matter) showing up in 'cheap products' threads. It isn't, at least not per shave; for me they are on D.R. Harris level pricewise (and guess which one I'll choose...).

Apart from Arko and Cella (the brick) and of course Williams you might want to check out Klar kabinett's 'replacement'; Dusy Kabinett.

Last edited:
Ed,

Clearly Natural bar soap sounds familiar. Where are you buying it? I'm looking for a glycerin soap and I'm not resistant to using bar soap.

I get it at the local grocery store (Schnucks in St. Louis). I was actually planning to try Neutrogena, but the Clearly Natural was right by it, and seemed to have a higher glycerine content. For a buck, I thought it was worth a shot, and I've been happy with it. I'm currently checking out some creams for my travel kit, but will keep this in my rotation.

Ed

Cella by the kilo
Stirling

I'm with this guy. Cella does leave some irritation to my skin, but not much. Stirling is amazing for the price. I can't comment on Williams, Arko, or the other value soaps (except the Colonel Conk that went straight in my trash can after I tried a real soap). However I have a hard time believing that they'll be a better bang for the buck, especially if you have sensitive skin. Stirling is amazing for me in that regard.

Just received the Col Conk I ordered the other day. Amber in a small travel container and I ordered a puck of the Lime since it seems to get the best feedback on here. I can't wait to try it tomorrow morning. Why does it get mixed to average reviews on B&B? $015.jpg

I already chimed in with my answer - Palmolive. But on the "price per shave" topic, I will mention that my 1oz Stirling sample gave me the same number of shaves as my 1/2oz Barrister & Mann sample. So don't be too afraid to splurge on B&M!

Top Bottom