What's new

Gold Dollar Competition, 2013

$30.60 for ten, um, nine. I have a seven day set in mind and will selfishly steal ideas from mycarver, Doc and Serephim without remorse! Bwwwaaaahahaha!! (note evil laugh)

If you get 11, I know where my missing one went at least. I also sent him an email asking when he was likely to get more. Hmmmmm, 30 day set? :drool:

You are a day further than I am, bet you get them tomorrow.

I got 5 - took two weeks to get here, just arrived last thursday...now, I have some stuff to do inbetween my 5/3/1 strength training ;)

hmm. now i have 3 that came in, but i truly have 0 concept ideas and to implement before 3/19 seems tight based on what i think i have ahead of me… ll likely watch on the sidelinesi.

hmm. now i have 3 that came in, but i truly have 0 concept ideas and to implement before 3/19 seems tight based on what i think i have ahead of me… ll likely watch on the sidelinesi.

I would love to see them even if just polished and honed. No judgment here just GD lovers.

Legion

Staff member
No sidelines. Check out the last comp for ideas, and put something together. Heck, just make it nicer than it is now. You totally earn points for keenness an participation.

C'mon! No hand wringing.

I had a request yesterday for a shorty from a member, and I banged this out in an afternoon.....

attachment.php

Don't think.....

Just DO IT!

When the sparks start flying, and you start inhaling the GD dust, the ideas just start coming....Let's go, guys!

Okay guys... You've convinced me. I've rescaled a GD before. But, this is my first time actually modifying the geometry of a GD. So, I figured I'd give it a go. I've got a lot more to do yet but this is how far I've gotten before my Dremel needed recharged. Scales? Gone. Logo? Bye-bye. Barber's notch? Started. Battery? Low... :001_unsur

$DSC04265.jpg $DSC04267.jpg $DSC04268.jpg $DSC04271.jpg

Okay guys... You've convinced me. I've rescaled a GD before. But, this is my first time actually modifying the geometry of a GD. So, I figured I'd give it a go. I've got a lot more to do yet but this is how far I've gotten before my Dremel needed recharged. Scales? Gone. Logo? Bye-bye. Barber's notch? Started. Battery? Low... :001_unsur

Looking good! A cordless dremel would be nice but I think that whole running out of power thing would give me fits.

I like how clean and even it looks where you sanded the logo off, I have a hard time with that.

Looking good! A cordless dremel would be nice but I think that whole running out of power thing would give me fits.

I like how clean and even it looks where you sanded the logo off, I have a hard time with that.

Thanks. I was able to achieve the even grind simply by using the 15 mm drum on my Dremel and making nice even strokes across the tang. Sandpaper hasn't even touched this thing yet. :thumbup:

More progress has been made. After carefully measuring out and marking the spine, out came the Dremel. I was also able to take out the stabilizer and smooth everything out. The rest of the evening was spent with the TV and a stack of sandpaper. The blemishes are all sanded out at the lower grits. Now it's time to start progressing upwards. I also test fitted the razor into a spare set of scales. As you can see, after some careful grinding, the blade centers perfectly.

$8483400491_f11c190a0f_z.jpg $8484494828_f66c865461_z.jpg $8483403251_9a3487d5ea_z.jpg $8483404629_6a531405ec_z.jpg $8484558012_616f2eed84_z.jpg

Last edited:
More progress has been made. After carefully measuring out and marking the spine, out came the Dremel. I was also able to take out the stabilizer and smooth everything out. The rest of the evening was spent with the TV and a stack of sandpaper. The blemishes are all sanded out at the lower grits. Now it's time to start progressing upwards. I also test fitted the razor into a spare set of scales. As you can see, after some careful grinding, the blade centers perfectly.

View attachment 310384 View attachment 310386 View attachment 310385 View attachment 310387 View attachment 310393

Looking good so far.

Thanks, guys. I ordered the scale materials last night too. The sanding is progressing amazingly well. I'm up to 600 grit now and It's starting to look like a mirror.

Alrighty, here's mine.
This was actually a team effort; my 12 yo daughter (who is also a wet shaver) has this hobby called "quilling". Basically it's taking 1/8" strips of paper and using a little spindle tool to twist them up into all kinds of interesting shapes. I made some red acrylic scales and used a speed cutter to make a hole in them large enough for her to fit a black flower, backed it with foil, clamped it down and filled it with 2 part epoxy, like so:
$IMG_5950.jpg
Waiting for it to dry I did some more sanding on the blade and made a smoke black wedge, then assembled it all. It's shoulder-less, has some jum....er, mega jimps, a small barber's notch and some modest spine work. Also thinned out the tang quite a lot to make it a little sleeker looking.
Pics:
$IMG_5951.jpg$IMG_5955.jpg

Lots of fun, might knock another 1-2 out before contest closes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom