What's new

Going Minimalist

Congrats on finding what works for you. I've been DE shaving for about 15 months now and am down to using the same razor 98% of the time. I do have 3 other razors, but they rarely see use. I have one brush and use the same soap (VDH Deluxe) every day. I did some experimenting for the first couple months and alot of reading here where I've learned so much.

I'm now stocked up with a few hundred blades and my simple kit. I thoroughly enjoy my morning shave every day and am very happy with what I have here. Now I'm just settled in and enjoying it all :lol:

It seems that in the past year or so, if I'm fresh from the shower, I often don't even lather.
Just a Gillette New with (lately) a Wilkinson bladge gets the job done.

One thing the true minimalist understands is "less is more" especially when it comes to shaving.

The careful selection of the razor,the blade, the soap, the balm and aftershave goes to a rewarding shave every time!!

I would say I am becoming a minimalist. I have settled on everything except trying a few additional soaps. Now I need to figure out what to do with about +30 soaps/creams that I probably won't use :w00t:

Way to go! Find something(s) that work for you and keep on using it. I am like euro, once you find what works why go through the constant effort of trying new stuff only to be disappointed. What the heck, it's shaving. I get great results with what I use BBS/DFS everyday, there is nothing to chase anymore.

Minimalism is a state of mind mostly.

Way to go! Find something(s) that work for you and keep on using it. I am like euro, once you find what works why go through the constant effort of trying new stuff only to be disappointed. What the heck, it's shaving. I get great results with what I use BBS/DFS everyday, there is nothing to chase anymore.

Minimalism is a state of mind mostly.

Completely Agreed

I think I hit that the other day. I've found I get the most satisfactory shaves from a Fat Handle Tech and really don't desire anything else. I've got 3 razors and a selection of blades and soaps but I feel like I reaching that point where I've found what works and sticking to it. (Except, I must find a backup Fat Handle Tech...ya know....just in case....)

Minimalist is good! It will allow you to take what you have and make it work! It will allow your technique to progress and grow. After going. Minimalist for a while revisit some products you may have lying around...they may work out better for you this time around.

I would say I am becoming a minimalist. I have settled on everything except trying a few additional soaps. Now I need to figure out what to do with about +30 soaps/creams that I probably won't use :w00t:

Pif them (to me hopefully! [emoji1]

I'm still new and getting SAD. But I've been trying to keep any RAD in check. I believe I may be a razor minimalist. Using the same razor every day help me dial it in and get a better shave. But I do only have 2 to pick from....for now. (No, no....fight the RAD...)

Minimalist is good! It will allow you to take what you have and make it work! It will allow your technique to progress and grow. After going. Minimalist for a while revisit some products you may have lying around...they may work out better for you this time around.

SWMBO must NEVER see this post, and many others in this thread....gulp. Haha.

Last edited:
I started down the minimalist path about a year ago. I debrided my collection of soaps by repurposing them, and used the blades till I'd nearly run out. I hadn't overdone it with brushes and razors, so very little attention was necessary there. Minimalism is very liberating. I enjoy it much more by having less.

Truthfully, I have the path of minimalism planned for myself. Once I have used up all the soaps/creams I have accumulated over the last year, I'll stick to the gear I have and only buy creams from Esbjerg. Maybe an occasional Haslinger.
Having this much stuff (and compared to others here it really isn't a lot) is stressing me out in a way lol

I'm currently a minimalist, having been DE shaving for maybe a couple of months now. One Omega 49 brush, a stick of Arko, some witch hazel and a styptic pencil, and about half of a sampler pack from tryablade.com. I even face-lather, not even a mug.

I do have three DE razors though, an EJ DE89 (my first) and two birth quarter Gillettes (a Super Speed and a Super-109). Everything fits in the medicine cabinet with room left over for toothbrushing items and wifey things.

I have to be frugal with space because the people who built this place thought putting a pedestal sink in the master bath was a good idea. :blink:

I think I've had about 75 brushes and two dozen razors since I started wet shaving four years ago. I purged quite a bit of stuff last year and am down to about 6 brushes and two razors now. I plan on purging half of those very soon as well.

I shave daily so there's no reason for me to have more than one razor. It's not like it needs to dry out between shaves. I use a milder razor to keep irritation down. Same thing with blades. I use one type of blade because it's predictable.

With brushes, I don't see the need for more than 2-3. If you like badger or boar, it's good to have two of them so they can dry out fully between shaves. Kind of like rotating leather shoes. It's also good to have a synthetic which dries quickly for travel.

I have been killing off soaps and creams and resisting new purchases for a while. It is beneficial to buy several soaps at once if you can save on shipping, but often I can get one from Amazon in just a couple days with free shipping. If a soap is discontinued, I'll find another one to use. Otherwise I'm planning on using just one soap or cream and when it runs low order a new one.

Two completed 3-month restraints have been hugely helpful in curbing my I-gotta-have-it tendencies. One razor, one brush, one bowl, one of two razor brands, one AS, one balm. Happy shaves.

Careful readers can guess that I am a fool for creams and soaps. A month ago, I cleaned off the laughably jammed counter-top and put 3/4 of my soaps, creams, AS, and balms away in my handy hall cabinet. I'll use them up and only replace the few that are total keepers, but I have a log way to go before I need to order anything.

I like this fine. Is it minimalist? Probably never, because there are 6-7 soaps I love and will always have around. So I'm not the Robert Ryman of shavers, rather the Agnes Martin.

I find that I enjoy the simplicity. The same razor, brush, soap and aftershave each day - they're old friends and "fit" me just right.

I'm not against switching up on a soap (I do like Proraso Green) now and then and will do so when I feel like it. Aftershaves? Probably the same - I love Aqua Velva - but I just tend to find what works and stick with it. I like the old saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". To me skipping around from razor to razor just lends toward a not so perfect shave, as you don't generally master something in life if you only use it once a week (or less?). I prefer to KNOW that tool like the back of my hand - to be able to wield it with the precision only acquired through countless repetitions. It becomes a part of you over time. I find enjoyment in this, so being a minimalist is my nature.

Top Bottom