What's new

Gold Dollar reviews

Scales, heels, tangs, shoulders etc. In the end of the day, it's all about the shave.

100% agree assuming you can overcome those issues to actually get to the shave (and handle it without hurting yourself by a protruding edge):thumbup1:

Even at that, the quality of the steel, while not "BAD" isn't as good as most options. Which is why I say it's the... oh wait... I still value Craig's friendship :lol1:

Last edited:
100% agree assuming you can overcome those issues to actually get to the shave (and handle it without hurting yourself protruding edge):thumbup1:

Even at that, the quality of the steel, while not "BAD" isn't as good as most options. Which is why I say it's the... oh wait... I still value Craig's friendship :lol1:

You are now officially on my "list"!:ohmy:

:lol:

Oh snap!

GDs aside (no opinion, never tried one, though not a fan of much that's manufactured in China, fwiw) - Craig's a sox fan, so he's good in my book:thumbup1::001_tongu

Plus, some of the things he's done with these is amazing!

Edit: Fixed:tongue_sm

Last edited:
I counter 5o9's opinion with this:

proxy.php

Where are you people finding these factory fresh? What's a Parko?

Here is a link to Mr. Parko. He doesn't use the Gold Dollar name in his item titles so they are hard to find. But you can bring up his items from here:
http://myworld.ebay.com/mr.parko/
I see about 20 razors listed for the next few weeks. I haven't checked recently, but for a while he had some razors stamped as Dovo that looked like fakes. The only thing I can vouch far is his Gold Dollar offerings. I have three differnt models and they all shave about the same for me. Mr. Parko's come with the factory edge, so they are not shave ready.

I bought three from him and he was a good seller. There are a few others selling them on the bay as well. Many of the models seem to go from $10 to $15 shipping included. For me their claim to fame is that they take a good edge and they are inexpensive. At this price level all the cosmetic issues are non-issues for me. I use mine for travel when I don't want to risk losing a $300 razor in a motel room. THese are fun to play with and they want cause a divorce if you buy one.

I have to admit im glad i have one like you say it's ideal to practice on before you move on to a better razor, plus they're not as bad as people suggest.

I have five straights in rotation, each professionally honed (and well-honed, which is not alwys the case). Two Sheffields, a Solingen, a Wapi II and a DA, which is certainly the same as a GD. And I have owned other razors.

The two I find myself reaching for, that I enjoy shaving with the most, are one of the Sheffields and the DA. The DA has had some mods to it at this point, but not many, and I shaved with with it for very long time without any mods at all. I am pretty darn happy with each of my straights, but I like my DA every bit as much as any of them, perhaps other than the one Sheffield, which is truly a special razor and cost a lot.l

I truly do not understand SRP's taking an institutional position on these straight razors, much less taking a negative position. I generally have nothing but respect for SRP, Lynn, etc. and consider SRP a source of great wisdom. SRP seems off the mark here, though.

Last edited:
I went to rescale my two in ivory (reason I bought them), and the 100 has a bent tang. :p

The 200 seems fine though. It's liking its new home.

Thank you all fellow, :)
I ordered a new GD 200.
How many hone is engouh within a year for a new shave ready GD 200? Do I need a Barber honning stone for daily smoothing?

Regards

Thank you all fellow, :)
I ordered a new GD 200.
How many hone is engouh within a year for a new shave ready GD 200? Do I need a Barber honning stone for daily smoothing?

Regards

As soon as you are committed to shaving with a straight, you should get something like a barbers hone as soon as possible because you're going to want to touch up the razor at least every couple of weeks.

Well got my belgian yellow today from invisible edge, now i know why it cost a bit more it came chamfered and levelled already, i have also since learned my gd was nowhere near shave ready, it took a while to get a feel for the stone and the amount of slurry to use but it didn't take long, similar in feel to a slurried chinese 12k in use.

It's great seeing that edge develop, though the stages i felt the blade getting sharper but it wasn't until i hit the 12k that it started to get scary sharp, it actually felt less sharp but after testing it flew through those hairs with no trouble at all.

Impressive the edge you can get on one of these seeing as they're so 'cheap' as some say, true it is but it's got it where it counts, can't wait to shave with it tomorrow, it'll probably get sharper again with a good stropping session.

I will get a shapton 4k at some point im not too mad on haing to whip up that much slurry, id rather have the grade to begin with however the yellow is a great all round stone, gets the edge shave ready just not super smooth like the 12k can.

These razors certainly don't deserve the reputation they've been given.

Last edited:
Well got my belgian yellow today from invisible edge, now i know why it cost a bit more it came chamfered and levelled already, i have also since learned my gd was nowhere near shave ready, it took a while to get a feel for the stone and the amount of slurry to use but it didn't take long, similar in feel to a slurried chinese 12k in use.

It's great seeing that edge develop, though the stages i felt the blade getting sharper but it wasn't until i hit the 12k that it started to get scary sharp, it actually felt less sharp but after testing it flew through those hairs with no trouble at all.

Impressive the edge you can get on one of these seeing as they're so 'cheap' as some say, true it is but it's got it where it counts, can't wait to shave with it tomorrow, it'll probably get sharper again with a good stropping session.

I will get a shapton 4k at some point im not too mad on haing to whip up that much slurry, id rather have the grade to begin with however the yellow is a great all round stone, gets the edge shave ready just not super smooth like the 12k can.

You may want to do some reseach on using a coticle. Apparently, depending on how you use it (slurry, water only, no water, etc.) can have a dramatic effect in the refinement of the edge.

I've never used one, so I can'thelp there. But there are many here who could give you more info.

That was the first thing i did, the thicker the slurry the more bite you'll get so i just started off thick and worked my way down, i could hear and feel when i was getting no more from the edge, then i would wash off the old slurry and start again with a bit less, very time consuming but once i started using plain water then things started to kick off.

The 12k with slurry was great, it took what great edge the coticle did and really sharpened it up a treat, much smoother as well, sure you can get away with an 8k but why settle for that.

Sure i've plenty to learn about honing but in the short time i feel i've come a long way already.

Either way bring on tomorrow's shave. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Congrats. Keep at it. I think you'll find that you can improve on the edge you got with the Coticule significantly :001_smile

Id like to think i can paul but im not so sure, it is really sharp now, i have a nice slip for a parcel to pick up, i think my lovely ti has arrived and it's so tempting for me to scratch that itch and use the gd but i'll wait until tomorrow, at least i will know what a truly sharp blade will feel like seeing as it's coming from razurpur, martin was great to deal with too so i'll be ordering from him again in the future.

I will be using a 600 grit diamond stone on the gd at some point, got a very tiny little bump right on the tip, not enough to really affect things but id rather be rid of it plus it'll be a perfect time to brush up some more.

Id like to think i can paul but im not so sure, it is really sharp now, i have a nice slip for a parcel to pick up, i think my lovely ti has arrived and it's so tempting for me to scratch that itch and use the gd but i'll wait until tomorrow, at least i will know what a truly sharp blade will feel like seeing as it's coming from razurpur, martin was great to deal with too so i'll be ordering from him again in the future.

I will be using a 600 grit diamond stone on the gd at some point, got a very tiny little bump right on the tip, not enough to really affect things but id rather be rid of it plus it'll be a perfect time to brush up some more.

You're going to love the TI and Martin is top-notch.

Top Bottom