What's new

Gold Dollar, more bang for your buck, or your Pound.

I recently ordered two Gold Dollar 66 razors from China. Because I like to "fiddle" with razors, I was thinking I would get them, and depending on what state they are in, maybe modify one to make a kamisori and the other, modify and fit some nice scales. Paid £6.56, postage included from China, for two!

I wasn't expecting too much, I bought two of their custom razors before and was shocked at the poor quality of the grinds. I had to grind off shoulders and hone them to within an inch of their lives to get them to shave properly. The blades were not straight, they didn't centre, so logically the hone wear was uneven.

Got the 66's today and I was pleasantly surprised. Straight out of the box I inspected the grinds and they seemed good, if not perfect. Both centred perfectly. Carefully optimistic I placed them on a glass table to do the tap and wobble test, and was genuinely surprised to find they were perfectly straight! Honing is going to be a doddle. Even the scales are tight and have a third pin to support them.

I was not wrong. It was easy to set the bevels on a 3000 grid, and the slight hone wear is even across the spine, as good as any of my other expensive razors. Progressed to 8000, 12000 and then stropped on a leather paddle with .5 micron diamond paste then .25 micron. Looked like I had a good edge, HHT, topping hair on my arms, all of that, but the true proof is in the shave.

Lovely two pass shave, WTG and XTG. No harshness, no tugging and clearly very sharp. They are not going to be destroyed by my amateur "fiddling", they are going into my normal rotation, taking pride of place next to razors that cost many times more!

I am puzzled.... Was I just lucky, or has the quality improved? Are all Gold Dollars made in the same factory? I don't know anything about them, just four blades to judge them by, the two more expensive ones a total disappointment, the cheap ones very good.

Hi Gents..
I have moved the post into General Straight Razor Talk, as you will get more feedback in this section..

I recently purchae two Gold dollar 66, one centered nicely the other did not. The stabilizes of both had to be worked on.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’ve bought them by the half dozen and most have been perfectly fine. There are occasional challenges. They shave well enough. Can’t beat the price.

I have found the main problem is the stabilizer on the heel of the blade, remove that and most of the problems go as it rides on the stones.

That's the main problem on the wobble test, but once done they make fantastic razors as it shows in the Gold Dollar Mod Contest.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I recently ordered two Gold Dollar 66 razors from China. Because I like to "fiddle" with razors, I was thinking I would get them, and depending on what state they are in, maybe modify one to make a kamisori and the other, modify and fit some nice scales. Paid £6.56, postage included from China, for two!

I wasn't expecting too much, I bought two of their custom razors before and was shocked at the poor quality of the grinds. I had to grind off shoulders and hone them to within an inch of their lives to get them to shave properly. The blades were not straight, they didn't centre, so logically the hone wear was uneven.

Got the 66's today and I was pleasantly surprised. Straight out of the box I inspected the grinds and they seemed good, if not perfect. Both centred perfectly. Carefully optimistic I placed them on a glass table to do the tap and wobble test, and was genuinely surprised to find they were perfectly straight! Honing is going to be a doddle. Even the scales are tight and have a third pin to support them.

I was not wrong. It was easy to set the bevels on a 3000 grid, and the slight hone wear is even across the spine, as good as any of my other expensive razors. Progressed to 8000, 12000 and then stropped on a leather paddle with .5 micron diamond paste then .25 micron. Looked like I had a good edge, HHT, topping hair on my arms, all of that, but the true proof is in the shave.

Lovely two pass shave, WTG and XTG. No harshness, no tugging and clearly very sharp. They are not going to be destroyed by my amateur "fiddling", they are going into my normal rotation, taking pride of place next to razors that cost many times more!

I am puzzled.... Was I just lucky, or has the quality improved? Are all Gold Dollars made in the same factory? I don't know anything about them, just four blades to judge them by, the two more expensive ones a total disappointment, the cheap ones very good.

All Gold Dollars are made at a factory in Ningbo.

I would not be a bit surprised if quality is improving. Response to market demand.

Gold Dollar razors are made of decent steel, but the quality of workmanship is less than desirable. For the price, quality is reasonable. Generally, the higher the model number, the higher the quality of the workmanship. I never got a #66, but have 208, 300, 600, and 800. The later two are stainless steel and are pretty decent razor, but they are more expensive. Most Gold Dollar razors have issues at the heal. The stabilizer prevents the blade from laying flat on the hones. Once you modify the heal, they hone up fairly easily. Once properly honed, they are decent shavers, but because the steel is not very hard, they will need honing more often than some razors with harder steel.

The first two I bought was a W51 and a W59. Thought they would be better quality. Both of them were challenging to me and I had to grind off the stabiliser from the W51. Both didn't centre properly. Once done they shave very nice, they are just much shorter than most razors and the other day I gave myself a nasty scratch on the cheek from the aggressive point on the W51. Very quickly softened it again on the glass shower door! Just wish they would take the criticism and remove the stabilisers.

Couldn't help myself, I had to fiddle with it. Shaves like a dream.

Attachments

• gold dollar.jpg
    gold dollar.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 52
I bet it does. Welcome to the Dark Side.
Slash, I watched your video on "The Method" last night for the first time. I have been searching for it for a while, but for some reason its quite difficult to find on youtube. Excellent video, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I read about it before and got the general hang of it, so I tried pasting a half-inch balsa plank, but couldn't get a good result on it. After watching the video, I think my mistake was that I applied too much pressure, and maybe too much diamond paste. I can also see that I need to firm it up with some stiff backing to prevent it from deforming. I get good results on a leather paddle strop with the paste, but I think your method will take it to the next level, so I will have another go at it. The more I read, the less likely I am to spend a lot of money on stones that may or may not work for me. I would much rather use a way that makes sense and gives reliable results.

Gold Dollar razors are made of decent steel, but the quality of workmanship is less than desirable. For the price, quality is reasonable. Generally, the higher the model number, the higher the quality of the workmanship. I never got a #66, but have 208, 300, 600, and 800. The later two are stainless steel and are pretty decent razor, but they are more expensive. Most Gold Dollar razors have issues at the heal. The stabilizer prevents the blade from laying flat on the hones. Once you modify the heal, they hone up fairly easily. Once properly honed, they are decent shavers, but because the steel is not very hard, they will need honing more often than some razors with harder steel.
Could you give me an opinion on the 208 vs 800? Looking to buy one for BF. Was leaning towards the 208 to start but wondering if there are differences besides the 800 being less likely to rust.

Could you give me an opinion on the 208 vs 800? Looking to buy one for BF. Was leaning towards the 208 to start but wondering if there are differences besides the 800 being less likely to rust.

The 600 and 800 series are stainless. The 208 and 300 series are carbon steel. As I stated in my earlier post, typically the higher the number, the better the workmanship. I certainly found that to be the case with my razors. The least expensive verison is model 66. I do not have that one, but it is the model chosen by folks who want to create mods of the razor.

With any Gold Dollor (or ZY) razor, you are going to have to do some work to get the razor to lay flat on the hones. I got my first Gold Dollar (a model 800) from Wet Shaving Products. They made the modifications and honed the razor to a shave ready condition. I then purchased others and did the modifications and honing myself. As long as they are properly honed, the 208 will shave just as well as the 800.

Top Bottom