What's new

Going sideways across the neck...

So, I am having troubles with moving my straight razor laterally across my neck. In other words, suppose the razor is basically vertical, and I need to move the razor from the center line of my neck towards my ear. Because of the contour of my neck, I have to kind of hold the razor at more of a diagonal angle than straight up and down. I think because of this slight angle, I am ending up slicing myself from time to time. Otherwise, I am not sure why, but some times I can do this just fine, and other times I end up nicking myself.

I thought it was just my technique with a straight, but I am also having the issue with a safety razor, so I am starting to suspect it may be an issue with my prep or my lather, but some days I have no problem despite how consistent I am with all that.

My prep is as so...

I wash my face with a facial cleanser
I build a starting lather in my bowl and apply it to my face
While the initial lather is softening my whiskers, I strip
I then face lather, adding water as necessary until the lather is free of streaks

Some days, it works perfectly, the lather is nice and lubricating, and I have no issues. Other days, it seems like the razor kind of "chatters" across the skin, leaving clear buffeted spots on the lather, and that's when the nicks happen.

I try to hold the angle and pressure as consistently as possible, but I suspect that's where my issue really lies. Should I maybe be trying to hold a more shallow angle? As far as pressure goes, I basically try to keep a feather's touch, but I suspect some days I'm more heavy handed than others.

So, I am having troubles with moving my straight razor laterally across my neck. In other words, suppose the razor is basically vertical, and I need to move the razor from the center line of my neck towards my ear. Because of the contour of my neck, I have to kind of hold the razor at more of a diagonal angle than straight up and down. I think because of this slight angle, I am ending up slicing myself from time to time. Otherwise, I am not sure why, but some times I can do this just fine, and other times I end up nicking myself.

I thought it was just my technique with a straight, but I am also having the issue with a safety razor, so I am starting to suspect it may be an issue with my prep or my lather, but some days I have no problem despite how consistent I am with all that.

My prep is as so...

I then face lather, adding water as necessary until the lather is free of streaks

Some days, it works perfectly, the lather is nice and lubricating, and I have no issues. Other days, it seems like the razor kind of "chatters" across the skin, leaving clear buffeted spots on the lather, and that's when the nicks happen.

I try to hold the angle and pressure as consistently as possible, but I suspect that's where my issue really lies. Should I maybe be trying to hold a more shallow angle? As far as pressure goes, I basically try to keep a feather's touch, but I suspect some days I'm more heavy handed than others.
You might try on your pass that is giving you a problem starting with your blade between a 45 degree and maybe 70 degree angle. Then try to simulate a windshield wiper motion downwards towards the base of your neck. That’s what I do instead of keeping the blade true Vertical on my neck.

I do a similar stroke on my neck where my hair grows from the centreline outwards. Good prep and fully hydrated lather are important, but also don't forget about skin stretching. You can push sideways on your throat on the opposite side that you're shaving, to push out any hollow areas. With a little practice you can push your throat and pull the skin tight at the same time, all with one hand on the opposite side that you're shaving. This has made a big difference for me.

Pictures are the way I'm used to them.
1.jpg

My prep is as so...

I also use more of a diagonal angle, an angle that is not that very far from being parallel with the jawline, especially right under the molar/bicuspid region. When using a Feather AC or wedge shaped shavette I practically lay the face of the razor down on my neck and use very light pressure and move the blade a touch slower than when shaving above the jawline. The resulting shave may not be as close as it is on my cheek or jaw, but it close enough. As my neck feels more tender and prone to abrasion.

I use a diagonal down and out under my jaw which essentially results in a WTG pass, keeping the edge at a 90 to direction of travel. below that, I just do a north to south pass on the rest of my neck, which is essentially a WTG/ATG pass. my second pass I do it the same from south to north low, then work the edge of the jaw towards my chin at a 90 degree alignment.

when I was chasing BBS under my jaw line, I would/will do a bias, scything blade alignment at about a 45 degree from the jaw hinge towards chin on a flat horizontal stroke if that makes sense. I don't really chase BBS under my jaw these days. if I can get it on that shave easily, great. and you (I) can stretch the skin under my jaw up onto my cheek to avoid all of that.

if you're working lower down, I tend to work just the toe half of the blade (lifting or floating the heal half off my neck) without trying to cut hair with the entire blade surface.

I use a diagonal down and out under my jaw which essentially results in a WTG pass, keeping the edge at a 90 to direction of travel. below that, I just do a north to south pass on the rest of my neck, which is essentially a WTG/ATG pass. my second pass I do it the same from south to north low, then work the edge of the jaw towards my chin at a 90 degree alignment.

when I was chasing BBS under my jaw line, I would/will do a bias, scything blade alignment at about a 45 degree from the jaw hinge towards chin on a flat horizontal stroke if that makes sense. I don't really chase BBS under my jaw these days. if I can get it on that shave easily, great. and you (I) can stretch the skin under my jaw up onto my cheek to avoid all of that.

if you're working lower down, I tend to work just the toe half of the blade (lifting or floating the heal half off my neck) without trying to cut hair with the entire blade surface.
Now that is something I just never considered, using only part of the blade. I am going to try that.

You could try incorporate a slide when your going down your neck instead of trying to go side to side. There’s a YT vid from Kai Triska that shows the technique to it.

I’ve only tried lateral passes on the neck ATG so working from the outside towards the adam’s apple. The hair on either side of the Adam’s apple is growing outwards. So the north-south and south-north passes are both XTG for these parts.

I will do the lower regions of my neck almost straight across with the toe of the blade. By the time I am half-way up I have to move to a 45 degree upwards pass to manage the concave curve towards my jawline.

I too have trouble shaving my neck, especially when I try to go XTG. I can almost get it working in the upper part, between the jaws, but can't for the life of me manage to do the lower part. I've looked at the pictures here, but haven't managed to get them to work for me.

It’s always a compromise on the neck.
ATG there, is difficult bordering on impossible for me because of the length of the blade and the hair angle.
Everywhere else gets bbs with a straight and the neck gets very close just not absolutely perfect.

I have struggled to consistently adhere to my advice to shave my neck with the grain using light to minimal pressure. Something must have clicked because I am finally gaining consistency in doing this and getting much improved results.

For some people, across is the only option in places, due to the way the hair grows or to how their skin reacts to ATG. So not an advantage, more a necessity.
Ah i see, so depending on the way their hair grows. Thank you! I feel lucky to have my hair grow up and down, having to go across the grain seems like a very advance technique.

Top Bottom